Clumps of fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I wouldn't say usually... all of my first time moms have done great, young or not. I understand why you think that and it's partially true... but usually, rabbits tend to do well whether it's their first time or not. I definitely agree with the fact that she should be prepared though, because it can happen.

Flopsy is doing well.. I did put a box in there with her but she hasn't touched it much she has sat in it a few times but not brought any hay or nesting items in there so I'm not sure what's she is doing would she be nesting already at about two and a half weeks into to her pregnancy

If se is two and a half weeks pregnant, she would be about 18 days pregnant, so she would have 13 days still. She should not be nesting now. If she did, that would mean it would be a false pregnancy because rabbits don't nest that early. Or very rarely do they nest that early and carry to term.

She should start nesting in about 8-9 days. :)

I'm glad she is doing well. Good luck! :)

I'm really sorry I didn't get back to this sooner; got caught up in other stuff ><

First of all thank all of you guys for answering!:) here is more information (the answer to the questions Imbrium asked)
~she is housed with another male rabbit
~She is 5 months old and stitch(he cage mate) also 5 months old
~Flopsy(the one losing the fur) is obviously a girl and Stitch is a boy:/
~ Stitch is fixed, he was fixed two weeks ago and Flopsy is not fixed
~they are properly bonded( they were raised by the same mom but aren't siblings
~I found the first clump of fur about 4 days ago
~I haven't seen ANY signs of fighting not even grunts they cuddle with each other constantly
~I believe the fur is coming from her neck or armpit areas

Sadly there is a possibility she is pregnant just because for the first month and half that I had them both I thought and was told they were both girls so there was no rush to get them fixed. One more thing I want to say is that the reason that she isn't fixed is because the vet didn't want to do an operation on such a small bunny but that was a month ago and she has grown a lot sense so we will get her spayed ASAP. That is if she isn't pregnant:/

They can't actually be considered fully bonded until they're BOTH altered AND their hormones are gone (which takes up to a month post-spay for females and up to 6-8 weeks for males; males can also potentially remain FERTILE for that long after a neuter). At this point in time, both of your bunnies are hormonal, making fighting a distinct possibility (and even if it hasn't yet, it could at any time).

If she's pregnant and you don't wish to have the kits (which may potentially suffer health issues as a result of such close inbreeding), it's possible to get an "emergency spay" up until around 2-2.5 weeks into the pregnancy (which I believe is no riskier than spaying a non-pregnant female, but of course it would be best to confirm that with your vet if you're considering one). It's technically the same thing as a regular spay, but since the uterus is removed during the spay surgery, it terminates the pregnancy. [As a note, based on your answers, I would also guess pregnancy or false pregnancy as the cause of all the fur.]

Regardless of what you do in regards to the possible pregnancy, you NEED to separate them ASAP. Make sure they're separated enough that they can't fight (or mate) through the cage/pen bars; as long as they can still see and smell each other while separated, they should be able to maintain the "baby bond" they formed as juveniles.

The separation absolutely needs to happen for a few reasons:
~ Both are hormonal, putting them at risk of hormone-induced fighting... which can be vicious or even deadly
~ Your male is probably still fertile, so if she isn't pregnant, he could potentially get her pregnant
~ If she's already pregnant, you *really* don't want him housed with her when she kindles - a male could kill the kits or stress them mom out to the point that she rejects them; also, females are ULTRA fertile for the first 72h or so after giving birth - the odds of back-to-back pregnancies is sky high if a fertile male is housed with a female during that time. Back to back litters are always very hard on a female's body, but they're especially so when she's young enough to still be growing.

Hello, someone news opinion here! :)

I would say she sounds to be pregnant and if she's about two and a half weeks along. One of my does are at the same stage in her pregnancy (Also before anyone gets grumpy I'm a breeder of Dwarf and Cashmere Lops) she's mild tempered growls, snorts and lunges! Terrible little miss she is.

Anyway back to my point some rabbits do on fact nest at two weeks along it's not unusual for them to try, have you noticed any holes in the bedding? Without fur, as this can be the first sign before any fur is actually plucked. And as for the palpating to feel for kits don't be shocked if you can't feel anything and remain skeptical as it's not something easy to master rabbits hide pregnancy very easily. They can show barely any signs at all but there are a few ways to find out if she is pregnant like pulling gently on her belly fur if it comes out in clumps then she's pregnant (Or experiencing a false pregnancy) but then really only works as a sure signs from a few days to a couple hours before delivery. Also rabbits don't gain weight or have any signs of larger abdomens in pregnancy the only time this would have a chance of occurring is if they're carrying a fairly large litter (8+)

I would be separating the two immediately. as someone said earlier if she isn't pregnant she could very well be soon.

Also on the bonding side of things I've had rabbits since I was very young and most of them have been unaltered and does and bucks were in separate herds and rarely was there a scuffle.

Latest posts

Back