Cockatiel Egg and Chick Thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She's still plucking him. I'm so annoyed at her. I just went out and bought a new cage and everything since she's going to have to move out. I'm hoping Arthur will resume caring for Phoenix. I'm going to put her cage right next to theirs so Arthur and Poppet can see each other, and I might put her in the cage a few times a day so she can feed Phoenix and then take her back out.

Phoenix is still being plucked :( At this very moment, both parents are out of the nest box and Poppet is grooming Arthur and occasionally plucking a feather from the back of his head. Niiiice.

Baby Phoenix has sprouted a yellow tail feather and the feathers around his beak are yellow too. How very interesting and unusual! He will probably end up looking like this:

Grey-again-Face.jpg

This bird is a girl and belongs to my breeder contact. Girls do not usually have yellow on their faces. I don't know what's up with the yellow tailfeather. I can't remember if that's normal or not.

arthur should be ok on his own with pheonix as we have found that charlie did most if the feeding when they were getting bigger still giving the odd feed now and they are 10 weeks old this week cheeky hasn't fed them at all since laying the other eggs
How do i get pics on this page

I'm hoping Arthur will be a good daddy and not miss Poppet too much. I plan to let them out together for a few minutes every day so they can still interact with each other. Arthur is REALLY BAD at being alone! I'm concerned because Poppet does most of the baby bird care. Arthur's more the protector than anything. Also they didn't feed Phoenix a whole lot Saturday. In the morning I'm going to move Poppet into the new cage and hopefully Arthur will feed Phoenix. If he doesn't, I'll supplement him with some formula then put him back in the nest box. I'll give Arthur some time to adjust to single parenthood before pulling Phoenix for handfeeding.

Okay, I'm putting Poppet in the new cage now. Please wish me luck that Arthur does okay with being separated from her and takes over his new full time parent role well. One parent can raise 3-4 chicks by themselves so he should be fine with Phoenix, as long as he's actually willing to care for him and doesn't just scream because he's separated from Poppet!

I haven't slept yet tonight and was about to go to bed now, but looks like that won't be happening. I'm going to stay up to make sure Arthur is caring for Phoenix. I have a TON of wedding things to do today and preparing for my friend's arrival, so it looks like I'll be consuming lots of caffeine! And it's not even 5 am yet... My life is crazy.

Okay, I have to share my baby Phoenix's picture. Today is his 2 week birthday. I would say he is now firmly in the cute category and no longer looks like an alien dinosaur!

IMG_3179JPGresized.jpg

:inlove: now that phoenix has officially achieved level 1 cuteness will you considering relaxing a little and throwing yourself into wedding planning?:pray:

Look at how cute Phoenix is now! I agree, this is the cute category now. So adorable! He looks like a little bird now.

I absolutely will not relax yet! I didn't even go to bed last night. Poppet continued to pluck the poor guy. This morning at 5 am I moved Poppet out of the cage. She freaked out at being separated from Phoenix and was pacing and chirping frantically, Arthur freaked out at being separated from her and screamed as loud as he could frantically, Phoenix freaked out at being alone and hungry and cried for food as loud as he could, and I freaked out at the idea of having to hand raise Phoenix if Arthur didn't get his feathery butt to the nest box and feed him.

Then, my breeder contact took a look at how Phoenix had been plucked and she said she thought Poppet was doing it because she needs sodium since she's getting ready to lay eggs again soon and blood is salty. She plucked little feathers on his head, and chewed a few bigger feathers on his body but didn't rip them out. And she didn't bite him at all. She said to put Poppet back in the nest and we'll try to get some sodium into her another way so she'll stop plucking him.

However, once I got Poppet back in there, they were too shaken up from the whole ordeal to feed Phoenix. I had to step in and handfed him 2 CCs of formula. He's been getting meds 4 times a day from a syringe from me, but does not yet connect syringe with food. So I got a bit of formula into him and when he was screaming for food good and loud, I put him back in the nest box (which Arthur and Poppet had gone into in my absence) and they fed him within 15 seconds. Phew!

Then I went and got a 4 hour nap since I hadn't slept yet. Came back downstairs to find an almost empty cropped and alone Phoenix. Thought I was going to have to feed him again, but apparently the parents were waiting until I came downstairs to feed him because they BOTH fed him within about 30 seconds. They're now eating more food and hopefully baby Phoenix is sleeping. I'm a little worried about him getting cold since he's by himself so much, but he's getting bigger and his pinfeathers keep him warm some, and I have a heating pad set to low on the side of the nest box.

Hopefully when we get some sodium into Poppet, that will stop her from plucking him. If it doesn't but the plucking is not severe or aggressive, my breeder contact actually suggests leaving him with mom and dad. If we DO have to remove him, he will figure out the handfeeding thing quickly and hand raising him should be way less stressful than hand raising his siblings was since he's healthy and needs food 4-5 times a day versus every 2 hours around the clock.

The next hurdle after the sodium issue is that my friend from out of town is arriving Tuesday and will be sleeping on our couch 3 feet from the bird cage for the next 3 weeks. Hopefully the parents will not feel threatened by her presence and abandon him. Then the NEXT hurdle is that I will be out of town for 5 days and Paul is going to have to take care of everyone. I am the usual bird caretaker so hopefully they will not abandon him when Paul ends up taking care of them.

My plan to get them used to Paul is to have him change the papers and water until I leave and have him look in the nest box and stuff, and I'll give Phoenix some supplemental hand feedings so he gets used to it and so Paul can learn how to do it in case he has to.

So Paul and I are considering just giving in and hand raising Phoenix. Arthur and Poppet did a very shoddy job of caring for him today and yesterday, between the feather plucking, not sitting in the nest box with him, and not feeding him consistently. I've had to supplement feed the little guy twice. The power went out at our house a few hours ago so Paul and I are at his workplace so we can have the electricity we need to keep his brooder warm and heat up the water for his formula. Never mind that our friend is arriving in less than 2 days and our house is a complete mess and I was going to get a lot of cleaning done tonight but am now stuck here!

If we decide to hand raise Phoenix, we won't have to worry about Arthur and Poppet abandoning him or doing a shoddy job of feeding and warming him. We'll be able to tell immediately if he gets any crop problems because there would be no question about how much he was last fed and when. Crop problems are much easier to fix when you recognize the bird is struggling with emptying right away! Also I ordered syringes with flexible tips that we can use to empty his crop in a much safer way if we ever have to (please don't let that happen!) and I already have antibiotics and 2 antifungal medications I can give him immediately if he develops crop problems. He should also turn out very sweet if he's hand raised. And if we just decide to hand raise him now, Paul will already know how to take care of him by the time I have to leave to go to Washington on Wednesday and won't have to worry about monitoring him with Arthur and Poppet or have to possibly handfeed him for the first time when I'm not there to help him. Handfeeding is dangerous if you've never done it before.

Down sides, aside from the time commitment, are that cockatiel chicks do better and grow bigger when their parents raise them. They get immunities and beneficial bacteria when their parents feed them and they're less prone to crop issues. They wean faster too. However, if Arthur and Poppet are plucking and ignoring him, he would obviously be best off away from them.

What I'm going to do is feed Phoenix one more time before bed, then leave him in the brooder overnight. I'll try putting him back in the nest box tomorrow morning when I'll be home for a few hours so I can monitor him. If the parents continue to flake out and pluck him, we'll just resign ourselves to hand raising him! How funny is this- if we hand raise him, I'm going to have to leave my own wedding reception to go home and feed him once and we're going to have to take him on our honeymoon.

I just hope that whatever happens, Phoenix will grow up big and strong and healthy and sweet. This whole breeding experience has had more than its fair share of tragedy and sadness.

What do you guys think?

What in the world is with our bad luck?! The power at home still has not gone on. This wouldn't be a problem any other night when Arthur and Poppet were still caring for Phoenix, but now we have to spend the night awake at Paul's workplace so we can plug in his heating pad and heat the bottled water for his formula in the microwave. Poor Paul has to work tomorrow and I have a TON of stuff to do in addition to feeding Phoenix because I had planned to get lots of cleaning done tonight since my friend gets here Tuesday.

I can hardly bear it. I'm tired. I can't go to sleep. I have so much to do and a tiny feathered dictator to tend to. Can I scream into a pillow? Maybe that will make me feel a little better.

Oh and Phoenix still isn't giving me a good feeding response, which means I can only feed him half of what he should be getting at each feeding, which means I need to go through the hour long process of feeding him and cleaning up twice as often. Yayyyy.

What about those heating pads you can get for your back or if you're cramping (I forget what they're called) - you open up the package and the air activates them or something?

In the pharmacy section of Walmart and other stores....

I'm sorry to hear about the other three chicks... At least Phoenix is still going strong! I hope that you guys are doing OK with the power off! :(

My mum's cockatiel, Sweetie, had almost no feathers when we got him. His mom plucked all of the feathers off of his back and neck. He looked like a goofy vulture.

I would safely say that Phoenix is in the "cute" stage! ;) :)

We are back home! The power came on at 5 and we got home as quick as we could.

Bad news is Phoenix has lost 2 grams since yesterday. He had a very weird past couple of days though between the feather plucking, Arthur and Poppet not feeding him right, and the supplemental feeding. He's pooping and hydrated and everything so I'm not over the top worried yet.

Good news is Phoenix started to figure out how to properly eat from a syringe this afternoon. This means that I can actually give him the full amount of formula each feeding that he should be receiving (this should get him back on the road to weight gain) and the feedings are farther apart. Also, I finally found 2 digital probe thermometers that read the same temperature! Thank goodness! I have purchased 12 thermometers since the whole handfeeding thing started a week and a half ago. Yes. TWELVE. 5 are digital (1 is designed for inside the brooder though), 3 are the kind with the little dial like a clock, 4 are the the old fashioned stick kind with the red "mercury" (2 are for inside the brooder). One of the digital ones and one of the old fashioned ones broke, the clock ones take forever to show the right temperature so are useless, and 1 of the other digital ones showed a temperature a full 5 degrees different from the other. Problem was I didn't know which one was right! The new digital thermometer has the same temp as the high quality digital thermometer we have though. I'm going to toss the other digital one. So between Phoenix giving a feeding response and having 2 good thermometers for the formula, feeding him just got 10 times less stressful! Woohoo!

Baby Phoenix can perch on my finger! I wouldn't walk around with him like that and only let him do it if I'm kinda holding onto him, but it's a start. Go go toe control!

Latest posts

Back