Cleaning the anal scent glands....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheenisowner

Reaction score
So I read up a little bit on how to clean and wanted to see if there were any suggestions. This is the first time I'm doing this...and there is a little wax build up. I went to clean but the smell was so strong I felt like I was going to puke. :( Need to mentally prepare myself because I have a very weak stomach :( lol

I've heard of using a Q-tip and petroleum jelly.

Anything else that has worked for you guys?

I wouldn't suggest using anything petroleum on a rabbit's sensitive skin. A little water on the QTip is all I have used. The smell is horrible. The things we do for our buns.

I will use warm water if they are not too bad, but will use vegetable oil (canola usually) if they are more gunky. It usually takes 1-3 q-tips per side.

Mineral Oil is good to use also. Or like everyone said warm water and Q-tips.

Buy some disposable gloves and some masks if you find the smell that bad. It doesn't bother me, I guess because I nursed for many years, believe humans are much worse then a little bunny.

I've also used a very soft plush wash cloth very gently to clean that area.

Susan:)

I would check into the possibility of it being a problem for the bun but you could try putting a little Vics (vapor rub) right under your nose to help block the scent gland smell.

here is a video I watched.....
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vldSCV9qY3c[/ame]

But I was also told dont fix what is not broken, what I mean is unless they are showing sign of infection dont clean.

P.S. only use mineral oil vets recommend this.

Personally, I'll never see the big deal with scent glands, it can smell a little gross but I suppose I just accept that caring for animals isn't just the fun stuff. It quite honestly does not bother me at all.

We just use warm water and a Q-tip, like everyone else.

I always clean it if it looks dirty. I would imagine it being quite uncomfortable for the bunnies.

The first time I smelled it I felt so sick to my stomach. It may sound weird, but I've gotten used to it. In no way do I like the smell, but its bearable and I can clean them with no problem now.

Anyone know what makes some buns get super gunned up and others never have a problem with it?

What???Anal scent glands??? Clean them??? :shock:

OK this is the first I've read about this. I was on another bunny site and it had a list of monthly maintenance and it was listed. I had no idea. (Yes, I did do research before we brought Twigs home.) I can guarantee that he has NEVER had this done and he's 2 yrs old. My mom (where Twigs came from)simple had him in a hutch outside with no real care. She would clip his nails but not as often as they should be.

Now he's a SPOILED house bun :biggrin:who does binkies every day while playing with the kids.

So, and sorry this is so long, but how do you do this to a bunny that HATES to be picked up and it takes 2 people to even clip his nails???

Haha ape. I'm in the same boat. We have handling lessons on friday to figure this out hopefully.

We check every couple of months and use scent free baby wipes and a finger. Most of ours don't really need cleaning that often, but, it's good to always stay ahead of things rather than playing catch up.

Apebull wrote
So, and sorry this is so long, but how do you do this to a bunny that HATES to be picked up and it takes 2 people to even clip his nails???
I'd like to know the answer to this too :?
I don't think Mimi has ever had her scent glands cleaned, and I'm afraid to even try it with her because it's hellish enough getting her to let me clip her nails. afterwards she's very agitated and grunts a lot, so I try to put her through it as little as possible.

Latest posts

Back