Cockatiel Egg and Chick Thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Go to someplace where you can get insulin needles - they come in 1 cc sizes. I'm thinking the pharmacy at Walmart/Fred Myers, etc.

Peg, why didn't I think of that?! Paul came home with some 10 sterile 1 CC needles from the pharmacy (he meant to get syringes) and I was just wondering what in the world I was going to do with 10 sterile 1 CC syringes. Duh! Thanks so much, Peg!

The butterfly needles for the bunnies are 19 gauge, don't know what gauge the insulin syringes are but they look little...

I wish I lived there too, Ali :( Or that I could beam them to someone who has raised lots of baby tiels before. The sad thing is our regular vet LOVES birds and is actually planning to focus specifically on parrots, but she went down to help wash oil covered animals. Great for them, less great for my baby birds and for my bunnies if they get sick.

I feel like I'm torturing Kieran. He's so pathetic. He's dehydrated, his skin is puckered and red and he weighs 27 grams. Neeja, who is 4 days younger, weighs 30 and Neeja is small for his age. I'm about to give him fluids, and the thought of jabbing him with needles on top of everything... I feel like I'm hurting him and drawing out his life and he'd be better off warm and cozy with his mom and dad and siblings instead of me squeezing his crop empty and getting him to eat weird food and sticking him with needles and everything else I've had to do to him.

We got a better brooder tonight. I'm going to put him and Teddy in it, and give him a few hours to improve. If he doesn't, I'm putting him back in the nest box. I'd rather have him die there. If he magically improves over night, I'll maybe try supplementing him a little tomorrow (mainly fluids).

What makes it worse in some ways is that he's now old enough to be aware of what's going on. He's awake most of the time and cries and cuddles with Teddy and looks sad. He reacts to pain and to seeing me. He looks around. He nods off in my hand if I hold him for a while.

I hope no one thinks I'm being a bad "mom" by not continuing to do invasive things to him. I love my little Kieran and can't bear to hurt him, especially since it doesn't look like he's going to get better.

I would honestly let nature take its course.

The chances of having all the eggs hatch and all the chicks survive to adulthood is so slim especially with first time parents.

I think you're doing the right thing by letting him rest and be with his mom and dad.

sas :pray:

Thanks, Pipp. Hopefully he'll make it... most likely not. It was easy to say I'd be happy if we ended up with just 1 chick, but it's not that simple now that all 4 are here and I've spent the past week plus with them! Hopefully at least one DOES survive.

I gave him sub q fluids. I had to have Paul help hold onto him. He cried when I poked him with the needle and did his best to get away. It was so sad :( I didn't put in the full amount of liquids because it looked like his skin was going to pop, but it got absorbed within 5 minutes. When I put him back in the brooder, I found that Teddy had regurgitated again :(

I'm now worried that if I put them back in the nest box, the infection will pass to the other chicks. It looks like Neeja's crop is maybe starting to get bad, but Phoenix's is nice. I don't know what to do. My breeder contact has gone to bed by now.

I'm pleased you managed to empty the crops of your 2 chicks dont think I could but its suprising what you do when you have to. Glad your breeder friend gave you some good advice sounds better than the vet but that probably cause they have more experience and know more about them unless its avian vet. We still have the 1 dont think we will get any more but still a couple of days. Hoping to get another pic up later today.
Take Care Fingers crossed for your your 2 little fluffy bundles of joy :)

Kieran has pooped 3 times (each one bigger, all looked healthy) since getting sub q fluids and his color has improved noticeably. I decided to give him fluids again since it's been 3 hours, but he started to make choking sounds again as soon as I started to inject the liquid. He did it on both of his sides. I was making extra sure not to press on his crop. The needle was just barely under the surface of the skin. I don't really understand what is happening, but I immediately stopped injecting the fluids when he started coughing. I injected him in the exact place with the needle pointing in the direction that the breeder told me.

Neeja's crop is feeling like the other two... Phoenix still seems good. I wish I could just look into the future and know what would happen.

Poor birdies and poor Shiloh. This must be so tough. I wish I could help you out, at least be there, feed you something while you care for them. Bleh. Sending all our love your way :pray:

Thanks, guys. I'm glad to know I'm not alone. It's funny, I've been posting on a cockatiel forum with plenty of nice people, but you guys are the ones who I'm telling all my worries to. You aren't bird people but you're bunny people and you're my people.

I've left Kieran and Teddy alone in the new brooder for the past 3 hours. The new one is better because it's a lot more humid inside (which is good for them) and I don't have to open it every 5 minutes to check the temperature. I can see the thermometer from the outside. That means the babies are getting more rest and darkness. I want to put them back in the nest box, but I'm waiting to find out if this will spread to Phoenix and Neeja. I'm iffy on Neeja's condition, but Phoenix seems okay and I don't want him to get infected and die also. I think Kieran and Neeja are reasonably comfortable in the new brooder. They aren't crying.

I got them out of the brooder about 10 minutes ago to check on them. There crops are not emptying and they're fuller than they should be based on how much they've been fed. Their crops are very watery. Poor Kieran's crop is so big and over stretched, but his body is shriveled :( His body is actually dumping its fluids into his crop. When I had him out, he was flailing about and crying and trying to vomit. It is absolutely heart breaking. I put him back in the brooder and he quieted down after a couple of minutes.

I want to call the vet when they open at 8 and find out about euthanasia. I don't want him to suffer anymore. If it turns out it is safe to put him back in the nest box, I'll put him back so he can spend his last hours with his parents and siblings, then I'll bring him to be put to sleep. I think this is kinder than waiting for him to die in the nest box because it will be faster.

Teddy's crop isn't nearly as full and overstretched, but it's still full. He isn't looking dehydrated yet. When I took him out, he was crying in hunger. His crop is full (and I can see the muscles working), but it isn't emptying into his stomach very fast so he's hungry. I can't feed him when his crop is full of goo though, it will just back up and make him vomit and stretch out his crop. He isn't past hope yet and I'm willing to try emptying him again once I talk to the breeder contact (who is still asleep understandably since it's 4:15 in the morning there).

Some jerk on the cockatiel forum told me I shouldn't kill my bird because he'd rather choke a little and make it to adulthood. Does this person not understand what he's going through and that it is very unlikely he will make it to adulthood, or even to next week? The person has been reading my whole thread so they know what's been going on. There birds just started laying eggs and I only hope their chicks don't end up suffering from something like this :pssd:

I've been following this from the beginning and I am just heartbroken for you. I'm so sorry this has been such a trying experience.

That being said, I wanted to let you know that you are an awesome person for all you're doing for those chicks. Don't let that person on the bird forum get you down. You know what's going on with Kieran and you know when it's time to stop his suffering. BIG BIG hugs to you.

Latest posts

Back