Convincing my dad to let me breed rabbits...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sydnie....you've gotten more great advice on here. I just wanted to say that for 13 your typing and dialogue skills are amazing. You "sound" much older than just 13. You sound like a very smart young lady and you seem very sincere about your new venture. I wish you the best of luck!

While I admire your passion, and you seem to have a realistic view on what to expect, I am a little worried.

First off, though I do not doubt your maturity, you are 13. Therefore, you are not legally able to work. Is doing odd jobs really going to be enough to cover all of the vet bills of your current rabbits and your breeding stock? All of the food? Cages? Toys?

Also, rabbits can live for over ten years, but you're going to be going away to college in five. Will you have to disassemble your rabbitry after just a few years? Or leave your mother to take care if it on her own?

Also, interests change a lot at your age. I am not trying to say that you are not dedicated, but socially things start to really pick up around your age. Are you willing to sacrifice that time with friends because you will have so many animals to care for?

I'm not trying to be negative, just realistic. Just wanting to make sure that you are weighing all of the options. And, I am sure that some of my concern is that I do not see rabbits as live-stock, like they are treated a lot of times in 4-h.

I do appreciate you bringing these questions up Nelsons_Mom!
During the summer I babysit my cousins at least once a week and I earn anywhere between $5 and $20 every time I watch them. I also fill in fir my older sister babysitting my other cousins whenever she is out of town or a judo. I earn $20 for half a day and $40 for a whole day. I'll also be saving up my premiums from 4-H shows.
Breeding rabbits isn't something I'm planning on doing this year, or even next year.

I also live in a college town, so I'll be attending ISU, which is right across town.

I do not think of my rabbits as just livestock, they are my pets.
I am quite interested to hear how you view having rabbits, as opposed to the way 4-H sees them.

Hill-Hutch wrote:
I do appreciate you bringing these questions up Nelsons_Mom!
During the summer I babysit my cousins at least once a week and I earn anywhere between $5 and $20 every time I watch them. I also fill in fir my older sister babysitting my other cousins whenever she is out of town or a judo. I earn $20 for half a day and $40 for a whole day. I'll also be saving up my premiums from 4-H shows.
Breeding rabbits isn't something I'm planning on doing this year, or even next year.

I also live in a college town, so I'll be attending ISU, which is right across town.

I do not think of my rabbits as just livestock, they are my pets.
I am quite interested to hear how you view having rabbits, as opposed to the way 4-H sees them.

I'm glad you've thought of those things, too! It shows a lot of understanding of what you are truly undertaking.

I'm not against showing rabbits, or the breeding of them necessarily from pedigreed lines that have had a low rate or health problems to better the breed and the temperament of that breed. It's just when I think of 4h rabbits, I think of them on wire mesh floor stacked on top of each other inside of a barn as livestock, not as appreciated members of a family. Not saying that people who keep their rabbits that way do not love and care for them, I just couldn't imagine how impersonal that would be or how it would diminish a lot of the things that I love about keeping rabbits (seeing them binky around the room and cuddling up for a movie together).

Our first 3 rabbits came from a breeder who didn't really know what she was doing care wise. They are absolutely spoiled now! They are allowed to run around the yard or in a box we made for them.

I'm sure that,especially with my mom helping and my bunny loving friends around, any breeding stock we have will be just as spoiled as our pet buns! Lol!

I do plan on buying those stackable wire cages and modifying them with pieces of plywood and they will each get to have outside time to play and be silly.

As you seem to be a long-term thinker, you'll probably want to think about spaying the does after their breeding days are over. It will lengthen their lives by eliminating their chances of uterine cancer.

Breeding does stop producing litters at 3-4 years of age.

We have a doe that is actually 5 years old estimated that is still living happily. We have not invested in spaying her as she has no behavioral problems and is in good health except for maybe being slightly overweight. Also her age is a big concern and although I work at an animal clinic that could alter her, I do not want to put her under for a spay. I wish my mom would allow me to keep her because I want to see how long she will live without being spayed. I agree for a pet home it would be more beneficial if she was already spayed but you do want to think about what you will do with your breeding stock that gets older and is unable to produce anymore. I love all of my starting stock and would love to keep them all but to have a rabbitry means keeping productive animals. I will most likely find homes for mine but I know it will be a hard process because most people want young and cute bunnies with years to live.

As far as finding dwarfs for your mom. Make sure she understands that breed is definitely not a cheap one and also very competitive in quality of the rabbits. My mom raised himis before her polish and they are the sweetest rabbits ever but so hard to find homes and show people because their demand is very unpredictable

woahlookitsme wrote:
Breeding does stop producing litters at 3-4 years of age.

We have a doe that is actually 5 years old estimated that is still living happily. We have not invested in spaying her as she has no behavioral problems and is in good health except for maybe being slightly overweight. Also her age is a big concern and although I work at an animal clinic that could alter her, I do not want to put her under for a spay. I wish my mom would allow me to keep her because I want to see how long she will live without being spayed. I agree for a pet home it would be more beneficial if she was already spayed but you do want to think about what you will do with your breeding stock that gets older and is unable to produce anymore. I love all of my starting stock and would love to keep them all but to have a rabbitry means keeping productive animals. I will most likely find homes for mine but I know it will be a hard process because most people want young and cute bunnies with years to live.

As far as finding dwarfs for your mom. Make sure she understands that breed is definitely not a cheap one and also very competitive in quality of the rabbits. My mom raised himis before her polish and they are the sweetest rabbits ever but so hard to find homes and show people because their demand is very unpredictable
Excellent advise Sarah. Anyone who thinks of starting a rabbitry should have these thoughts and plans in place before even starting. Still thinking and planning. It's my responsibility to my rabbits. True commitment.

Regarding, older breed stock vs young cute. Young cute will win. I got mine young because I wanted to experience a bunny. True novice. But I have to say, now that I'm more in tuned with bunnies, experience getting to know an older bunny is something I would definitely consider in the future.

And what Sarah says about the dwarfs is true. Regarding expense, quality and unpredictable in demand. I'm going very slowly with my Lion heads. Though I like them, they are not ARBA recognized, and not for everyone as a pet. Just being responsible. Cautious. Maybe too cautious, but that's just me.

Look forward to hearing your future Rabbitry plans. Truly wishing you all the luck.

K:)

Hmm... it sounds like Frosty is getting to the age of spaying, she is about 3 and she has only had 7 kits, 5 of which are alive and well. She's only had 2 litters.

I'm considering doing therapy rabbits with my older, more docile and affectionate rabbits. As for non-therapy rabbits, I'm thinking of maybe starting a project if I get into breeding rabbits.
Maybe talk some of the local breeders into visiting schools with me and my buns to talk about rabbits, rabbit care, breeding, ect. And perhaps start a rabbit 4-H club, when I'm old enough and if I have my own rabbitry, of course!

As for a rabbit for my mom, I'm trying to decide between NDs, Holland Lops, and Dwarf Hotots. She likes all of them, but I'm not sure wich one would be best.

She isn't looking to breed them, she just wants something little, that stays little.

Hill-Hutch wrote:
Hmm... it sounds like Frosty is getting to the age of spaying, she is about 3 and she has only had 7 kits, 5 of which are alive and well. She's only had 2 litters.

I'm considering doing therapy rabbits with my older, more docile and affectionate rabbits. As for non-therapy rabbits, I'm thinking of maybe starting a project if I get into breeding rabbits.
Maybe talk some of the local breeders into visiting schools with me and my buns to talk about rabbits, rabbit care, breeding, ect. And perhaps start a rabbit 4-H club, when I'm old enough and if I have my own rabbitry, of course!

As for a rabbit for my mom, I'm trying to decide between NDs, Holland Lops, and Dwarf Hotots. She likes all of them, but I'm not sure wich one would be best.

She isn't looking to breed them, she just wants something little, that stays little.
Hotots are pretty little bunnies. They get to be around 2 llbs. But ND and Hollads are sweet bunnies too. I don't think you will go wrong with any of these three for your Mom to have a sweet little companion.

And all of your ideas regarding your bunnies, really sound good. Hoping you succeed.

K:)

At the moment, I'm almost kinda thinking about getting her a Holland. I think the judge at the state fair last year said he breeds them, so maybe if he's there this year, I'll talk to him and ask him a few questions.

Its a good thing you guys bring stuff like aging buns and college, because I would never have really thought of these kinds of things until after I started breeding! My ideas come on the spot after you guys ask questions or make comments about things I should think about!

Hill-Hutch, I just wanna say you're awesome!

I am very active on a rat forum and I have seen grown adults get angry, defensive, and throw a fit when asked the sort of "thinking into the future" questions everyone here has posed.

You handled it with style, grace, and gratitude. It makes me very happy to think that there are still teenagers like you around c:

Basically what I am going to do with my older does is get as many last litters out of them that I can and then replace them with one of their babies when they become unable to produce anymore. I love the idea of therapy buns and actually had some older does go to a retirement home to live happily.

When I started in my Cals I didn't think about college. At the time I was just showing what was left from my alternates for my FFA show. When I got my tans and wanted to do better in shows with them my mom supported me totally. It was only because of her that I am still raising tans. I am lucky that she found a breed that she liked too although who couldn't when there is 47 breeds to choose from lol. I also agree with Karen all three of those buns make great pets.

Sarah- Breeding as many litters as I can out of the does, and replacing them with a POL from one of her last 2 litters was what I was thinking of doing too.

Oh, Sydnie. You sound so excited about this and like you've done lots of planning and have a good idea of what to expect, which is wonderful. Really. I just have great big reservations. My main issue is your father. He does not seem to care for them and what if he really DID kill some of your bunnies? I think he needs to really be behind you on this. It's good your mom is supportive, but Dad needs to be as well. I'm also concerned that you may not have enough money to address any health issues with your buns. Vet bills can be very expensive and I don't think collecting a bit of money from babysitting is going to cover it. Last summer we spent something like $700 to get our boy through a relatively mild bout of head tilt. Then more recently, we spent $500 in one pop to have our bun checked out, euthanized, samples of her lungs examined, meds for our others in case she was contagious, then take 2 of our others to the vet when we were concerned they were showing symptoms. Everything ended up being fine (I mean other than our girl dying of course :( ), but vet bills pile up FAST and I'd imagine it would be even more so with rabbits that are having babies. What if your bun needs an emergency c-section or a baby is sick or all your rabbits get sick or something? Part of being responsible is making SURE you have enough money to cover unexpected vet bills, especially since it doesn't sound like your father is going to help you out.

Again, not trying to be a jerk. I see you have lots of supporters of your idea. If your dad was excited for you to start breeding and your parents promised to pay for any vet bills, I would think you should forge on. This isn't criticism of YOU, just concern with the circumstances, you know? Big hugs to ya if you accept hugs from random internet strangers :) And I wish you the best of luck with this, truly I do.

hmm... yes, I do quite understand what you are talking about. I've already dealt with my own bout of deadly illness with my current rabbits. Fuzzy got pasturella last year. We probably spent anywhere between $100-$150 for his meds and the vet visit. The most expensive part was when we had to put him under because he had a fluid pocket under his chin that our vet thought was a cist(spelling?).

Would saving up about... $700 be enough? I estimate that buying a new trio of rabbits would be about $90, and then $300 for cages, $100 for feed racks and water bottles, $15 for commercial pellets, $80 or less for a few nest boxes, and then whatever I have left over will be for vet bills and extra equipment.

I'm doing rather poorly right now, but I've just barely started saving money. I currently have $40/$700. So I've got a ways to go.

Like I said, starting my own rabbitry probably won't happen for another 3 years, and by then, I'll be 16 and can get a small part-time job.

Back