Cockatiel Egg and Chick Thread

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People can say some of the dumbest things at the worst of times. It's like some enjoy contradicting you and making you doubt your every move. Trust your instincts. I'm sure the breeder and vet (a better one) could help guide you if you aren't too sure... :pray:

Thanks for the encouragement, guys :( I really appreciate it, even if I can't muster a smile. Because it's Saturday, the vet does not open until 10. 25 more minutes! I'm dead set on getting some actual medication for Teddy. I'm going to try to get the vet on the phone and find out what exactly she would do for him if I brought him in, and beg for medicine if I have to. She refused to prescribe any when I was there Thursday, and that medicine may have saved Kieran's life. I would rather just go over and get the meds for the other chicks instead of stressing them out by bringing them again. Last time I had to sit in the waiting room 40 minutes with them in a cardboard box with a snuggle safe worrying about them staying at the right temperature.

Poor baby Kieran is getting weaker. He's losing consciousness. When I pick him up, he flails around and can't stand up. When I set him down, he lies on his side. I just had to keep Teddy from standing on him in the bowl. My poor little one, he doesn't deserve this. I hope he dies quickly. I may actually bring him along to the vet and have him euthanized while picking up meds for the others. That way the vet could see what she's dealing with and hopefully accept that she needs to prescribe medication!!

I want to SCREAM. I'll settle for crying. Does the vet office even CARE about animals?! I called right when they opened, and the doctor who treated them isn't in today, but there is 1 other vet who "sees" birds (not that that necessarily means much). The receptionist copped quite an attitude with me and said that "maybe" the vet would call me back in an hour or two. I told her that these chicks WILL die if they don't get medicine and 1 little phone call (and the prescription of medication) could save them. She was so rude. You guys no me, I am not pushy or rude- her attitude was completely unnecessary. She said if I "feel like" bringing them in, we'd have to wait a while and pay the emergency fee. Of course. We had to sit in the waiting room 40 minutes last time, as I worried the chicks were getting too cold or hot.

Kieran is getting even weaker. I know he won't live, but at least the others have a chance with medication. My heart is just aching.

I am so so sorry. That is so terrible! I wish there were something I could do to help you but you and the chicks are in my thoughts.

My sweet Kieran just died while I was on the phone to another vet :bawl: I found a very nice vet who talked to me for a good 15 minutes who has everything we need to treat the chicks. She has a pet cockatoo. She said she'd be able to see the remaining 3 chicks immediately. I'm going to call the original vet clinic (not that I think they'll care) and then take them to the new vet.

Keeping you guys in my thoughts and hoping everything works out alright for the others. Iam reallysorry about Kieran.:(

:bigtears:dear shiloh, i am so sorry. please stay strong for the sake of the others. we are all here for you!:hug:

fly free little keiran, you brightened many a life during your brief time with us:pray:

Shiloh has asked me to update the thread as she is getting ready to leave...

Luckily the nice vet with the pet cockatoo spent some time talking with Shiloh and she is adament about seeing them.After discussing, it was agreedthat they will bring onlyTeddy in so that the other two can stay in the nest box. If I understood correctly, this vet will give them medicine but Shiloh may have to go to another vet to get another prescription that she prefers.

Please keep them all in your thoughts as they deal with all this. Sending you good vibes!!! :pray:

I am in tears just reading about this....:bigtears:I am so sorry about little Kieran. I will keep you and the others in my thoughts and prayers :pray:

I am so sorry that you lost Keiran....I was hoping that wouldn't happen - but I know you have wonderful memories of your limited time with him.

I'll be watching the thread for more updates.

Nela, thank you for updating the thread for me. And thank you everyone for writing. It's good to know baby Kieran will be remembered and other people cared about him. He was only here 12 days, but I grew so attached to him in that time. I remember how thrilled I was when he started to chirp in his egg and how elated I was when he hatched. I thought I would have the next 20 or so years with him :in tears: Watching him suffer and die was terrible, poor baby. I'm glad he didn't linger any longer than he did.

We got medicine from the vet. Paul's actually at the pharmacy right now filling the prescriptions. The vet turned out not to be terribly experienced with cockatiels and said several very obvious things that I know are not correct, but it's better than nothing! She confirmed that Teddy has sour crop (no surprise there) and that Neeja seems to be just beginning (I decided to bring him too). She didn't have much hope for Teddy, but we will try. He's going to need around the clock care with food approximately every 30 minutes and meds 4 times a day. She told me not to return Neeja to the nest box for now because his crop is being slow too. So he will be hanging out in the brooder with Teddy for the time being. Hopefully we can get him turned around since his sour crop is just beginning.

Little Phoenix is all by himself. So far he is looking pretty good. I'm worried about him being alone in the nest box though because Arthur and Poppet aren't going in there very often (they're undoubtedly wondering where the heck their other babies) and I don't want him to get chilled. I can tell he's cooler feeling already. If they won't keep him warm, I'm going to have to take over and hand feed him! It would be best for him if his parents would take care of him and I already have 2 other sick babies to look after. Breeders don't normally pull chicks to hand feed until they're 14 days old and he's only 6 days old- the younger they are, the harder it is to feed them and the easier it is for things to go wrong :(

This may not be fair, but I am irritated with Arthur and Poppet. Phoenix is sitting in the nest box getting cold, and Arthur is sitting at the entrance to the nest box instead of keeping him warm! Phoenix will die if he gets chilled. He's already at risk of getting sour crop, and being chilled makes the risks even higher. If I pull him to keep him warm in the brooder, I doubt I'd be able to put him back and count on them keeping him warm/feeding him. They need to figure things out really darn fast.

Now Arthur is at the bottom of the cage with Poppet. Argh! Do not squander the life of your 1 healthy chick! I'm sure they're upset about only having 1 chick and wonder where the others are, but they still need to take care of him.

Back