Clumps of fur

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stitch&flopsy

Reaction score
I have been finding these clumps of fur all around the bunnies area. These are coming from my rabbit Flopsy. I don't know why this is happening because it is February and they aren't molting. I don't know if it would be a health issue like not enough vitamins or what? Please if you know why this is happening or any advice tell me!:) ATTACH]8162[/ATTACH]

ImageUploadedByRabbit Forum1392850294.650890.jpg

Are the bunnies housed together? This is a sign of fighting. One bunny is biting out clumps of the other's fur. Separate them immediately, and give them all a thorough check for any injuries.

*If* the bunnies in question are spayed/neutered/properly bonded then fighting, while a possibility, doesn't seem like the most likely one... especially if there's a LOT of fur but you never see any chase scenes or fights when you're around them (usually once fighting starts, it continues/escalates until the conflict is properly resolved via rebonding and, if applicable, spaying/neutering). Of course, if everyone involved isn't altered, no longer hormonal and properly bonded to the each other, then fighting could absolutely be the issue.

Are you *sure* Flopsy's not molting? Rabbits molt pretty freaking often and molt times can vary quite a bit... Gazzles, my Holland lop, is experiencing a fairly explosive molt as we speak.

If the rabbits are bonded, you do NOT want to separate them to the point where they can't see/smell each other as this can break their bond... however, it *would* be ok to separate them while keeping them in the same room (perhaps by dividing their territory with an x-pen or a wall of NIC grids as fencing). This way, you don't upset their bond if fighting isn't actually the problem, yet you'll be able to determine based on whether or not the clumps of hair continue to show up all over the place whether the cause is fighting or molting. Also, I would give Flopsy a thorough brushing/combing (or furminating... man, do I LOVE my furminator!) - if you find yourself pulling out clumps of hair during the grooming session, then that would point towards molting.

As Laura mentioned, it's definitely a really good idea to check everyone over for injuries just to make sure they're all ok.

If fighting does turn out to be the cause, then you'll need to keep the rabbits apart temporarily until you can get them re-bonded (not necessarily as difficult as it sounds, btw).

First... are you absolutely sure she couldn't be pregnant? I had a rabbit I didn't know was pregnant until I started finding clumps of fur like that on the ground.

Second, fighting is not all that bad. It's normal for the rabbits, but if she actually has injuries on her, then you should separate them. If they are just nipping sometimes and not drawing blood or anything, I would let them work it out and be rabbits.

What breed is she? My French lops molt once a year, so some rabbits don't molt very often. If she's a French Lop (which I doubt but many people name their frenchies Flopsy, lol) then I would not think she would be molting.

Jennifer: Would molting fur come out in big clumps like that though? In the pic looks like it was pulled right off the bun from one skin area. I quite likely don't have as wide a range of experience as you do, but my bunnies have the same type of fur - longish and fluffy - and while they have had pretty vicious molts, the hair usually comes off individually or in little twisted tufts. Or in clouds (lol).

But when Merls and Rosey got into a scuffle once (sometime while we were all out), there were clumps of fur that looked JUST like that all over the floor. Aside from all the pulled fur, they looked calm and were grooming, so I thought the fight was over... but right after I cleaned up the fur, the little buggers were biting, grunting and flopping around again. I had to stick in a cage divider for the next few hours before I felt comfortable getting them out to reconcile over a big shared plate of veggies.

So that's why my mind immediately went to fighting, just 'cause they look fine one moment doesn't mean they won't scuffle the next!

But of course, stitch&flopsy, Jennifer makes a very good point and for all I know some buns may just be big shedders like that. Just keep a close eye on them to figure out how exactly the fur's been coming off :)

This happened to our Rose a couple of years ago & we rushed her to the vet. She told us that Rose was nesting. Even though she didn't have another rabbit around it was just an instinct for her to do so. (She wasn't spayed at the time)

Of course, it COULD be a false pregnancy. I would put a box in there in case she wants to nest.

fighting is not all that bad. It's normal for the rabbits, but if she actually has injuries on her, then you should separate them. If they are just nipping sometimes and not drawing blood or anything, I would let them work it out and be rabbits.

Honestly, I disagree. Rabbit fights can be mild, but they can also be vicious or even deadly. Unless the rabbits involved are all altered AND fully bonded, it simply isn't truly safe to leave them together unsupervised... and if they *are* altered/bonded, there should NOT be fights serious enough to result in significant amounts of fur pulling - disputes should be fairly rare and be more akin to a bit of bickering than an actual fight. With my girls, there's occasionally a nip on the bootie or a brief chase scene, but never more than that unless there's a legitimate problem with their bond... in which case, I have to get involved and help them repair it (the couple of times it's happened, a playdate on neutral territory solved things).

This happened to our Rose a couple of years ago & we rushed her to the vet. She told us that Rose was nesting. Even though she didn't have another rabbit around it was just an instinct for her to do so. (She wasn't spayed at the time)

As for both the pregnancy and false pregnancy ideas, those didn't actually occur to me... which I suppose is because the OP's description was of "clumps of fur all around the bunnies area". I was under the impression that when a doe pulled fur for a pregnancy (false or legit), it tended to end up in a pile/nest somewhere. However, I've *never* actually witnessed a pregnancy or false pregnancy, so I'm hardly an expert on the matter.

Jennifer: Would molting fur come out in big clumps like that though? In the pic looks like it was pulled right off the bun from one skin area.
But when Merls and Rosey got into a scuffle once (sometime while we were all out), there were clumps of fur that looked JUST like that all over the floor. Aside from all the pulled fur, they looked calm and were grooming, so I thought the fight was over... but right after I cleaned up the fur, the little buggers were biting, grunting and flopping around again.

Molting fur coming out on it's own like that? Honestly, I'm not sure it's possible... but I wouldn't rule it out, either, as molts are pretty unpredictable even within the same bunny - one molt can differ greatly from the next. Molts are "anything can happen" wildcards. However, I can state definitively that if a bunny goes into a molt and isn't being brushed/combed often enough, it's entirely possible that they might pull out their OWN fur in big clumps during the molt and then wisely spit out the mouthful of fur... and that could easily look similar to fighting-related pulled fur.

Many molts start gradually and ramp up, but sometimes a molt will start out already going full-force with the bunny blowing their coat pretty explosively - in the latter situation, the molt can reach a severity that inclines a bunn to pull out molting fur by the mouthful overnight, before you even have a chance to realize they're molting and get on top of grooming the heck out of them... leading to a delightful game of analyzing hair clumps, watching behavioral clues like a hawk and furminating the heck out of the bunns so that you can determine ASAP whether the fur clumps resulted from a fight or a molt. I've had multiple false alarms where I got paranoid, suspecting a fight, only to have it turn out to be a violent molt.

The other reasons why I was inclined to suspect molting over fighting:
~ As I said, fighting of that severity tends to escalate to the point that it gets witnessed pretty quickly (like in your example, where you thought the fighting was over only to have it turn around and start right back up again).
~ Having been through the ordeal of an abruptly broken bond before, my own experience has taught me that the fighting happens pretty frequently until the bond is repaired; while it's easy to not witness the initial fight because you happen to not be around, it's never very long before you catch a subsequent fight in the act.
~ Molting happens far more often than bonds break
~ Rabbits who are not truly bonded and/or are unaltered and have reached sexual maturity ARE fairly inclined to have unexpected bursts of fighting... but since they should never be left alone together in those situations, there's theoretically no reason for fighting to be high on the list of probable causes.

~~~~~

The TLDR of ALL of the responses in the thread is this: we're really just all tossing out random theories/possibilities based on our own experiences involving "clumps of fur". There's some interesting brainstorming going on but absolutely no way to narrow down the possibilities, let alone agree on a "most likely culprit", without more information. At this point, any of us could be right, any of us could be wrong and for that matter, NONE of us could be right.

So pretty much... answers to the following questions would be immensely helpful and might allow us to help you get to the bottom of things:

~ How many rabbits are housed in "the bunnies' area"?
~ What are their ages?
~ What are their genders?
~ Are they ALL spayed/neutered?
~ Have they ALL been properly bonded together?
~ How long ago did you start finding the clumps of fur?
~ Have you witnessed ANY signs of fighting, chasing or even just general dissension between Flopsy and another bunny in the time since first seeing fur clumps?
~ Does the fur seem to be coming from all over, or from a particular part of her body (for example, a rabbit pulling fur for a false or real pregnancy would pull primarily from their dewlap (neck) area and perhaps chest/stomach)?
[Also, if it's not too much trouble, a picture showing the general appearance of her coat (bird's eye view is probably ideal) could potentially be helpful in regards to ruling molting in or out.]

Anyone else have any relevant questions to add that I've overlooked?

First of all thank all of you guys for answering!:) here is more information (the answer to the questions Imbrium asked)
~she is housed with another male rabbit
~She is 5 months old and stitch(he cage mate) also 5 months old
~Flopsy(the one losing the fur) is obviously a girl and Stitch is a boy:/
~ Stitch is fixed, he was fixed two weeks ago and Flopsy is not fixed
~they are properly bonded( they were raised by the same mom but aren't siblings
~I found the first clump of fur about 4 days ago
~I haven't seen ANY signs of fighting not even grunts they cuddle with each other constantly
~I believe the fur is coming from her neck or armpit areas

Sadly there is a possibility she is pregnant just because for the first month and half that I had them both I thought and was told they were both girls so there was no rush to get them fixed. One more thing I want to say is that the reason that she isn't fixed is because the vet didn't want to do an operation on such a small bunny but that was a month ago and she has grown a lot sense so we will get her spayed ASAP. That is if she isn't pregnant:/

Oh! Well from your answers, it does look like a pregnancy, either real or false, is likely to be the culprit here. Try palpating your fingers over her belly and see if you can feel any little grape-sized babies.

I can't feel any baby bunnies but she isn't nesting so I was wondering what that would mean

Sounds like a pregnacy to me too..I had a female bunny that did the same thing not long ago she just started leaving hair like that randomly...I would do what someone else suggested and put a nest box in there for her and see what happens.I did that for my girl and within 4 days she had her litter.You also mentioned that she has gotten alot bigger over the last month,has her belly and chin gotten chubby?I had meadow for 27 days before she had her kits(she was pregnant when i rescued her but i didn't know at that time)over the month i had her i noticed that she got a chubbier in her belly(like she got wider lol)and her chin area got chubby too then the trying to nest with the hair at first and gathering hay too.Has he personality and behaviour changed at all?

You should just put a box in and wait a month. If you aren't experienced, palpating will most likely be really hard. You have to set the rabbits up, place your palm under her stomach, and push up, squeezing your fingers together. I'm a rabbit breeder, and even I have problems palpating! It took me FOREVER to even feel anything. Before I could figure out palpating, I just watched their stomachs. If you see anything other than a rolling movement, you've got babies in there.

Just put a box in now... because if she really is pulling fur, she's probably less than a week out from kindling.

Oh, for a perfect nest box, put 1-2 inches of wood chips in the bottom (that you know are safe for rabbits, not cedar, I use pine), and fill the rest with an abundance of hay/straw/newspaper. I don't recommend paper, because it gets really dirty, but you can use it in a pinch.

I hope you have healthy babies soon! Sounds like you will! Good luck! :D

She has gotten a bit wider but not by a very significant amount. Her personality has changed she has became much less active and not coming to me when I walk to the cage she isn't as excited about her pellets anymore. I have one more question with her being just five months could this pregnancy( if it's real) put HER in any sort of danger

What breed is she? If she's a dwarf, then probably not. If she's a french lop, then it wouldn't even be possible.

I doubt it, she'd be past her pubertal "teenage" stage so it shouldn't be too hard to birth the kits. You have to be prepared that first time moms, especially young ones, tend end up with a lot of dead kits. You'll have to keep a close eye on those who survive.

Latest posts

Back