Clear Mucus In Stool...Again...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mariethomas

Reaction score
Sigh.

Mucus returned again to Korn today. If it even is considered mucus of course. Usually when something odd happens I document it or even take a high res picture of the droppings to remember exactly what happened. Korn is a longer haired lion head, he has a large mane, chest hair, and the hair near his bottom is long too. He enjoys grooming time but the only area he won't let me comb his mostly his chest. He passes a lot of "bracelets" due to his weird chewing habits and his hair intake. I try to groom him as much as possible, but they never seem to go away. But I'm also always happy that his gut pushes them through.

It may seem odd but I've always taken my rabbits poop very seriously because it almost always indicates that something is wrong. I think about 3 weeks ago, he passed a connected poop with a single hair with yellow mucus? It was a tiny bit, and I never saw it again so I decided to let it go, and if I saw it again, I'd have to bring him in.

Today I was out at my vet with Casper. (Deworming) so I was not with him much. I took him out today and he was not acting like himself, running around or chewing toys, he was just in his liter box spot sitting down.

He often goes in the liter box, and everywhere outside of it too. But he didn't tonight, and he just sat in his spot. Only when I got on his level and called him to me did he even come close. I was worried so I decided maybe change of scenery would help. And it did. When I took him out to the living room, where he chinned everything and was more animate. He went downstairs and back and continued to act like himself. He even humped my leg, which made me think he was okay since he had the energy, and was resisting to me picking him up.

Throughout all of this, I noticed he didn't poop everywhere like usual, just peed. He NEVER has droppings that are oddly shaped, smaller, etc. Just bracelets and his regular droppings. He didn't want to drink any water, or eat any pellets, or hay. I am having a terrible time getting hay because the weather is horrible, which means they don't bring it in. I think the lady is sick of me calling and asking if they've brought any in yet. I gave him some Culantro (already forgot what this is in English) that was soaked in water so he would consume something and take in some fluids. I put him to bed now but he hasn't touched anything inside.
I'm just worried he will get worse over night. Or while I am away tomorrow for 9 hours.

I took some pictures of what I found. I'm going to phone my vet tomorrow, but I'd just like to have an idea of what's wrong, once again.
Could this even be related to the E.coli they were diagnosed with weeks ago?

Thank you.

Picture 1204.jpg

Picture 1205.jpg

One of the poos has something that looks like a white worm in the photos- I don't think it is a worm, maybe its just a hair but thought I would say something just in case.

I don't really know what the mucus means but thought I would say that a lot of breeders of fuzzy rabbits like Angora suggest giving flaxseeds for wool block, they gel up and become slippery in the digestive system. Here is a link to someone who suggests them with fuzzy lops http://www.fuzzylop.com/News_Winter_09_wool_block.htm
She makes a good point saying they are good for wool block and also are in Critical care for rabbits, they sooth the digestive system- they are also very high in vitamin E which is good for rabbits. I have Jersey Woolies and a Cashmere lop and give them all 1/4 teaspoon of flaxseed everyday. You don't need to give very much- because it is rather fattening. I've even given it to baby rabbits with success.

But I'm not really sure about white mucus- wish I had more advice hopefully the Vet will be able to tell you. Good luck :)

I don't really know what the mucus means but thought I would say that a lot of breeders of fuzzy rabbits like Angora suggest giving flaxseeds/linseeds for wool block, flaxseeds gel up and become slippery in the digestive system. Here is a link to someone who suggests them with fuzzy lops http://www.fuzzylop.com/News_Winter_09_wool_block.htm
She makes a good point saying they are good for wool block and also are in Critical care for rabbits, they sooth the digestive system- they are also very high in vitamin E which is good for rabbits. I have Jersey Woolies and a Cashmere lop and give them all 1/4 teaspoon of flaxseed everyday. You don't need to give very much- because it is rather fattening. I've even given it to baby rabbits with success.

But I'm not really sure about white mucus- wish I had more advice hopefully someone else on here will know. Good luck :)

I was thinking the white stuff, WAS a worm of some sort at first. On the second picture, there is a clear hair that makes it look like there is a worm, there is also some blue fluff.

I don't think he has wool block, but it's possible. I'm sure pushing hay and home remedies could help.
What are flaxseeds/linseeds? Are we talking the physical seeds, cooked and fed? I read you'll find them in critical care, but I have no experience with CC.
He is eating again, and drinking water. Sorry if this sounds stupid but, pineapple juice is...derived from a straight pineapple? I highly doubt I'll find the juice here in a supermarket...

I appreciate the page but I don't think he's down to this level yet. :) I did look up some remedies for wool block as well. I like to feel like I have alternatives if I can't find any seeds or have a hard time with them. I am going to refer to this page too, if anything.
http://voices.yahoo.com/homemade-treatments-rabbits-wool-block-182227.html?cat=51

Update on his droppings, most of them are "wet" looking with these white things.

I just spoke to my vet, he said it's the previous infection over again. I have a previous thread where a lot happened and finally it went away about a month in. I now have to give that for 8 days, every 12 hours.

All I can think is he has picked up something again. It's probably best to go ahead and get a fecal sample tested.

You're in a unique situation to many of us. Because of your location, you don't have access to the same foods and medical care that we do, so it can be a bit difficult to know what to recommend to you.

I understand and agree. I wish it was different here. For now we are just going to remain with the 8 day medication. Thanks.
We certainly do not have any medical care for animals other than cats or dogs, but sell SO many rabbits.

When I say white things, I was referring to the white mucus. Fortunately, none of his droppings look like the picture. It's terrible not being able to get pet related things, especially when it comes down to medications.

Do they have lots of horses in Ecuador. This is just a thought but I wonder if a horse vet would be better than a cat / dog vet. Rabbits are more like horses than dogs and cats, they eat the same things, hay etc., and have some of the same stomach issues like colic.

I don't live near any of them, but I know where there's a lot. I actually never thought of that. I knew they had things in common, but didn't think I'd find a vet that would want to work with rabbits. I'll have to see if I can find one now...

This is what a person who worked at a rabbit rescue, who I consider to be a rabbit expert, just posted to me when I asked his advice on a medication, he wrote:

"Keep in mind that rabbits are little horses so if you can find a horse vet that is willing to treat a rabbit....protocols are the same.....just on a much smaller scale."

So, yeah rabbits are like little horses :) my own vet also said a similar thing to me.

That is actually adorable! As an update, Korn seems to be much better after the 8 days, no more mucus and no linked poos. Thanks a lot for your help.

Latest posts

Back