Clumps of fur from 2 rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunlow

Lunlow
Reaction score
I have two dwarf lops (one is crossed with a lionhead too) and they have just about reached sexual maturity. Today I found 2 clumps of fur in the hutch (they were big clumps, too), in about the same place, 1 from each rabbit. They were wet on one side, though, and I couldn't see any roots on the hair. I cannot, from the check I completed, find any injuries and there was no blood in the hutch or on the fur. They seemed content to eat the food I put in the hutch.

Does this mean they were fighting? They seem to be bonded, as far as I can tell, and from what the pet shop told me when putting them together as babies. The lionxlop is also currently humping the lop, although they are both female and is caused by hormones and fighting for dominance, so is it possible that they just had a little fight because one was irritated by it? Neither are spayed, and I'm not sure my parents would allow it due to the cost. Is there anything I can do to find out whether it is molting or fighting, or is the only way to allow them to continue living together is spay them? Or should I groom them, find out whether it is molting and then find out whether to separate them?

Thanks, a confused and scared bunny owner.

Intact females are not likely to bond. Baby bonds simply don't count as bonds at all. Unfortunately it is ill-advised to get two intact, young rabbits and expect them to remain bonded. The pet stores just try to sell pets and don't tell people this.

Right now, with them both becoming hormonal, you never know when/if, the dominance will change to vicious - even deadly- fighting. Normally, it would be a good idea to separate them now, spay them both, then try to re-introduce them and hope that they decide to get along and bond.

Back