Chickens and Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspen’sbuns

Reaction score
Hello!

we have four chickens, and yesterday one of them passed away after struggling to breathe all day.
We’ve been doing some reading, and think that it may have been coccidiosis. We aren’t 100% sure, but due to how fast she died that’s what we think.
I have 4 bunnies obviously, so I was wondering if it was that coccidiosis, if it could be given to my bunnies.
some things I read say that bunny and chicken coccidiosis are different things, where as others say they are the same.
I’m hoping someone will be able to help!

thanks guys!

Although some protozoa causing coccidiosis are rather host specific, the Eimeria family can pop up in chicken and rabbits. But it's just the same family, it's not the same species of Eimeria that cause problems in each animal.

Why would you think it's Coccidosis? I don't know the symptoms in chicken, but when I had chicken one or the other got sick or dropped dead for a lot of reasons.

I've seen feeding chives or other greens from allium plants in moderation is a natural preventative for rabbits, but I wouldn't feed it if the rabbits aren't used to greens.
Also, if coccidosis is a problem seems to be connected to the local climate, hot, humid regions seem to be more effected, I have zero problems here.

Back