Commercial Rabbits food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whipple

Reaction score
So I was at a local shop and they have commercial rabbits food. They don't have Oxbow or anything and nowhere near me does.

Is it okay to feed that type of food, or is there something that makes certain brands superior?

When looking at commercial rabbit food's you first want to make sure it isn't filled with unnecessary and actually harmful ingredients. Avoid those "gourmet" pellets with seeds, nuts, and dried fruits. They do more harm than good. A nice plain pellet, while appearing bland, is much healthier. Of course our bunny friends like variety in their diet just as much as we do, so that's why providing different types of fresh veggies is recommended, they also provide extra vitamins and minerals.

Look for the nutritional content on the bag. What you will want to see is;

First ingredient should be;
Timothy for a rabbit 8 months and older.
Alfalfa for a rabbit under the age of 8 months.

Fiber: 18% minimum

Fat: 2.5% or less

Protein: 16% or less

Calcium: 1% or less

Kept in mind this for an indoor companion rabbit.

I feed Manno Pro Pro Series from Tractor Supply. I saw they had Dumor Show Rabbit also but the made date was back in June or July so I bought the freshest they had which was the Manna Pro.

It would be a good idea to put your location in your profile so we know where you are and can better help you.

Small pet stores can have Oxbow and other good pellets. There is a garden store in Calgary that sell it and other high end pet food. Petland does carry oxbow, but they are really expensive. There might be a store willing to order it for you. Also call pet stores and as if they have it and the price.

Latest posts

Back