circling, rapid eye movement, tilted head

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about vinegar or another disinfectant that won't destroy the colour of your rugs etc.?? You could ask at a janitor cleaning supply, course there is always the worry of whether it is rabbit safe or not. Have you looked on line for safe alternatives to bleach. Just a thought.

Well the natural cleaner I use says it disinfects, but I don't know about spores. It has vinegar, eucaliptus, lemon, etc. I'm thinking that should be good enough for the carpets. I can use bleach on the litter box since the spores are transmitted via urine.

Tonight Becky's eyes were twitching and she was doing circles before I gave her the medicine. Then she just came hopping out to the livingroom looking just fine a few minutes ago. *sigh* so frustrating

Brandy - it is kind of like a hospital staph infection, once it sets in it takes diligence and perservence to get it beat. Just hang in there, if she needs medicine for another extented period of time, it is way better than the alternative. You are a great bunny mom, just keep her immune system up, clean the very best you can and keep going.

Thanks for the encouragement. I am giving her "perfect food" with her pancur. It has probiotics, wheat grass, antioxidants, etc. so it should help her immune system. I have been keeping her comfortable and as stress free as possible.

Andre is doing his part by chasing Gary around and working out all his energy. Gary had a serious case of the zoomies tongiht. A circle around their house, down the stairs, through the kitchen to our bedroom, lap around the room, back through the kitchen, up the stairs, around the living room, back to his house. All at top speeds over and over again for 45 minutes. They took turns with who was in the lead, so it was mutual partissipation. They both should sleep well tonight.

I have heard of something similar to this before from someone who breeds in the town where i grew up, i cant remember what it is called but she cured and then prevented it with crushed vitamin e pills. may be worth a try... Hope your bun feels better soon.

Oh please do send Derby, he would add to the lovely chaos of the house. We would wear him out! :)

The E probably helps up the immune system to keep the EC in check. The perfect food has a lot of vitamin and minerals in it, but coming from whole food sources. This is much safer than supplementing single nutrients.

Im just now reading about this. I am so sorry to hear that Becky is sick :( I always love hearing about your buns. I wish I knew how to help, but Olivia didnt have head tilt or eye twitches with her EC. She had seizures. But we did the panacur for 28 days and it cleared right up. Now, she did have another bout of it recently. Another 28 days of panacur. I hope Becky gets better and Im sending lots of good vibes to all of you

Two hopps forward one hop back. She came out to the livingroom a couple times over the weekend and is starting to fuss about the medicine. I take these as good signs. I make the pancur taste as good as possible, mixing it with babyfood, but now she is still thumping after I dose her. I can't pick her up or she gets dizzy again, but as long as she keeps all four feet on the ground she's looking pretty good. She's back to demanding oats to eat her pellets, but that is her normal so that's good. She can be very stubborn and hold out all day if she doesn't get her oats on top.

did you ask your vet about this wry neck if he knows anything about this condition it is not only in rabbits but I think all animals can get this. I saw one but didn't know what it was at the time the eyes would circle fast and the head was completely upside down the people said it can eat I don't know how but as soon as the eye were cirling it would do a fast roll over I don't know if I saw a rabbit like I just explained and not having knowledge of this I would of end it's life not knowing if it can be cured it seem to me the rabbit I explained waas suffering what kind of life is it were you (it look like it) were dizzy all the time and have to roll yourself over because you are dizzy.

Don't take this as I would distroy you little one there is things you can give her and it can take time I had a rabbit that cracked her head and fractured it she was in bad shape, she couldn't move for a short time my husband saisd to kill her but I said let's see how far she can get. 3 months went by and she was able to stand and walk thought she was a wobbly she could so back in the cage out side she went. now she had to breed we let her time to get use to the cage and see if she can find the food and water which she did. but she was not interested in breeding.
so it was almost a year in a half and I took her out of the cage for a walk she did a tumblesalt and she fell over and she did this a few times it was that she was not going to get any better and it was not fair to keep her alive becasue I thought just a little more time. My husband did the deed and we opened her head up to see what the brain looked like I have seem many brains from all sorts of animals as well as rabbits. as we looked there was areas of white you could tell where the brian had died there was many white spots. she was as far as she was gonna go and the nest interest of this rabbit was to take her life. She was the best she wasn't afriad of anything but it would not be fair to keep her alive.

I tell you thi story because it may take a lot of time for her to get better I gave my bunny the most time I could before I decide to end her life. you have to decide how long are you gonna try and when it it you will stop trying and if you think the rabbit is suffering. suffering is not crying out my bunny didn't have quality of life and this is what it boils down to what you thnk is quality of life. But don't be hasty thinks can work out if you give it time sometimes my rabbit it was time that is all.

I hope your bunny has a full recovery keep posting so we can see her getting better.

Rhayden

Well, with hingsight I think we lost Cinderella to EC. I had even asked the vet about it at the time, but the vet felt the symptoms were too severe to be EC. She was rolling as you describe, and in the end she went into seizures. Even with medication she would only stop seizing for a few seconds at a time. After holding her all day and the medicine not working I ended up deciding to end her suffering, because I truly believe she was suffering.

I am happy to report though that Becky is doing much better. She was able to periscope last night for a Cherio! I gave her four just to see her able to balance herself :)
She's starting to venture out to the living room and moving around more. She's getting her happy personality back. I'm going to finish the panacur and then give the ivomec just to be sure all bases are covered. I'm going to dose everyone with the ivomec just as a preventative measure.

She still gets a little dizzy when picked up, but that is getting better and she recovers more quicky each day. Now it only takes about 5 minutes until she's fine again.

I think the difference is that Becky has never given up on eating and drinking. She has maintained a sweet disposition and she still interacts with me and her husbunny. When I was cleaning the bird cages over the weekend a couple weeks ago she hoped onto my foot and just sat with me, her little head swaying but clearly happy with the contact. I see improvement, with set backs but each one less, so I truly feel Becky will be able to recover. Cinderella didn't want to eat and the last day was totally unresponsive, there just was no quality of life. I couldn't let her suffer. It's a hard line to draw, but it would have been selfish for me to hold onto her longer. At least her husbunny was with her to the very end and she died peacefully in my arms.

it is a hard thing to do and I tell everyone you have to know you are doing the right thing that you have tried all you can and there is no more to do. Time is a friend it can take a long time for things to get right but I would say in a years time I think a animal should be as far as they will get.
There are times when I didn't have anytime to try anything I have had two bunnies die in chicld birth they were fine the one day and then gone and left a baby I didn't know as much as I do now and just didn't know how to feed them or what to feed them but I know now. I have had animals that I tried to help but it was to late they were to far gone and the only thing I could do is end the suffering by a vet or I did it myself.

YOu have to know what is best or it will eat you up wondering if you did this or that.

I hope your little one continues to get better and all this will be behind your two.

Rhayden

So Becky has been on the panacur for 27 days, almost done with the course. She's still tilting some and dizzy when I pick her up. I am going to get some ivomec tomorrow at the feed store when I pick up hay and give that a try. *sigh* I feel so bad for her.

She's eating great and will stretch out to relax. I hope she is not in pain since she's not giving any indications that she is. I took a nap on the floor with her yesterday, the blankets covering the floor smelled like lavender since I have been giving it to her daily for three weeks. It was a great nap for us both!

She is doing really well. There's no indication unless I pick her up. Unfortunately that still makes her so dizzy. I hope her ears heal over time. I think her career as a therapy rabbit may be over though, I don't want to stress her out. Gary can still go and be a clown for everyone.

She's still eating the lanvender and eating great in general. She has started to run up to the food dish in the morning for her pellets again. It's reassuring to see the old enthusiasm return. I'm going to give her the panacur for one more week just to make sure she is stable and we got everything.

Thanks for asking Mia. :)

YAY! I'm so glad to hear she is doing so well, and will be be praying for her continued recovery. Go Becky! :party0002:

Question just so I know for future reference: so the main medication you used that has helped is Panacur? How often/much do you have to give for that?

Yes, Panacur and Metacam. I gave her the panacur for 6 weeks, one timer per day. I have to look up the dose because I don't want to get it wrong. The metacam I used for the first two weeks and that was 0.1 cc. I did give her a round of injectable baytril incase it was an ear infection, but it didn't make a difference.

Latest posts

Back