Cockatiel Egg and Chick Thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh shiloh, I'm so sorry the timing is so bad and things just keep going wrong for your chicks. do try and enjoy your trip though.

Praying that phoenix picks up and recovers!!

Phoenix is still hanging in there. To tell the truth, Paul isn't doing a great job of caring for Phoenix. Basically, he is not an animal person and it's hard to devote so much time and energy to something you don't really have an interest in. He is trying some though and I'm glad for that. I think he's torn between wanting to please me and resenting all the time and money the chicks have sucked up :( I do feel for him but want Phoenix to survive!

I was so scared to open up this thread - I was so afraid you'd say he'd passed away.

Kudos to Paul for loving you so much that he's helping.

Grace, problems with handfeeding can cause crop issues, but the first 3 chicks were fed exclusively by their parents until they got so sick that being fed by their parents would have killed them. Then I took over.

Baby Phoenix is still alive. Paul sent me some pictures. His poop looks terrible, but Phoenix himself is really cute and has feathered out even more. Tomorrow he will be 3 weeks old. I really hope he hangs in there until I get home in 2 1/2 days. Maybe I can turn him around. Hopefully before the wedding, I don't think it would work well to be feeding a chick every 3 hours through my wedding day and honeymoon.

:pray: hang on in there phoenix!

should you and paul have children then you will know exactly what to expect with regards to feeding and sleepless nights!! keep the faith xx

Donna, that's what I was thinking too- I asked my mom about it and she agreed, but she pointed out that the difference is that usually your baby isn't dying when you're up all night with it.

There's something wrong with me. I have the worst sore throat I've ever had- it started on Thursday and has gotten so bad that I can't sleep. I am, of course, exhausted. I feel so pathetic, sitting here crying because my throat hurts and I can't sleep. Incidentally, that makes it hurt more. I have to get up in a couple hours to take my friend shopping and I can't think of anything I would like to do less. The friend is from out of the country and this is her first time in the US and we'll only be here in Seattle a couple more days. I've got like 3 hours of sleep each night for the past 2 1/2 weeks. I can't even go cry in bed because I have to share my bed with my friend and will wake her up, so I'm stuck sitting here I guess until I get so exhausted I can't keep my eyes open. I'm sure that will happen about 5 minutes before everyone else wakes up well rested and ready to go. I think the stress build up over the past couple weeks is making me sick or has weakened my immune system. Symptoms: severe sore throat that hurts especially when swallowing, no other traditional cold symptoms except I can feel some mucus dripping down the back of my throat.

There are 3 eggs now. Paul has to kill them by boiling them, which seems soooo mean. Baby Phoenix is down to 52 grams :bawl:

I'm still sick and have sprouted 2 canker sores. Ugh. I'm about to go to bed.

Phoenix's weight for Sunday is 53 grams at exactly 3 weeks. That's 1 up from yesterday. I'm not going to put too much stock in him gaining weight since it may be nothing, but the point is he hasn't lost more... Hopefully he can hang in there for another day and a half until I get home and can give him lots of care!

Try and take care of yourself Shiloh. They tell firemen and mothers to first maintain their own oxygen so that they can have the energy to help others. Same goes for you. You have to take care of yourself. I hope things are going okay with the wedding. I'm sorry to hear about your concerns with Phoenix. To be honest, I'm dreading this thread but I do peek in. I'd make you some awesome meatball soup if I could... Tea with a hint of honey can do your throat lots of good. :)

Thought I should update! I got home yesterday afternoon. Phoenix looks so different- he has all his feathers now! They're still growing longer, but they're almost all out of their sheaths. He looks like a mini cockatiel! SO cute! His feathers are very, very soft :) He has quite a good grip and is good at holding onto fingers. He's still sick, but is improving somewhat. The weight loss stopped. He maintained a weight of 52 grams for 2 days, was 53 grams yesterday morning, and 57 grams this morning! So he's putting back on some weight. Hopefully that will continue! His crop is emptying faster than it was when I left and his poop is sort of looking better- it changes between starting to look better and looking the same. Baby steps, huh?

I'll post pictures of him tonight :) He is very cute and he loves his mommy (me). I'm working on getting him well socialized by petting him all over his body and exposing him to things so he isn't afraid of them later.

I know he's still sick, but if he survived Paul's care and is actually gaining weight, I can't help but think he'll recover. He's 24 days old now and the older a baby bird is, the less delicate they are.

Latest posts

Back