Cooling A Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,

I was wondering if 67 degrees is too cool for a rabbit, he is in a roominthe shade away from the vent. i dont want him to get to cold but iwant him to be comfortable too. can you please offer some advice for mylittle coco.

I'm so glad you got another rabbit, anewpassion.

I'm very sorry about Snow White. I wonder if she hadsomething else going on other than heat stroke. I'm going tobring back a post by BunnyMommy. I highly recommend you readthe poem on the first page - it's entitled RainbowBridge. It's given a lot of comfort to those that havelost a member of the family. Be sure to post your memorial toSnow White, if you wish. It's our way of giving tribute anddedication to those rabbits, people, and other animals that are now ina better place.

I bumped up the post Lo/Hi's from Buck Jones as to temperatures.

I'm sure Coco is in for a wonderful life in your loving home.

-Carolyn

oh my...thats so sad! I know how hard it is. Ivegone through it 2x and its the hardest thing in the whole world!! Restin peace cutie rudy rascal!!

My one bunny Chloe LOVES going outside for somesun and fresh air! He's an inside rabbit ( all mine are), and everyonce in awhile I hold him and go outside and he will just lay his headon my shoulder and just sit there. I only go out for like 2 min ifthat. just to get some sun. but he loves it. and his little nose goescrazy with all the fresh air! its so cute.
during summer i always put some cold water and my fingers and rub mybunny ear and he just loves that too. he'll lay all spread out when ido that. so that works really good for anyone wondering!

Where I live it is in the 100's for most of thesummer. In order to cut down on air conditioning bills wekeep fans running 24 hours a day. My little Bagel the bunnyparks herself in front of them (fur blowing) whenever shecan. Although I don't let her out in the heat, I neverrealized how helpful they must be to her. As a direct result,she loves all kinds of electric motors, the vacuum, and our electriclawnmower. Go figure!

Ellen

Strange how they grow to love the fans isn't it,Ellenking? Vash has his own fan blowing 24/7 to part of hiscage. That plus air conditioning, and water spritz to theears as needed keeps him pretty comfortable.

My two buns live outside in the barn, what tempis to extreme? I plan on keeping them outside in the summer, in anoutdoor pen, until about an hour past dark before bringing them in. Ifit's really hot, should i put a fan in their barn door pens..........Basically, what temp. do i need to put a fan on them, and at whatspeed?

lol, thanks,

Ellie

I livein Massachusetts and I show from March to October usually. In thesummer months shows are outdoors under tents. You shouldalways try to keep the temp as consitant as possible. For example my4-H club and I use frozen water bottles at fairs or at home if it isreally really hot, or if the bunny is laying down because it ishot. Another trick I learned was if a rabbit was reallyreally hot and over heated, like about to pass out, is to give it asmall piece of watermelon. They are attracted to the sugar, and it getswater in them if they arent drinking. My Uncle an ARBA judgetaught me those tricks many many years ago when I was just startingout. This is my first post so I guess I'll tell you what Ido. I breed and show pure bred Mini Lops and I have beenshowing since I was 5. I got my first Bun when I was 2 so I've hadrabbits for 14 years. I have gotten top honors in 4-H showmanship twiceand BOS and 1 leg with my pregnant black doe Kimmy twice. Ionly started showing her september 2004. I also have a broken orangebuck. The are both Mini Lops. My sister has a gold tip steelFrench Lop. I am In the process of getting more buns and my next showis in 2 weeks. I'm so excited! If you have any questions justask. Also Mini Lops are my fav and I've had them for 14years.

Welcome aboard DownFarEast,

Never heard of the watermelon, but what a great idea in case they get into trouble.

You might want to amend your Profile so that your email address isn'tdisplayed as your location. Unfortunately, we do get occasional trollsaround here and would hate to see them spam your email as one did tous.

-Carolyn

I froze a soda bottle with water & mylittle Star was soooo suspicious of it. She wouldn't get nearit! I did pick her up, and set her right next to it and shehardly moved away from her ice all day yesterday. :D

95 as a high today :X grrrrr....

In the hottest part of summer it will be 110 here :X:X

I know that 80 degrees fahrenheit is the upper limit for rabbits, but can they tolerate 77, 78? Will I need to set the A/C for a lower temperature?

Another good cooling technique is to drape a wettowel over a part of the cage. Coupling this with a fan or placementnear an open window can provide a sort of air conditioning.

MAN, is it Hot here today!!

Keep those buns cool!!

-Carolyn

also, im not sure if Carolyn said this but u canput a damp cold towel over the cage then put the fan behind it sothe air can go through the towel creating cold airto be blown into the cage. I havn't tried it yet but i've heard aboutit. if anyone does try it , make sure to tell us how it goes:)

Latest posts

Back