Cooling A Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carolyn

Reaction score
I thought I'd create a whole new post just so that people who missed it, could see it.Pamnock has once again given us great information. Iadded some hints/signs as to what you should watch out for.

Rabbits do not take the heat well, and caution to be taken not to let them play in the sun on warm/humid days.

Heat should keep it in the forefront of our minds each day.The weather here went from 79 degrees on Monday to 92 degrees on Tuesday. I check the weather daily to be sure that as the day progresses and I'm not there, the rabbits are able to stay cool.

Obviously you don't want your rabbit or his/her cage to be in the sun as you can lose them quickly if exposed to it more than a minute or two.

Here's info on keeping rabbits cool:

Air movement is required for proper cooling in very humid areas or moisture cannot evaporate. While many say to never blow a fan directly on the rabbit, I recommend it when it's extremely hot and humid. Place the fan a distance from the rabbit and have it gently blowing over the hot bunn. A little water can be placed on the ears, which serves to cool as it evaporates.

Understanding how the rabbit cools itself helps us to provide the most comfortable environment for our rabbits:

The rabbit is cooled by 3 primary factors: Respiration, Ears and Nasal Mucosa.

80% of heat dissipation in rabbits occurs through the evaporation of moisture during respiration (breathing). Fans help this cooling processby speeding evaporation.

Cooling also occurs through nasal mucosa (by air passing over mucous membranes).

The ears are also important for cooling as the blood moves to the farthest (coolest) points away from the body core.

The rabbit will also stretch it's body out as far as possible to cool through radiation/convection. Rabbits do not have functional sweat glands, and only loose a small amount of moisture through the skin due to perspiration. The rabbit's fur further inhibits the process of the rabbit being able to cool itself by evaporation of moisture from the skin.

Since the rabbit cools primarily through respiration, we want to provide air movement throughout the cage to evaporate the moisture from the rabbit's breath. In a serious situation of heat stress, you will notice moisture around the rabbits face (especially around the mouth and nose) because the moisture is not evaporating.

A frozen bottle may be of only limited help without the proper air movement and evaporation.

Pam Nock

Tips for prevention of Heat Stroke:

Heatstroke can kill a rabbit very quickly. Some things that you can do to prevent such an untimely and unnecessary death for your lagamorph are listed below.

1) Be sure to provide your rabbit shade. Rabbits can get sun/heat stroke just by having their cage in the sun. Best to be sure the location of the cage is away from where the sun rays will beam in.

2) Don't subject your rabbit to extreme temperatures: hot or air conditioning. Air conditioning can be used, but it's best to have your rabbit in a separate room so that the room doesn't get too cold or the air isn't blowing on the rabbit.

3) Be sure they have a lot of water; they tend to drink more in the summer to stay cool.

4) You can use a fan. I like toaimthe fanso that the air will reach part of the cage, but if the rabbit feels it's too much,s/he can move out of the way. If you're going to keep your fan on all day, best to keep it on low.

5) If the rabbit is indoors, on really hot days Iclose the shades to keep out as muchheat as possible.

6) If the rabbit is outside, you may want to mist the ears a bit in the heat of the afternoon.

7) Some people fill old milk cartons or soda bottles with cold water and put them in the cage with their rabbit so that s/he can lean up against it if it gets very hot.

80 degrees fahrenheit or above is dangerous for a rabbit.

SYMPTOMS/SIGNS OF DANGER OF HEAT STROKE:

1) Rabbit is laying stretched out

2) Panting or heavy breathing

3) Sometimes there's foaming at the mouth

4) Muzzle is wet

WHAT SHOULD YOU DO?

1) Get the rabbit to a cool area. Get a fan, and put it on him/her with a speed of medium or low.

2) You can dip your rabbit in a Lukewarm bath if it is almost lifeless. Dip up to the ears. Never immerse the rabbit completely in the water. You have to work on bringing its temperature down slowly. Putting it in a cold bath or directly applying ice to it's ears is not recommended or good for the rabbit. That could lead into other problems of stress and shock to its system and you could lose the rabbit that way.

3) Put a cold washcloth on the rabbit's ears. You could wrap ice cubes in a washcloth and apply to the inside and outside of the ears. The blood from the rest of the body will circulate into the rabbit's system once cooled.

4)Keep him/her hydrated, even if you have to put some water in a syringe to give orally to keep the fluids in his system up. The rabbit may have to get an intravenous tube.

5) Try to keep calm so that the rabbit doesn't get stressed.

6) Put an old milk carton or soda bottle in the cage filled with cold water so that the rabbit can lean up against it.

Happy Summer!

-Carolyn

Adding a couple articles I just found:

An HRS article:

http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/warm-weather.html

And a Zooh Corner article:

http://www.mybunny.org/info/summer.htm

--Rosie* aka maherwoman

Great Idea and post Carolyn

I just wanted to add that my rabbit likes to stretch out on the tilesin front of my fire place they are much cooler then the rug. I havethought about going to a lows or home depot and seeing if they have anyon their clearance rack and putting one in my bunny cage.

Found this info really interesting. I am going to try using the cooled plastic bottles and see how my bunnies like them.

Although we do not tend to suffer much with the hot weather over herelike you guys in the US do, we are lucky if we get into the 80's in thesummer it is mostly in the 70's!! Oh forgot the rain as well! Althoughit hasn't rained for about a week now.

When we took Sherman to Bunnyfest it wasrather warm outside and I didn't want him to get overheated in hiscarrier in transport, so I put a frozen water bottle in with him as an"air conditioner". He absolutely loved it! :)

Thanks for this info Carolyn - like Foofy saidover here we don't get extreme heat - but this week it has been so warm:)itgot to 30 degrees (heatwave for Manchester :D!)It is really good adviceas heatstroke can be devastating fora bun. So thanks again :)

Glad you're all enjoying it. Thanks for your nice comments.

-Carolyn

I have a dog a few years back who was in the backyard in the sun for less than one hour. I went to check on her an shewas walking around like she was dizzy. I put her in my bath tub and putnice cold water on a wash cloth and rubbed it on her. I also made herswollow water by giving it to her through an eye dropper. From that dayforward she went down hil. She had expericned heat stroke :(

I am going to by a fan and put in on outside with Flopsy, since he isoutside in his hutch all day. I always have a cold milk jug with waterin it. I freeze it in the freezer and then when I go to work I put itin his hutch. I don't want to have to expericence another heat strokeepisode of my beloveds ever again.

Thank you so much Carloyn for carring about rabbits. The world needs more people like you.

Excellent post Carolyn! Brilliant timing too-Jadeloves a washcloth on her ears-thanks for the great advice :)Iused to keep them out of the bathroom but now, since they are getting abit calmer they use it for a relaxing cool down-Jade likes to lay onthe tiles which are like a shelf at the end of the tub, got a pic forya too, just have to send it..

Cher

The stretching out is not a cause for concern. Many rabbits will stretch out when laying down.

You should become very concerned if your rabbit is stretched out withit's head flungback, breathing heavy and wet around theface. These are signs that the rabbit's body is not beingadequately cooled and the problem is becoming serious.

Pam

wow this is great info, these days the temp hasbeen getting close to 80degrees F, im going to print out the info as areminder, thanks :D

Hey, that's lots of great info.

I thought of something a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure how feasibleit is, because I haven't gotten to test it out yet. You canpurchase electric water coolers that plug into wall outlets and have aninternalcooling system, probably similar to arefrigerator. Simply (yeah right...simply)cut ahole in the side of one of these coolerswhich will serve asan entry way to the cooler. The bunny can enter through thehole, then hang half out the hole, stay completely inside...just go infrom time to time...whatever he likes or deemes necessary for stayingcool and/or comfortable.

This would be a great idea if it actually worked, but I have yet to tryit. It's actually like a little self air conditioned home forthe bunny. My parents have a portion oftheir garageturned into a make-shift room.They're thinking ofputting the rabbits out there, butthey have to keep it coolsomehow, because Texas is very hot and dry.They'veinstalled a wall air conditioning unit for the garage, and the otheridea was the small electric water cooler with added entry for bunny.

So, if someone thinks this is an interesting idea and they have themeans to do before I do, please let us know how it works!I'll post if I ever decide to make one of these. Let me knowif there's anything dangerous about this (besides the obvious of thebunny chewing the cord into and becoming toasty). :(

- Brian C.

Thanks a lot for this post. Churchill's cage isright infront of a french door and the sun is on him often. We thoughthe liked the sun becasue when we put a shade up he would scrunchhimself in the little pocket of sunlight. We have central air so itnever gets too warm in here. When we saw him stretched out in the sunwe thought he was enjoying it :shock:Nowwe know better

Well, as you describe it, he may be simplyenjoying the sun bathing. If the air sufficiently cools himand he "chooses" to bask in the sun, he is probably fine. Ijust would provide him with access to shade by draping a towel orsomething across part of his cage and just watching for signssuggesting he is ill at ease or or otherwise uncomfortable .

There are times when bunnies do love to bask in the sun.

Buck

Latest posts

Back