City Girl Farms

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi!
My dog passed last month. I really had no intention of getting another indoor pet, but I really can’t stand the loneliness. I would love to have another dog, and would even settle for a cat. However, neither one is an option at this time.
I suddenly had a memory of a rabbit my parents had running around with the dogs many years ago. Ooooooh! Bunniiiiiies!!
I seem to be drawn to Lionheads when I see rabbits. Of course, a lot of the bunnies are totally adorable. So many options! But, the LH is my goal. I have not picked up my baby/babies yet, but I have a breeder I’m communicating with.
My experience with various animals (including a week with a rabbit) has me confident that nothing will surprise me. I have driven myself insane learning everything I can, and enjoying the fact that like anything else in life, no two people can agree on what’s right.
I am sure I will have many questions about things that I just can’t decide which way to go.

Hi and welcome to the forum. For a first rabbit, I highly recommend against getting a baby -- for so many reasons! Check here for more on that. :)

It may sound backwards to make such a recommendation but even past new members here on RO who went against that advice later admitted that they wished they had heeded those other voices. o_O

That aside, there is much to prepare for a new bunny. How exciting!

Yes, I’ve seen your opinion on that. I say “baby” as a term of endearment. I was asking the breeder about adults.
We don’t have rabbits at any of our shelters. Most shelters have shut down, and the remaining ones are mostly dogs and cats, and high kill. Thus why I’m going with a breeder.

Yes, I looked them up. It seems I’m out of luck there too.
There is a campground nearby that has domestic rabbits of every kind running loose outside during the day. Perhaps that is where people take their unwanted rabbits.

And that is why I hate pet stores...
A college student walks into a big chain pet store. She adopts the two “3-month-old” “female” Lion Lops left. Puts them in one of those “big” rabbit cages. Thinks one kinda looks male after a few days.
Mother shows them to a friend nearby. They are male. They are around 5-7 months-old.
They bought them on a whim. They didn’t even know they could litter train the rabbits, or that they needed time out of the cage. o_O
Of course I know why people are afraid of people like me that are new. But even I cannot believe people like that.

I got my first rabbit ever when he was 2 months and everything worked out fine. I think that if you want your rabbit to really bond with you you should get it as a baby. When I got mine I asked the breeder if I needed to feed him alfalfa hay and she said no. If I could go back and change anything it would be that. Now I would totally feed him alfalfa hay if he was 2 months. I say you should get a baby or rescue one. The link below rescues rabbits (I got my rabbit from them), but now that I think about it she is located in Memphis which is probably to far away. https://bethanysbunnies.wordpress.com/for-sale/

Yes, it is.
The rabbits I mentioned above are actually in my area. I spoke to the mother earlier. I’m just not sure about two un neutered males that are sexually mature. I would need to get them into the vet ASAP, and I’ve already called. My vet has gone up to $400 for the pair. They won’t be able to get them in for a while. I’m still calling around for a small animal vet (mine is more livestock).
The neglect they are enduring is breaking my heart though. I have a big cage, plenty of gates and pens, stuff to chew, etc. She has food and Timothy hay.
I promised to call her back by tomorrow afternoon.

There are quite a few of actual rabbit rescues in NJ. These are definitely different than the generic shelters (dogs/cats) that only rarely have a rabbit.

The best part of the rescues is that their rabbits are already spayed or neutered!! This will save you those high vet fees!!

https://www.petfinder.com/member/us/nj/maple-shade/for-bunny-sake-rabbit-rescue-nj375/

https://www.petfinder.com/member/us/nj/cream-ridge/kind-heart-rescue-nj86/

https://www.petfinder.com/search/pets-for-adoption/?shelter_id[0]=NJ480&sort[0]=recently_added

https://safehavenrr.org/adopt/

https://www.facebook.com/Willys-Wabbits-553520464726759/

they have plenty of rescues in your area .... are they have more than enough little individual(s) looking for a forever home ....

i would just spend a bit of time with them ( as in the buns ) and see if some of their personalities come out ... and trust me, you wont regret it =)

In general, rescue operations are bursting at the seams with too many rabbits. We've rescued three and it was the best thing that has ever happened to my wife and me in all of our 55-years together. Ours happen to be large and good-natured. Folks tell me, "The smaller the rabbit the bigger the attitude." :) I would recommend "Adopt, don't shop." As others have already mentioned, rabbits adopted from a rescue are likely to be neutered, saving you that worry and expense.

The smaller the rabbit the bigger the attitude describes Bugs! He is only 3 pounds but he is full of personality! The attitudes that rabbits have were one of the things that inspired me to get a rabbit. I was amazed that something so small could be so full of it.

We got our newest bun, Riley at 3.5 months. He's so much fun. Our Lilac tends to be more reserved and likes to lounge, even when she's out of her cage. Riley is everywhere and into everything. Last night he was hopping on a plastic grocery bag. We took it away so he wouldn't chew on it. He knocks over anything on the floor, like the Cheez-it box he got into last night (it was empty). Babies can be work but they are worth it :)

Back