Chin scent gland smells

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kadv

Reaction score
My rabbit is just over a year old, un-neutered (will neuter him in january) and i've had him for about a month now. I've noticed a stench coming from him and this wasn't really here when I first got him (whenever i would pet him my hands would smell too). I noticed that it's the same smell of his scent glands. I cleaned up the anal scent glands, but nothing said about cleaning the chin. I feel like I should though because his fur there looks a bit rugged and a strong smell does come from it, but since everything is mainly about cleaning the anal scent glands then i don't know what to do about his chin scent glands. Any tips?

P.s. i also did assume that this might be hormones since he is un-neutered.

As far as I can tell, humans can't smell that chin stuff. On the other hand, the sense of smell varies A LOT between people. Not just better or not so good, but being genetically unable to register certain smells.

Their anal scent glands stink to heaven though, and, they are working full time, cleaning might help to reduce it, but it's soon right back. Hormonal bucks can smell somewhat. I would say, accasionally cleaning his chin with a damp cloth isn't going to do any harm (unless he decides he doesn't like it and bites you). Check the cloth if that's really the smell you're aiming for.

It's good to know which smell is caused by what, smelling urine, for example, can be a sign for problems.

Back