Cold weather

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apollyon

Reaction score
Hello all! I was just wondering what temperature is too cold for my rabbit. She is an indoors rabbit but she has a furniture biting kick we let her run around in the back yard every night. We live in Nevada and it rarely gets below 32 f(0 c) here but I don't want to get her sick at all.:hbunnysmell:

Indoor house rabbits should be fine in the cold weather as the temperature indoors tends to be regulated for yourselves! But check that their living area is not in a draught, and if temperatures drop very low during the night you could give them a Snugglesafe Heatpad (it's like a pet-safe hot water bottle) for some warmth. Usually rabbits can handle cold weather. The lowest I heard is -10 they can handle.

~Breeding Quality Holland Lops Since 2012~

Once the temps get down in the 30's and 40's you need to make sure the bunny has a shelter of some kind where she can get out of the wind/cold (if you're going to continue to put her in the backyard at night). She can get sick if she gets wet and its cold, and they can get sick from being unprotected in a cold wind.

I think with his hair, somehow, he can manage the cold weather. But first of all, you should make him the warmest shetler ever to live in this condition. And you need to make sure your indoor temperature could be acceptable for your rabbit!

Once the temps get down in the 30's and 40's you need to make sure the bunny has a shelter of some kind where she can get out of the wind/cold (if you're going to continue to put her in the backyard at night). She can get sick if she gets wet and its cold, and they can get sick from being unprotected in a cold wind.

Thank you for the replies. I'll definitely get her some kind of shelter built soon. It rarely gets too cold but I'm sure she would appreciate a hideaway.

Perhaps others can chime in on this topic, but I had always heard that while rabbits can handle a good amount of cold, what is NOT good is for them to be switched frequently from warm to cold and back again.

I had read that if the inside and outside temps are more than a 10-15F difference, that it is not advised to continually change them from inside to outside. In other words, if it is cold outside (30s or 40s) and the rabbit is going to be staying outside at night, then it should stay out 24/7 so it can acclimate. Rabbits have a difficult time regulating their body temperature otherwise.

So my understanding is that in the temps the OP is describing that the rabbit should either remain indoors or remain outdoors, but not be switched back and forth.

...was thinking about this...
It was probably more of a 20F difference that was not advised. Doesn't seem like 10-15 would be a problem.

I think with his hair, somehow, he can manage the cold weather. But first of all, you should make him the warmest shetler ever to live in this condition. And you need to make sure your indoor temperature could be acceptable for your rabbit!

Back