Christmas trees and rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lbolar

Reaction score
Hi all,

We got a real tree this year - just brought it home. Last year thistime, my rabbit was too young to run around the house, but this year heowns the place... However, he chews on EVERYTHING, and I'm wondering ifpines are toxic to rabbits because I know he will nibble...should I lethim or should I block off the tree (he can't reach the chords andlights).

THanks!

It's a plantation pine; also called a Monterey Pine.

Thanks for that list by the way. I didn't see pine on it though :(

:yeahthat

I don't think you'll have a problem. Couldn't find your pine,but ran across something about wild rabbits damaging pine trees, don'tthink there's much difference between the rabbits or the pinetrees. :)

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/spf/publications/pestconditions/cond96/animals.htm

Rabbit & Hare
Species Damaged: Douglas-fir, Ponderosa pine, Jeffrey pine, Sugar pine, and White fir.
Damage Trend: Static to decreasing.
Control Methods: Seedling protectors, repellents, and none.
Damage Location: Butte, Fresno, Humboldt, Kern, Lake,Los Angeles, Mariposa, Mendocino, Mono, Plumas, Riverside, SanBernardino, Shasta, Siskiyou, Tehama, Trinity, Tulare, and Tuolumnecounties.
Comments: Damage reported to seedlings 1 to 10 yearsold in plantations at levels of 1 to 100 trees/acre. one respondentreported bark stripping by rabbits. Injuries occurred throughoutnorthern California Coast Ranges, Klamath Mountains, Southern Cascades(M261A), and Sierra Nevada (M261A-G) ecological sections, and theCentral California Coast Ranges and Southern California Mountains(M262A-B).

Oh thanks for that info... But just in case itis harmful,I came up with a way to keep him from getting tothe tree... I took heavy boxes out our storage room and wrapped them!Now he has a huge barrier between him and the tree and it looks likedecorations :)

I was quite proud of myself :)

Quite a few years ago...before I hadbunnies....I had cats. They LOVED to get into the tree. The last year Ihad them, I suspended the tree from the ceiling. I took a picture, buthaven't been able to find it. The tree was about 5 foot and hung about2 feet off the floor.

The cats were still able to get into the tree....a lot of work for nothing, but I imagine that the bunnies would stay grounded.

We don't usually have a problem withchewing. The rabbits are just very curious and want to tearat the packages. Last year we didn't put the packages underthe tree until Christmas Eve.

Snuggy thinks the tree skirt is her blankie.

SnuggyChristmas.jpg

Latest posts

Back