Convincing My Mom!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My mom wouldn't have a part in the care. My dad is retiring in less than 2 months, so he will be there when I'm gone.

I don't have a job yet, but I get money from my grandparents, and I save it, my dad would be willing to help out with vet costs.

My mom usually comes to love my pets, I think she especially will with a bunny!

Why don't you say to her then, that you having a rabbit won't affect her financially, carewise, smellwise lol or anything.
If she really won't even have to look at the bun, then surely she has no reason to oppose it?

She just doesn't want one in the house, and I think she's afraid it will become her responsibility! But slowly, me and my Dad think she is coming around. She doesn't get all mad when we're talking about them, and she even agreed that this cute little rabbit in a book I have was adorable. So, i'm working on it. & I'm having a big garage sale in June, the same day as a rabbit show i'm going to. & the money from my garage sale is going to the bun, if I can get one. :)

Here's a little tip....I would have the garage sale the day before you go to the rabbit show. ;)

By the time your sale was over, the show might be over as well. ;)

You might get caught up in the sale and then end up missing the show, or you might not make any sales at all - and then you will be upset.

If you plan the sale before the show, then your schedule will also be less hectic. ;)

Just my $.2 worth. ;)

I can't. Its a 3-family sale, and on a saturday morning. I'll be at the sale at like 6:30 in the morning, for a few hours. Then My dad will come pick me, up and go to the show a few hours. then if the sale is still going on, i'll go back there.

I will still have my birthday money for a rabbit/cage etc, just in case.

But, thank you for your input, and concern!

MCatCar wrote:
I can't. Its a 3-family sale, and on a saturday morning. I'll be at the sale at like 6:30 in the morning, for a few hours. Then My dad will come pick me, up and go to the show a few hours. then if the sale is still going on, i'll go back there.

I will still have my birthday money for a rabbit/cage etc, just in case.

But, thank you for your input, and concern!

Ahhh, I see. :) That makes sense then.

Does your mom know that you have money to pay for everything to start-up? That might make her change her mind since you are proving your responsible by paying for everything yourself.
Why not take your mom to the rabbit show too? That might just be the thing she needs to say yes to you! :p

Emily

My mom doesn't want to go, and she has to stay at the garage sale :(

& I'm getting money from my birthday from her and my dad, and she knew that is what I was going to pay with it for, plus grandparents money!

This sounds like me a couple years ago when I got my Holland Lop, Merlin. My mum, also, was very opposed. I think it was a bit easier for me though because I wrote her a note and a did a report thing on rabbits, and they let me have mine.

Although a few members have said it's not fair to have a rabbit in the house when your mum doesn't like them, personally my mum's made a transformation. Now she tells everybody about how wonderful my rabbit is, and admits that now that she's lived with one she likes them a lot more. She even let me switch from having him outside, which was originally one of the rules, to having him inside for the winter. Good luck!

I just wanted to say that I am in my first year of college and I have a rabbit. It all depends on whether or not you have a friend that has an apartment that is willing to house your rabbit for you. My boyfriend has an apartment and Basil stays with him. I technically "live" in a dorm room, but I've been staying at my boyfriend's apartment since October so that I can take care of my bun. ;) I also have a few friends who live in a suite style dorm who all have bunnies because they all love them and agree that they wanted them there. They all have a back up plan if the RAs say that they have to move the buns out of the dorm. So, its not as impossible as its been made to sound to have a bun in college, you just need the right connections and a back up plan in case you have to move your bun out of the dorm room or something.

ETA: Also, I am getting an apartment in August when I start my sophomore year. I am getting it with a roommate, so we are splitting the cost of rent which makes it approx $265/mo for each of us. Not too bad. My parents are paying the rent for my dorm room atm, and are willing to pay for my apartment rent as well. So, like I said, not as impossible as its been made to sound...

i went through the same thing as you . my mom did NOT want a pet rabbit . when she finally agreed ( 3 years later ) she loves butsy !!. she will pick her upand pat her and spoils her . wich really suprised me . she was worried about the smell to , but guess what.. the litter box for the cat smells way worst :p . its easy to get attached to rabbits ... bring ur mom to a pet store so she can see them and pick one up, she will see they arent bad !!!

If it's your mom thats going to have to pay for vet bills/food/hay ect.. i'd just do what she says is best and if she says no, then you need to respect her wishes.

If you plan to pay all the expenses (and it isn't a one time 'fee') i'd just talk to her about what her concerns are, and you can come back on here to check for references.

Parents don't always know what's best or what they really want for that matter. When I was 16 or 17(forgot the exact age) my mom didnt think geting a rabbit was a good idea but I talked her into it. In fact she ended up finding lacey and bringing me to see her she LOVES my bunnie now and now three years later when I am about to get another she's almost as excited as me. I'm shure it's becuse what i told her is true she has only had to feed my rabit a few times when i would not be home the next day. she has never had to clean the cage, and lacey lives in my room.

Back