Constant Molting or Shedding?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryes

Reaction score
Our two mini plush lops (cross between mini rex and mini lop) are now 11 and 9 months old. They are 100% indoor rabbits. About four months ago our doe (9 months) came into heat. The buck had been neutered and the doe was spayed soon after. About that same time we noticed a lot of molting or shedding for the first time. This continued and a month or so later we had to switch food pellets because TSC stopped carrying the Manna Pro Select we were using. We started using the store brand but heard that the pellets might be causing the molting or shedding. We switched to Manna Pro Small World but they continue to molt or shed to date. I comb them only about once every two weeks. I've attached a couple of pictures showing the hair in their cage after just a couple of days.

Here are my questions
1. This breed isn't supposed to shed as much as other breeds (that's one reason we went with them). Is this molting or shedding?
2. How likely is this to be caused by the food pellets (they get just over one cup per day for both rabbits along with plenty of Timothy Hay and some greens)?
3. Is this considered normal for this breed?
4. Any suggestions on making this situation better are welcome (especially from other mini plush lop owners).

Attachments

• 20231017_203608.jpg
    20231017_203608.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231017_203558.jpg
    20231017_203558.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Classic rabbit shedding. I haven't heard of any say that food pellets would be a cause for moulting or not. It's just the change of seasons, daylight reduction or increase and whatever other biological indicator. Totally normal for all rabbits regardless of breed. Some rabbits, regardless of breed, moult less in volume and frequency, others will shed all year round and not go through a super visible moult, some will literally blow half their coat and be bald for a few weeks before new fur grows in, twice a year or even more depending on where they live. Combing the buns regularly, often even many times a day and sweeping up all the loose fur is the best solution. Otherwise you may discover pearl poops like i happened upon, or even end up in the hospital for gut obstruction.

Classic rabbit shedding. I haven't heard of any say that food pellets would be a cause for moulting or not. It's just the change of seasons, daylight reduction or increase and whatever other biological indicator. Totally normal for all rabbits regardless of breed. Some rabbits, regardless of breed, moult less in volume and frequency, others will shed all year round and not go through a super visible moult, some will literally blow half their coat and be bald for a few weeks before new fur grows in, twice a year or even more depending on where they live. Combing the buns regularly, often even many times a day and sweeping up all the loose fur is the best solution. Otherwise you may discover pearl poops like i happened upon, or even end up in the hospital for gut obstruct

Classic rabbit shedding. I haven't heard of any say that food pellets would be a cause for moulting or not. It's just the change of seasons, daylight reduction or increase and whatever other biological indicator. Totally normal for all rabbits regardless of breed. Some rabbits, regardless of breed, moult less in volume and frequency, others will shed all year round and not go through a super visible moult, some will literally blow half their coat and be bald for a few weeks before new fur grows in, twice a year or even more depending on where they live. Combing the buns regularly, often even many times a day and sweeping up all the loose fur is the best solution. Otherwise you may discover pearl poops like i happened upon, or even end up in the hospital for gut obstruction.
Thanks for the input. I'll definitely be keeping it picked up for the reasons you mention.

Honestly the amount of fur shown in those photos is nothing... especially for a couple days. I'd consider that normal, just normal shedding and definitely not a molt. That little amount of fur is nothing to be concerned about.

When they are actually molting, there will be loads of fur and that is when you'll want to be sure to do plenty of brushing and feeding plenty of hay. They ingest fur from self-grooming, so that's why it's important to brush often during a molt.

On the subject of rabbit food, the Manna Pro Small World is too high in protein for fixed, indoor rabbits. That protein percentage is intended for breeding rabbits. Something closer to 12% protein is more appropriate for fixed rabbits. It also sounds like they are getting alot of pellets. That typically translates to less hay eating. We want them eating their body size in hay every day. The recommended amount of pellets would be about 1/4 cup per day, per rabbit. (When they were younger, they could be fed more pellets since they were still growing, but now that they are adults, they should have their pellet amount limited.)

There are some brand suggestions to consider here:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/pellet-food.html

Honestly the amount of fur shown in those photos is nothing... especially for a couple days. I'd consider that normal, just normal shedding and definitely not a molt. That little amount of fur is nothing to be concerned about.

When they are actually molting, there will be loads of fur and that is when you'll want to be sure to do plenty of brushing and feeding plenty of hay. They ingest fur from self-grooming, so that's why it's important to brush often during a molt.

On the subject of rabbit food, the Manna Pro Small World is too high in protein for fixed, indoor rabbits. That protein percentage is intended for breeding rabbits. Something closer to 12% protein is more appropriate for fixed rabbits. It also sounds like they are getting alot of pellets. That typically translates to less hay eating. We want them eating their body size in hay every day. The recommended amount of pellets would be about 1/4 cup per day, per rabbit. (When they were younger, they could be fed more pellets since they were still growing, but now that they are adults, they should have their pellet amount limited.)

There are some brand suggestions to consider here:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/pellet-food.html
Thanks again for your input. I was hoping that there would be something we could do to cut down on the shedding but I guess not. I think they both went through a molt a few months ago but it wasn't bad.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the protein. I've checked out some foods and have found one with 12% protein and 24% fiber that I think we will go with...and taper them down to 1/4 per day each. I give them plenty of hay but maybe they will start eating more. I'll be monitoring this.

I give my two a quarter cup morning and night. Too much can also create runny poos. My buns shed every 4 months. It’s everywhere. I vacuume almost daily when they do

Back