Chinchilla care...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChandieLee

Reaction score
My ex emailed me today and asked if I would be able to take in a chinchilla.
I've always wanted a pet chinchilla, but I don't know anything about them. Are there any good websites about their care that I can learn from? I haven't decided on whether or not I'm doing this, but just in case...

I can answer pretty much any questions :) I've had a chinnie for a few years and she's a wonderful pet!

An EXCELLENT forum to go to is Chins-n-Hedgies, there are a lot of very knowledgeable people on there!

http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/

Just make sure you keep the Chin seperate from the rabbits as Pastuerella is more deadly to them then for rabbits.

They do take a fair bit of room as well as they need a tall cage with lots of levels. We have a 6 foot tall cage for Magyk (A converted parrot cage) that she absoloutly loves. They can be trained to pee in a glass pan (Never give them plastic, they will ingest it!) but they will poop everywhere. They do also need dust baths.

They eat a diet of pellets and hay, they cannot process veggies well and it will cause bloat, which is fatal, so they do not get anything but a tiny piece of veggie everyone once in a while. As a treat, my girl will get a raisin once every few weeks and a dehydrated rose bud every couple days. Every night she gets an apple tree stick, which she shreds.

Could I jump on this thread too? If you've seen my recent thread concerning ferrets, I've been looking for a pet for my 13 yr old. Someone suggested a chinchilla instead.

Kipcha, could you give me your opinion on how interactive chinchillas are?
He was hoping for something highly interactive. He likes our rabbits but they aren't as interactive as he would like.

We are in the early consideration stage and have been looking at ferrets or maybe a cat (but I'm allergic to cats).

It really depends on the chin, but Magyk is very interactive. Not so much for sitting still and cuddling, but they LOVE to climb on you. Seriously, whenever Magyk is out I cannot get away from her and she is constantly jumping up my shoulder and standing on top of my head (Her favourite spot). I would say they are more interactive then most rabbits.

They are more delicate then rabbits, though, and need a lot of precaution. They have floating ribcages and they are pretty easily hurt so you just need to be aware of that.

Overall they are very funny little critters and when they popcorn it's just as funny as bunny binkies. They tuck their front legs up and do this weird little bounce like a kangaroo, it's hilarious!

Thanks.
They sound like sweet pets.
We just found out though that they need temps 75F or below. Our house is only that cool in the dead of winter. Usually it's 80F or above (with a/c on).
It doesn't sound like it would be right for me to have one and force it to live in temps too hot for it. :ponder:

Back