Convincing my dad to let me breed rabbits...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hill-Hutch

Reaction score
I'm having the hardest time convincing my dad to let me breed rabbits!

I told him that I would pay for the rabbits, cages, equipment, food,vet bills,ect and that if I joined the ARBA, I could quite possibly get a scholarship (I'm 13).

I'm not really sure why he won't let me, but he has threatened to kill all 5 of the families rabbits.

Me and my mom are the only ones who ever take care of the rabbits. My little sister just sits around the house. She never goes out and feeds them, holds her rabbit, or cleans the cages!

I personally think that if anyone in my house is capable of running a rabbit operation, it would be me and my mother.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Any advice?

Thank you!

~Sydnie

I know you would do an awesome job and take great care of all the rabbits, but you might want to reconsider the idea. Particularly with death threats from your dad, that is a rather extreme reaction on his part.

Look at petfinder. There are so many rabbits out there without homes. They are the third most euthanised pet in the US. Do you really want to add to the problem? There are only so many bun-friendly homes out there. Plus, you can never guarentee one of your babies wouldn't end up there. Something to think about.

I do agree with Brandy, I would be worried about every having my bunnies like that with death threats against them. Your dad is obviously extremely opposed. And there are so many bunnies out there that need homes...

May I ask why it is that you want to breed? Is there a reason? Or would it just be a hobby?

I think it would be an excellent avenue to get involved in. 4-H does wonders. Actually my Rabbits Savvy Vet's bunnies helped him pay for college. He always loved animals and bunnies helped him get there.

You and your Mom should sit down, do some research, and get your ducks in a row, and show your Dad what benefits it can have for you. And maybe it will stop the death threats of your bunnies, (shame an adult would say that) showing him the benefit of a bunny business. Show him the Money!With the help of another adult, your mom, I think you can convince him to allow you to start.

Just to let you know, I know this is a "Pet" forum, leaning towards "Rescue Pets", but there are other avenues for a rabbit. Not just pets.

Wishing you luck! Hoping for the best. Shame adults don't really look at the benefits of having a responsible child wants to actually DO SOMETHING with his life!

K:)

My mom did admit that my dad was rather drunk the night he said that.

It would be a small hobby, but I also extremely interested in genetics, as well as showing rabbits. I really want to try line breeding and join ARBA & the ISRBA.

Hill-Hutch wrote:

It would be a small hobby, but I also extremely interested in genetics, as well as showing rabbits. I really want to try line breeding and join ARBA & the ISRBA.

Some adults say strange things that they don't mean.

You will have a blast learning genetics. I think it's very interesting. And there are many people who LOVE the shows, and enjoy a lasting membershing with ARBA.

All of you should go to a show. Talk to people. Find out how they started and how they picked their breeds. Heck, you can even try to bring back an endangered or threatened breed of rabbit. A thread started shows a few that I think would be great to see come back.

K:)

Karen gave you some great advice! I think what the other posters were leading on to is that breeding rabbits is a serious venture and not to be taken lightly or as idea of "the moment"'and then forgotten about later if you should get bored with it. And of course the well being of the buns should be considered too.

But it sounds like you are serious about this and have done your homework. Good for you for being passionate about something fulfilling and educational!!! I say continue your research and, for lack of a better way to say it, "prove" to your dad how serious you are and show him what you have learned and what you will put into this.

But ultimately, you do have to respect your parents wishes. It's just part of being a kid. We were all there once too! ;) I wish you the best!!

Hill-Hutch wrote:

Alcohol makes people say and do horrible things. He would never get drunk enough to honestly kill them would he? That would be beyond horrible.

I agree with Lisa, just trying to make sure this is well thought out. Do you have a reliable plan for what to do with the babies? Do you have the space to split them up when they are weaned before they have homes?

I was involved with 4-H and FFA growing up. It can be a wonderful experience, but bringing life into an already crowded world is something to really think about.

I love my rabbit hobby! I am so glad I chose this with my mother also joining in. Becareful about your dad and it sounds like you are serious. Definitely go to a show and experience the mayhem. Shows are a great way to find buyers for rabbits but it also depends on how popular your breed is in that area. I found that the more i went to shows and the better the rabbits did the more i had to expand my resources (as far as getting a website and more cages to keep up with how many people wanted my tans). I am going to compete nationally for my first time and I already have three people interested in my stock for that show that isnt until october. So as far as finding out how to find buyers the show world is pretty good so you wont have to find as many pet homes.

We started raising californians for FFA with a 3hole hutch. My dad wasnt very happy idea but he thought it would only last my senior year. I won Reserve Grand Champion meat pen and a $5,500 dollar check to go towards my first semester in college. Our school ISD supports the FFA kids really well and surrounding businesses love helping out. After that my dad was more open to it and after a show in Kansas I found my first pair of tans and the hobby has grown to two different breeds currently and about 20 holes. We are small compared to most breeders but once the trophies and ribbons started coming home from shows there was no way my dad was going to discourage my success. Raising rabbits has become a huge part of my life and although there is almost no gain of profit except when you are youth the younger you start the higher chance to collect school money. Arba requires you to be a member for 3 consecutive years before you can apply for a scholarship

I am totally for showing but you must see it longterm and have somewhere to expand because once you have one breed chances are another would follow. Others can agree with me on that Lol!

I don't know. It's an old saying: Vino veritas, which means in wine there is truth & surely the same applies to vodka, beer, or whatever. Not that he'd actually kill them, but that he doesn't like them. I'd suggest having a heart-to-heart, just you & your dad, before going any farther. You don't want to make it look to him like you & your mom are ganging up on him.

A good first step might be to see if your sister would sell her rabbit to you. Or you could offer to take care of it in exchange for her doing some of your other chores.

How did you get rabbits in the 1st place?

What kind of rare breeds do you guys suggest? I'm really interested in Americans and American chinchillas, but for now, my max weight as far as rabbits is 6-7 pounds.
I'll probably end up shipping them from out of state, so any sort of suggestions for shipping would be greatly welcomed!

I really want something that would wow judges and interest a lot of potential buyers, but I don't want dwarfs because I don't want to risk does dieing during birthing and I really don't want to have to worry about peanuts. I'm also looking for something that is generaly very kid friendly and nice because I have little cousin's and I'm sure most of my buyers for now will be 4-H kids and a few friends.

Like I said, I'd be more than happy to ship, though I'd like to keep to breeders within the western united states.

Im looking on arba at the breeds and ill name what i see less at shows. They will also be either 7-8lbs or lighter max weight.

Silver
Standard chinchilla
Lilac
Himalayan
Thrianta

10lbs and under?
American sable
Silver marten

Unfortunately all the more rare or Critical breeds are big rabbits such as the creme d'argent, blanc de hotot, beveren, American and giant chins

Hmm... these are all such beautiful rabbits you've listed for me!
when we started thinking about getting rabbits, the Himalayan was the kind that I wanted.

I'm stuck between the standard chinchilla, silver martin, the Beveren, and the American.
Any advice?

I've also kinda figured out a way to convince my dad to let me breed rabbits. If anyone would like to hear it, please let me know and I'll post it!

I think it's amazing that you want to learn into genetics and line breeding at such a youn age and it good to see you are so motivated

but you do need to think about if you can mentally cope with breeding as for if you happen to come across any deformaties who is going to humanely put the kit down and how well can you cope with still births. Also the fact of getting attached I have just had my first litter and I am considering keeping all 3 kits as I can't see myself letting go so breeding may not be my fortay if I can't give them up althoughmy breed isquite in demand and I'll definately have homes wanting them lol

but I definately think you are quite mature and know what you want to do and I can see you have done your research :) good luck with what decision you end up making or which breed you end up choosing :)

Thank you Bonnie Lee!

It may seem sad, but I've actually dealt with still born baby animals before. We've had 2 accidental litters since we've gotten our rabbits. The first litter survived and I now have Min as well as his naughty brother,D.B. During the time period we were to care for the 6 kits, I refused to get attached. They were cute and all, and I have pictures of them, but when they all went to their new homes, since there was no attachment, I was actually pretty happy to see them go off to there new homes. Mins story it actually kind of a sad one. He was my older sisters rabbit and there was still no extreme emotional attachment, until she started neglecting him and he started getting sick. My mom took him away from her and placed him in my care, since I was doing so well with Fuzzy. Now I love him just as much as Fuzzy!

Our second litter was the does very first litter. None of them survived.
My grandpa is also a cattle rancher. Every calving season, there are at least 3-4 still born or frozen calf's, while it is sad, after 13 years around it, I've accepted that it wasn't that particular time for that animal to be a live and so God took it back until it was ready. I've also accepted that the ones with deformities will be happier and not suffering if they are put down humanely.

I'm something of a humanitarian and I only want what would be best for my rabbits! :)

I am partial to American Chinchilla, but that is a large bun. My Cosette was such a sweetie. Larger buns tend to be more laid back (huge generality). They do need more space, food, etc.

I really want to do the American and the Beveren, and maybe if you mom wants, I can buy another mini lop doe and I'll have Min and popcorn too, so that would make up my trio.

I'd probably start with the Beverens, there are several breeders within the western united states, theres even one over here in Idaho!

I'm I get the Beverens going good, maybe I'll start a small line of Mini Lops using only agoutis (Mins chinchilla and Popcorn is a Broken Chocolate Chestnut Agouti.
My mom really wants to breed NDs, but I told her "No way am I dealing with peanuts and birthing complications!" So I might set out on a search to find a breeder with quality NDs and import one from out of state for her for her birthday, if I can talk my dad into letting me get more rabbits.

ATM, my plan is to talk him into letting me do the Beverens, Mini Lops, or Americans for a 4-H breeding project. I'll probably invest in the Beveren or the American, because they are rare and expensive so I'll be putting a lot of money in it. If he ever brings up getting rid of them (in the event that he is OK with it as a breeding project), I'll just tell him that it would have been a waste of money and that he should let me keep breeding them for the project. Eventually everything will become so routine he'll end up forgetting about it, like always, and then I can full on start operations.

My mom is totally fine with me breeding rabbits, just so long as I pay for everything and she can hold the babies.

Latest posts

Back