Chippy's got a lump (benign cystic teratoma.....extra ingrown mammary gland)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There were times last night that Chippy's breathing seemed to be labored.
But then the next minute she'd be breathing normally again.

It was like she was taking deeper & faster breaths.
It didn't sound like she was wheezing....but I was a little nervous about getting my face too close to the "sharp pointed teeth and nasty long razor-sharp claws".

I'm concerned that the lump may be putting pressure on her chest, or causing the skin to stretch tight....making it hard for her to breathe.

We've got a vet visit at 8am tomorrow to check the lump.....again.

JimD wrote:
I'm concerned that the lump may be putting pressure on her chest, or causing the skin to stretch tight....making it hard for her to breathe.

We've got a vet visit at 8am tomorrow to check the lump.....again.
Please give Chippy some extra pets and kisses from me. I'm sending positive vibes her way and pray that tomorrow's visit results in some definitive answers. :pray: (I know how frustrating it is to have cyclical pet health issues and no discernable answers. :()

:bestwishes:and extra :hearts:to Chippy and your family.

Im so sorry she isnt well, Jim. Let us know how she does at her appt. I know how frightening it is when they have a problem that never seems to end.

Prayers for Chippy (and hugs for Jim)

Haley

PS. Only Mods can see the Threads in Progress..Im working on it :)

Poor Chippy and poor Jim for having to go through all this....my thought's are right along there with you Jim...and i'm thinking of you and Chippy.

How are you both doing Jim?,..this sounds as if it is taking on another dimension that isn't so positive.

It also is possible that there is another separate issue non-related to the lump
:ponder::pray:

Oh Jim....its gonna take forever for 8 am to get here.....

Please update us as soon as possible -I'll be praying for y'all.

Thanks for all of the good thoughts and prayers.

I let her out for a few hours of runtime after dinner.

The night beforewe go to the vet, I like to give her some blankies and towels that we'll be using. That way she gets some "comfort" scents on them.
Tonight she dug & fluffed them for at least and hour....and had a whole conversation with herself to boot.
She ran and binkied a little..... and flopped a lot.

I got her carrier out to clean it and she thumped me off until I was done.
Good thing Froot Loops make a great peace offering.

I know she knows that were going to see DrC.
She's not happy.
But she's not comfortable either....and her breathing just isn't right somehow.
And I'm sure she can feel how concerned I am ....no matter how hard I try to hide it.

I only got about 4 hours sleep and then overslept.

Luckily I had prepared stuff last night so everything woulld be ready.

We made it to vet on time......only to find that DrC was not scheduled for visits today.
The vet on duty was very nice and apologized, but said that she hadn't treated rabbits in almost 20 years.
She offered to examine Chippy and give her opinion.

I should have just rescheduled and left, but I said she could check Chippy over.
She started talking cancerous-tumor-mass-abcsess-growth-internal-spreading.....and then I stopped listening.
As if I weren't worried enough.

We're rescheduled to see DrC on monday at 5pm.

It's going to be a loooong weekend.

:hug:JimD wrote:
I only got about 4 hours sleep and then overslept.

We're rescheduled to see DrC on monday at 5pm.

It's going to be a loooong weekend.
I'm sorry about the timing of Dr. C's schedule. At least you've a somewhat early appointment to see her (vs. having to wait until mid-week or later).

I'm sending Chippy more positive vibes and mental hugs. :pray: :hug:

I've had stretches of time like that myself; I tend to work myself into fits for bouts of time and feel like I might just crawl outta my own skin. :shock: Right now, I also face the possibility of my first (and only) cat having a fatal illness and understand the concern that the recent vet visit likely put into you.

Please try to not focus on the vet's litany of possible diagnoses. I've heard it said that if you put too much stock into what a medical pro. says, you're more likely to give strength tohis/her words;thus, giving more "power" (in a manner of speaking) to the possible illness. So please focus on Chippy's positive (more normal) behaviors this weekend, and give her lots of extra pets and kisses. :hearts:

I had a vet x-ray my older dog's abdomen and tell me that she had a huge growth and needed immediate surgery

I was devastated and went for a second opinion crying my eyes out.

Thw 2nd vet did an x-ray and said that the" mass" wasnothing more than the shadow of her kidneys lying on top of each other.
There wasn't any tumor and the 2nd vet was right.

angieluv wrote:
I had a vet x-ray my older dog's abdomen and tell me that she had a huge growth and needed immediate surgery

I was devastated and went for a second opinion crying my eyes out.

Thw 2nd vet did an x-ray and said that the" mass" wasnothing more than the shadow of her kidneys lying on top of each other.
There wasn't any tumor and the 2nd vet was right.
Wow. I'd be pretty nervous after receiving the second opinion, knowing that the first vet is practicing medicine (practicing being the operative word). Holy cow! How can a vet not know how to properly read an x-ray? That's very concerning....

I'm really not putting too much stock into what this vet said.

It was the same conversation that DrC had with me before he did the following:

[align=left]~ X-ray that showed no internal invasion. no attachment, no decernable mass.

~ Aspiration that collected only clearfluid,and lab biopsy thatreported itas benign and no bacterial infection present.

~ Surgical removal that revealed an encapsulment ofmulitple content... mostly clear liquid with a small nucleus that might have been beginning to get infected....no abcsess, though.[/align]

[align=left]~ Upon reforming, he did another aspiration that was clear fluid.[/align]​
His concensus is, that it's some kind of chronic sterile cyst and may require regular draining.

I'm inclined to agree with him.

In every other respect, Chippy is acting quite normal.
And I think her long runtime last night helped a lot.... as her breathing has been much better since then.
Maybe she just needed to stretch things out and clear her lungs with a good run.

~Jim

On a sidenote:

I was planning on doing the bunnie room clean-up today, but I think I'll just clean up the scattered hay and change litter pans this evening. I'll do clean-up tomorrow.
Right now it's thunderstorming and my street is flooded.....luckily I got the pool cleaned before it started.
I have a doggy wrapped around each ankle....they hate the thunder.
I'm having lunch, watching some TV,and then maybe taking an afternoon nap.

How are you holding up Jim?

I have read most of the last few pages, but will read it all in more detail asap.

You sound exhausted.

How is everything going?

Sigh....I hope some relief will come soon my friend. Have missed you and all your bunners terribly much and its harder now to know that while I was away, you have been up to so much concern over her health.

Latest posts

Back