cookies time might be coming to an end

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ally with cookie

Reaction score
cookies time here might be comming to an end soon. my mom really cant put up with his smell. she has put up with it for almost 3 years now but she is really on the breaking point.
i have a large room like 14 feet x 16 feet and it stinks horribly. its a very strong foul smell. it didnt happen till he turned 6 months old so everyone assumed horamones and spraying. i saved up $ 200 to get him neutered with the advise that would help and that was almost a year ago. i really dont want to give him away since his next owner will experince the same thing and then he will be passed home to home.
i've tried all types of bedding. carefresh,wood pellets,yesterdays news, aspen shavings, kitty litter, and everything mixed together and changed it daily with no luck. i've tried adding vanilla ( was sugested by a breeder) to his water along with yucca extract. i dont want to see him put down, but the only other option is let him live outside but he's a house bunny and its to cold here in the winter and i could never do that. he's my little cuddly boy. the vet was a waste of time and money as he only suggested i was using the wrong bedding

i really need some advise or i may have to let him go on which i really dont want to do but i dont want my mom to snap and force him to go

I'm at a loss as to give you any advice.

I have 6 rabbits all living in our house, 2 in our bedroom, 2 have their own bedroom, 1 in the computer room and 1 in our Family Room, and our house does not smell. We use wood stove pellets as litter, I have a plastic screen on the litter so I empty the poos twice a day. I clean out the soiled litter every morning.

Have you tried an air purifier, I don't know if this would work.

Susan:?

It could point to something being medically wrong with him, since healthy rabbits generally do not have such a strong odor, unless something is wrong.

I too have 5 rabbits in a room, and hardly ever have any smell unless someone's peed outside their cage or made a stinky poop.

Can you describe the smell? Is it a skunky smell? Ammonia? musty?

Is there a window in the room? What about putting in a fan (cover the cord with a cord protector so he can't chew it). Might be a lack of air flow that's make any smell sit and smell worse because the rooms confined?

My first thought was scent glands too. I have four bunnies in the house - a bonded female pair and one single male and one single female - all altered. They are in three separate living areas and share a free run area. There is nary a smell in my house. My point being....there must be a cause (and therefore a solution); bunnies just don't smell bad.

i have a air purifyer as i have allergies to his hay but he needs it so i have the purrifyer right next to his cage. as for windows i have 2 exactly oppisite to each other that are almost always open except when it raining or extremly cold.
i dont know how to describe the smell, mom describes it the same way as i do. extremly strong and foul. i've air out the room befor so there was no smell left with my windows and took cookie and his cage outside, cleaned his cage with bleach,and let it rinse for a few hours while the room was airing, but as soon as we got back inside and he got settled in again the smell was back and just as strong the next day.
im pretty sure it isnt his scent glands as you can small this strong smell off his liter box when cleaning it out side. its late here now but first thing tomorrow morning i'll pinn him down and clean them again

Are you sure that there isn't anything wrong with him medically? I've got 3 buns and you hardly ever smell them. My one boy, Max, has stronger smelling poops that Alaska and Gixxer, but it's not foul....but I will start to smell it on the day litter boxes get changed. Alaska was smelling kind of stinky a couple of weeks ago, but it was her scent glands that needed to be cleaned out. THAT smells really foul, are you sure that's not what you're smelling?

Do you know if it's his pee or poop that is smelly?

Besides scent glands, the only thing I can think of is coccidia. It's an intestinal parasite that many rabbits have, but most only have a very tiny amount and it never bothers them. If a rabbit has a lot, it can cause some diarrhea problems and is usually said to smell really bad. I've only dealt with this with a hamster-sized baby bun so I didn't notice an unusual smell (that and my nose is dulled from working in the chemical industry).

Coccidia is easily treated with a prescription med. The vet can testhis poop forit although it's not always easy to see.

Also, wipe everything down with plain white vinegar. It's fantastic at getting rid of urine stains/smells.

I hope you can figure this out and keep him!

Latest posts

Back