Confo Shot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nes

Reaction score
I'm new to bunnies so bear with me & go slow - how is lacy's confirmation & what area's can she improve on?

DSC_0023.jpg

She's got a GREAT coat! Nice colour (BIG brown eyes :)) and a normally good temperment - we do think she's pregnant right now so excuse the extra weight - although she's not really looking that fat yet :)

(and I think she needs her nails trimmed a little :blushan but she's IMPOSSIBLE when she pregnant)

Nes.

It's hard to evaluate her because she's not properly posed. How much does she weigh?

Her ears are a little short, giving her a someone "Netherland Dwarf" appearance. Although Mini Rex don't have a fault for "short" ears, there is a fault for ears that don't balance with the body. Her head is also short and rounded enough to resemble a Netherland Dwarf (fault). She has a good eye.

With her posed improperly, it's very hard to evaluate her body, but she looks long and low over the shoulder, appears to lack fullness in the midsection and appears to lack fullness and depth throughout the hindquarters.

It's very hard to evaluate the coat without actually touching it. It appears a little long. The average adult's fingers are about 5/8 of an inch in diameter (the ideal MR coat is 5/8 of an inch long). When the coat is pinched between the fingers, it should not extend beyond or below the 5/8 inch mark (ideally).

From the photo, the coat appears to be rather soft and lacking in density. It needs to be thicker and have enough guard hairs to give it a "springy" feel.

Remember -- these are my comments and opinions from just being able to view the photo of a rabbit not correctly posed.

Judge Eric Stewart has some fantastic Mini Rex. Check out his site for some examples of excellent type andcoats:

http://www.highergroundfarm.com/MiniRex_001.htm

Pa m

Pam you're the bestest!! :)

I have also been thinking that hear coat seems a little thin, it is nice and soft though - I don't want to check them length right now she's being mean & I'm trying to keep my fingers WAY out of reach. Is there anything to feed that would improve the density of her coat? They get a little birdseed as a trick but I have thought about introducing sunflower seeds etc. to improve the condition.

I know her shoulders were poor from when I bought her, that's interesting that her hidquarters are as well - how much of that might be condition?
She lost alot of weight recently when we found out the 4 month old babies were still suckling! (I thought the girls would wean them - I was wrong! :)) so could alot of that just be poor muscling?

I'll get new & posed pictures of the girls once they are no pregnant (again don't want to touch lacy right now & cagney's gotten too big :D she's all fat & cute and pregnant).

Her face & ears are a little on the small side - although it probably looks worse now because of her growing belly :).

Thanks again pam! YOUR AWESOME!! :elephant:

So drooling over these rexs, they are nice!!! It's too bad there are so few breeders in my area :(

Nes.

Nes wrote:
I have also been thinking that hear coat seems a little thin, it is nice and soft though - The texture and density of the coat is primarily genetic. There really isn't any way to make it grow in thicker. Some conditioners that you feed the rabbitwill actually over finish the coat and keep it in continual molt. The coat should be "springy" when you push down on it. If you are getting the impression that it's very soft, then it is probably too soft (a fault). There should be enough guard hairs to give the coat some resistance, but not so many so the coat feels soft. The coat should have more of the appearance of thick, crushed velvet.

I know her shoulders were poor from when I bought her, that's interesting that her hidquarters are as well - how much of that might be condition? Abreeding doe (especially older ones) often do lose their condition, however condition and muscling is highly influenced by genetics.

So drooling over these rexs, they are nice!!! It's too bad there are so few breeders in my area :( We are lucky to have such quality animals in our area representing many breeds. I get spoiled seeing such beautiful animals :)

Pam

I should also add that she does have nice short bone and close, coupled type!

Latest posts

Back