Cleaning matted back legs.

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyGrandbunns

Reaction score
Hello there Dear Bunny Family.
My Grand-Bunny man has quite a bit of thicker fur on his hind legs and underneath tail. I have tried to hold him but he struggles and takes off stamping. We have been told in the past you can soak them in warm water but i don't know how on earth i could hold him in water- and fear he could have a heart attack. How do other people keep their bunns bottom and back feet trimmed?

When I had to give a rabbit a butt bath I used a rather narrow (just the width for the bunny to not accidentially drop to one side), longish container with about an inch of body warm water, and something the same hight as the rim of the container to rest his front body on. To keep him calm it helped to put something that gave him grip into the container (I used a cut up car floor mat, and for resting his front on I used a pretty stiff block of foam)

It wasn't difficult to keep him from trying to get out by placing one hand over his head, and washing his rear with the other.

As for trimming, that's one of the few instances when I put them on their back, on my lap, head tucked under one arm. But I really appreciate when I can get help doing that, another set of hands is useful. And a good electric pet trimmer.

Last edited:
When I had to give a rabbit a butt bath I used a rather narrow (just the width for the bunny to not accidentially drop to one side), longish container with about an inch of body warm water, and something the same hight as the rim of the container to rest his front body on. To keep him calm it helped to put something that gave him grip into the container (I used a cut up car floor mat, and for resting his front on I used a pretty stiff block of foam)

It wasn't difficult to keep him from trying to get out by placing one hand over his head, and washing his rear with the other.

As for trimming, that's one of the few instances when I put them on their back, on my lap, head tucked under one arm. But I really appreciate when I can get help doing that, another set of hands is useful. And a good electric pet trimmer.
Oh thankyou for this..that sounded like a good setup. They are such nervous creatures..i hate to traumatize him!!
How many rabbits do you have?

Unless it's really dirty, I would leave the fur on the feet alone, you want a good fur covering there, helps to prevent sore hocks. If it is dirty (often diet related) then you need to determine the cause so it doesn't happen again.

Unless it's really dirty, I would leave the fur on the feet alone, you want a good fur covering there, helps to prevent sore hocks. If it is dirty (often diet related) then you need to determine the cause so it doesn't happen again.
Thanks Diane, yes i think the back of his feet look ok- it's more under his tail and backside- i feel it's matted but when i try to trim he hops away flicking his feet at me. I'm hopeless at restraining creatures. I will ring up the Vet and see if they are bunny friendly. :)

Latest posts

Back