compressed pine litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiced77

Reaction score
i know that pine and cedar shavings are a no no,but what about compressed pine litter? looks like littlepellets. at my pet store it's advertised for horses, but is a lotcheaper than what i'm paying now for the organic wheat grass stuff..and we go through it pretty fast so it's a litte expensive.. but i wontgo cheap if it will hurt my babies :(

well, i'm not open to using pine shavings becauseof the rumoured bad stuff it may cause bunnies and other smallcritters. i realize a lot of people use it, but i'm just tooparanoid. rabbit.org mentions compressed pine like 'felinepine' is ok, but just wondering if *any* kind is ok, or just certainbrands? i need to go back and check out the bag alittle closer :( just thought someone might have areference or something saying it's ok and not harmful in anyway. (however.. considering they chew baseboards andeverything else.. ahem..)

I've been using pine litter for a long time nowwith my rabbits, and haven't had any problems with it. Hopefully wewon't either.

I used to use the pine pellets in their litter box, but stopped usingit when I saw they were eating it. They don't eat the shavings, but Ididn't want them eating the other stuff. Now I use Yesterdays News, andam going to switch to Woody Pet soon.

i absolutely love yesterdays news, but it made mybunnies all sniffly! as soon as i stopped using it, they werefine.. i use wheat grass based right now, but it smells weirdby itself !

Ive usedpine shavings from day one. No problems yet. I dont know much aboutpine pellets?

Lanna

WoodyPet Proffessional Animal bedding is agranulated, largely pine based litter. While most authoritiesagree pine does NOT present the difficulties associated with cedarshavings, WoodyPet has "cooked" the hydrocarbons out of the productuntil it is 99% inert and, thus, should not bethecause of any problem to pets.

It is used primarily as bedding for horses, therefore, due to thequantities it is used in that application, it is relatively inexpensiveat $4.99 US for 30 lb bag. WoodyPet also sells a 15lb bag,labeled as "litter" for pets. I've not yet seen it,nor do I know how it compares price-wise to the "bedding." Myguess is that it is exactly the same product, and might cost morebecause it is being sold to pet owners in smaller quantities than thepallet loads most horse owners would buy it in.

It's biodegradable, user friendly, and leaves no particular odor todeal with. I just remove the "used up" portion on a dailybasis and add anew to replenish. After soaking up the urine,if left long enough it dissipates into a heavy, dry, odorless powderheavy enough to NOT kick up dust-wise and present a respiratoryhazard. The point is that it need not be replaced upon adaily basis in my estimation, but I try to present our house buns withthe cleanliest of living conditions possible.

Anyway, getting back to original question, to the best of my knowledgepine does NOT present the same problems as cedar in any shape,form whatsoever. One has to remain vigilant andskeptical, though, as the "authorities" can and do makeerrors. If you, personally, have reason to question theefficacy of pine, by all means refrain from using it on your bun(s)

Buck

Latest posts

Back