Cooling A Rabbit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey, I dont know if this would work for bunnies but I do it in the summer to keep my rats cool since we dont have an AC.

Fill a large bowl with water and place a large terra cotta pot in thewater. Then putboth in the fridge overnight (leavethe pot in the bowl of water). The water gets cold from thefridge and the pot absorbs the water. Then in the morningtake it out and wipe the pot dry. Then just put it in thecage on it's side.

It gets really cool inside the pot and my rats just love it. They sleep inside it.

It may not work well for a larger bunny unless you getareally big pot and somehow stuff it in your fridge, but it wouldprobably work well for a smaller rabbit.

Just an idea :D

-Madelon

Good Morning, all.............

Well, I am absolutelyheartbroken............... ****, I wish I would have read this threadbefore now............Yesterday morning, I went out to feed my 3 bunnsand I noticed that my "Rudy Rascal's" muzzle was wet. I just thought hehad stuck his muzzle in his water dish. It was real hot yesterday,unusually so.... Anyways, around 1:00 I went out to wet them all down,check on their water levels and put some frozen water bottles in theircages and I noticed Rudy was lying stretched out and his head was offto the right and he was breathing very heavily! I immediately snatchedhim up and ran inside with him and got my beau on the phone calling thevet. Before they could answer, my Rudy Rascal died in my arms.....:(Ga, I am soooo sick about this! It was hard enough loosinghim and then I get on here, just now and read the topic of this postand find out that I very well could have saved him if I had just hadrealized what his wet muzzle meant, yesterday MORNING!!! I feel soooterrible; so responsible for his death! So, today, I brought both myother bunns inside the house. I am not willing to lose another one. Iam so dearly sorry for what I did to my Rudy Rascal. I don't know how Iwill ever forgive myself. Here isa pic I took of him justlast month......may he rest in peace with my two dogs, Gretchen& Sassy...

What a sad story. I feel for you andyour heartache, but please don't blame yourself. We all tryour best to provide for our animals, but sadly we never know everythingnor do we have a crystal ball to peer into the future and preventtragedy. Know that others will read of your experience, andbe more aware of the dangers of heat prostration.

Pam

How do I beginto forgive myself? We buried Rudy beside the other rabbits cages in ashoebox. Last night, all night long, I dreamt that Rudy came alive inthe shoebox and dug his way out. I kept also dreaming that his littlenose was wiggiling again. I am so heartbroken, Pam.........please prayfor me...........

Lovely Bren wrote:
How do I begin to forgivemyself? We buried Rudy beside the other rabbits cages in a shoebox.Last night, all night long, I dreamt that Rudy came alive in theshoebox and dug his way out. I kept also dreaming that his little nosewas wiggiling again. I am so heartbroken, Pam.........please pray forme...........
Oooh, Brenda! You don't ever forgive yourself, but as timegoes on you'll be more accepting and the pain will hurt less.Our best bun ever, died last April to some kind of pulmonaryinfection. Like you, in retrospect, I missed some physicalsigns that had I noticed at the time they wereoccurring,might have led to prolonging his darling littlelife. You didn't and I didn't.

We fumbled the ball because we are human and they were rabbits,incapable of verbalizing to us that they were sick. We, both,know how unintentional those omissions on our parts were, and I thinkour buns will forgive us when they do greet us again across the RainbowBridge. At least, they will have passed on with thereassurance that those circumstances will not ever be repeated again byyou, or me, and maybe some rabbits will live a longer life forit; not only our own, but also rabbits owned by others whomay read these posts, and posts like them.

My heart aches for you. We will pray for you and I think yourdream was a sign that he has successfully emerged on the other side andwill be patiently waiting for you there. Our Maxie "sent" ussuch a sign, too.

Buck
P.S. Sometime, when you'refeeling a bit better and up to it, you may want to accesshttp://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=111&forum_id=1&highlight=Buck+Jonestolearn of our Maxie's demise.

Lovely Bren wrote:
How do I begin to forgivemyself? We buried Rudy beside the other rabbits cages in a shoebox.Last night, all night long, I dreamt that Rudy came alive in theshoebox and dug his way out. I kept also dreaming that his little nosewas wiggiling again. I am so heartbroken, Pam.........please pray forme...........

Time. You aregoing through part of the normalgrieving process and this is normal. There are many,including myself, who have experienced similar losses and wondered howwe could have missed signs that we now feel were so obvious.We are only human and not perfect. There are many hearts onthis board heavy with your loss and helping to bear your burden ofgrief.

Pam

Dearest LovelyBren,

Pam and Buck speak the truth. I, too, had lost a rabbit that I stillblame myself for his untimely death because of weather conditions.

The only good that comes out of it is that the rabbits that come intoyour life afterwards will not be lost due to weather conditions again.

As Pamnock said, our hearts are heavy knowing what you're goingthrough, LovelyBren. Go easy on yourself. You're in great pain and youdon't need to cause anymore to yourself.

-Carolyn

This is a great post about hot summer days!

I have a question about winter. My bun is an indoor bun and Ilive in Virginia I moved here from California where the weather is justwhat it is either warm or its raining. Im still trying to getused to the weather here on the East Coast but I did find that In theSummer time its wet and in the winter time its Dry.

It gets so dry here for me that I sometimes suffer a nosebleed here andthere because of no moisture in the air and Im wanting to get ahumidifier however with reading this post Im not real sure if thats agood idea with a Bun in my apartment do we know if this is a good orbad idea?

Hi Kassandrah,

In the top 5 posts, there is a thread called "Warming your Rabbit in the Fall and Winter months."

The humidifier wouldn't cause a problem if your houseisdry.I wouldn't put it directly nexttothe bunny, but in the roomisfine.

-Carolyn

this was a great thread, it will help me heapswhen i get my rabbits! I live in Australia and lately we have had somehot as days the hottest was 42 degrees celsius ( i dont know what thatis in farenheit) This will help me alot! Thnx! :p

*Becc*

huh.. my rabbit always like to stretch its feet all the way out.. a funny sight..

but it is in my house with shade and plenty of water..

haha.. but anyway.. great info~!

really wonder hows life for rabbits in america!

i have 3 indoor rabbits and two of them i findstretched out alot together and its not too hot or too colddown where they are

they also have lots of water and food where they can get at it

i am a new bunnie owner well they actually belong to the kids but i do most of the taking care of them

so i am not sure why they do it but they look ok and eat and drink well

:)

It's fine when they're stretched out, rabbitsoften relax like that. It's when they've got the other symptoms aswell, and it's warm/hot that there's a problem :).

Kate

Thank you somuch for that Information.Ill have to watch the news more often being Iam in Flordia and it tends to get in the 90's I love my Bunie and Idont want to hurt it in anyway. So thanks agian for that GreatInfo

~Ashley~

Hello,

Can someone please help? I got a rabbit a couple of weeks ago and shewas my world. My first rabbit, and that is how i got the name a newpashion. i feel in love.

i got her a nice cage, lots of toys, water, food and everything ithought she needed. But i made a mistake, i put her in the back roomand closed the vent off, cause we keep our house about 67 degrees and iwas afraid she would get cold. For the time that i have had her she hasbeen so happy, well this weekend past was the warmest days of the monthand i had left and i checked on hre before i left and she was fine thenwhen i came home i checked on her and she was fine but when i woke upmonday morning she was dead. I cried all day. I couldnt figure out whati did wrong and now i know. She had a heatstroke. I dont think i haveever been so heart broken. We buried her yesterday but notwithout tears. And i went last night and got me another one but afterlots of reading yesterday about rabbits i know have the vent opend thecage out of the heat my new rabbit is very well protected. I will neverbe able to replace my Snowwhite. But i have to move on and learn frommy mistakes. :(can someone please tell me what is the righttemperature to keep a rabbit cool? i am so scared that me keeping mynew little rabbit at 67 will hurt him. what is the right temp to keepat to keep rabbit happy and nice and cool? Please help.

Latest posts

Back