Clipping of nails?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul2641

Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for advice on how to clip my lionhead rabbits nails. I only managed to get 2 and I have 2 rabbits to clip all the nails that like 40 nails so I'm in trouble.

The only way that I can do it is for my BF to hold them against his chest with their feet sticking out then I go in and clip. They refuse to trance and I can't get them into a bunny burrito, it freaks them out. Good luck to you! I was taking mine to Petsmart but they charge $13.00 per bunny. That would be $39.00 and I would much rather spend that on toys :)

RexyRex wrote:
The only way that I can do it is for my BF to hold them against his chest with their feet sticking out then I go in and clip. They refuse to trance and I can't get them into a bunny burrito, it freaks them out. Good luck to you! I was taking mine to Petsmart but they charge $13.00 per bunny. That would be $39.00 and I would much rather spend that on toys :)

O.K. thanks I'll have to get my mother to restrane them.

Can they get to stressed out and like have a heart attack from this.

I don't think so. Chris will cuddle them for a bit first and then turn them around so their backs are against his chest and their feet are sticking out. If they start to kick and stress out, he turns them back around and comforts them again. It really only takes a couple of minutes to clip the nails so usually it's over before they even have a chance to be upset about it.

RexyRex wrote:
I don't think so. Chris will cuddle them for a bit first and then turn them around so their backs are against his chest and their feet are sticking out. If they start to kick and stress out, he turns them back around and comforts them again. It really only takes a couple of minutes to clip the nails so usually it's over before they even have a chance to be upset about it.
Well mine completely won't co-operate and I'm getting very angry with them.

The smallest amount of blood came out of Roger's nail today it was the smallest sprinkle. Will he be alright. If I was to use a metal nail file would that work?

I have a lionhead to and I think her nails are alot harder to cut then my mini rex. They have so much hair around their feet and nails. I usually do what the other person said wrap them up like a burrito. I use a towel and someone holds them and someone cuts. The pet stores carry a powder you can use to stop the bleeding if you cut to close. I have had to use it and it really works. I would say as long as it has stopped bleeding and you watch it to make sure it doesn't start again your bunny will be ok. It might be a little sore for a few days. I let my vet cut them last time and it was $15 but it was so worth it. I hate cutting their nails.

[email protected] wrote:
I have a lionhead to and I think her nails are alot harder to cut then my mini rex. They have so much hair around their feet and nails. I usually do what the other person said wrap them up like a burrito. I use a towel and someone holds them and someone cuts. The pet stores carry a powder you can use to stop the bleeding if you cut to close. I have had to use it and it really works. I would say as long as it has stopped bleeding and you watch it to make sure it doesn't start again your bunny will be ok. It might be a little sore for a few days. I let my vet cut them last time and it was $15 but it was so worth it. I hate cutting their nails.
I have a metal nail file would that by any chance work as a way of blunting the nails?

A nail file probbaly would not do as good a job, you would actually have to get your bunny to hold still longer for that. As far as the blood, he will be fine, it just means you trimmed it back a little too far.

Will your bunnies sit still on your lap for you? If so, you can sort of lean over them adn trim the nails from above. Most of them take this better than being restrained. Don't worry about giving them a heart attack, that can happen but it would take a lot worse situation than a nail trimming to do it. I have trimmmed a LOT of nails in my time, LOL, some of those bunnies had been abused and barely handled before and I have never had anything close to a heart attack happen.

I think a nail file would take a long time to get there nails down to where you want it to be. I think it would be less stressful for the rabbit to get it over with quickly.

Even my vet said that the lionheads nails were hard to cut because of all the hair. My vet told me she uses a dremmel tool to cut animals nails. I don't know if it would be safe for someone nonexperienced to use one or how expensive they are. I do know she had my rabbits back to me in like a minute. It takes me longer to pick them up and get them situated so I can even cut there nails.

I would love an easy way to cut their nails but so far I haven't found one. When it comes time again I will consider taking them back to the vet to have it done.

What colour are your buns nails?

If they are pale it is easier becuase you can see a little white bit, anything above that is dead nail which you can cut away.

If they are black like my bunnies you press down with the clippers and if the bun reacts its too low down so go a bit higher.

Becca wrote:
What colour are your buns nails?

If they are pale it is easier becuase you can see a little white bit, anything above that is dead nail which you can cut away.

If they are black like my bunnies you press down with the clippers and if the bun reacts its too low down so go a bit higher.
Thanks for the advise. I will prob just go to the vets.

Okay then, though it is useful to know.

Also what I do is, I do them once a month so they don't get to long then I just cut a little bit of at a time so its quick and easy :)

My vet also told me some groomers may cut their nails. My vet is like 30 min away so I have considered that. I don't know if it would be any cheaper then having your vet do it.

Muffin badly needs his nails clipped, my arm is starting to look like I've been wrestling cats! We decided to take him to the vet to be groomed, and we will watch. Then next time we'll try it ourselves. I'm terrified of cutting the quick so it's good to know there's something I can put on the nail in that case!

Latest posts

Back