Chewing everything!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulubooboo

Reaction score
My bun Lulu loves to chew. Everything and anything. Is this normal? She tried to chew my zipper my jacket earlier, and chewed my pencil a few days ago. And when I first got her she chewed my rubber bracelets constantly.
Do all buns do this? Or did I just get lucky? I'm just worried that she's going to chew something and get herself sick. Do I just need to be more careful about what I leave laying around?
Thanks for your replies!!

It is perfectly normal and quite common. If she's young and hormonal, it can be even more of a problem.

You do indeed need to be careful about what she can get to. It is also important to bunny proof whatever area she is allowed to roam. They love to chew things (especially extension cords and charging cords) so anything you don't want destroyed needs to be put out of reach or blocked off.

I had curtains that hung to the floor that had holes chewed through them. Learned my lesson and now keep curtains up higher. Buttons on remotes, piping on the edge of cushions, baseboards, furniture edges, book spines.... these are few of the items I have had rabbits chew.

Here are some tips for bunny proofing.

It is perfectly normal and quite common. If she's young and hormonal, it can be even more of a problem.

You do indeed need to be careful about what she can get to. It is also important to bunny proof whatever area she is allowed to roam. They love to chew things (especially extension cords and charging cords) so anything you don't want destroyed needs to be put out of reach or blocked off.

I had curtains that hung to the floor that had holes chewed through them. Learned my lesson and now keep curtains up higher. Buttons on remotes, piping on the edge of cushions, baseboards, furniture edges, book spines.... these are few of the items I have had rabbits chew.

Here are some tips for bunny proofing.

Thank you!! She's 1 1/2 to 2 years, she's a rescue the vet had to guess, and she's been fixed. I guess its just her personality. The weird thing is that she actually at my bracelets, she doesn't lunge at my actual skin though.
Guess she's just jealous... *-*
Thank you again for your help!

They have to chew to wear down their teeth, so you have to give them acceptable items to chew--willow and apple branches are good. Mine also like egg cartons, tp paper rollers, brown bags and cardboard boxes.
I've given her lots of chew toys. She only sometimes chews on them. She really only likes rubber and plastic. She's a brat.
She has already eaten parts of my bracelets, she seems fine, and that was a few weeks ago.
I'm just annoyed and concerned about her getting into somewhere and chewing.

I was told that if it is super bad you can clip their teeth with a nail clipers... I wouldn't unless you absolutely must. I don't think it should ever be necessary but just in case it is super bad, I don't thing you have to worry though!

You should never cut a rabbits teeth unless instructed by a vet. They may split and cause permanent damage.

Unless her teeth are worse than this never ever clip them. I found this picture online, it made me sad. And it would still be better to take her to the vet like theo said!

Attachments

• b4e82f0bfcabd9ac9d0da5ec451d9c92.jpg
    b4e82f0bfcabd9ac9d0da5ec451d9c92.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 4
Thank you all for your replies!! She was just at the vet a few weeks ago, they said nothing about her teeth. I think it just might be that she really likes chewing, on my bracelets. She never chews on the bars if her cage, and usually only chews on 1 of her toys.
Does anyone else have this happen to them? Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm brand new to bunnies.

No, its ok, when I got my first bunny I wasn't on here so I had a bunch of Q's. It happened with my boy Fizz, now i know he only likes chewing on oak wood... he is super picky. I'm sure she is just picky if she only chews on certain things. Anyways, good luck with finding what she likes!

Maybe she chews on your bracelets because they smell like you. I have realized with dogs if you give them a toy they will ignore it, but if you act like you don't want them to get the toy then they will want it. Try that with your rabbit.

Thank you all for your replies!! She was just at the vet a few weeks ago, they said nothing about her teeth. I think it just might be that she really likes chewing, on my bracelets. She never chews on the bars if her cage, and usually only chews on 1 of her toys.
Does anyone else have this happen to them? Sorry if I sound stupid, I'm brand new to bunnies.
I actually have one boy who likes chewing plastic, he had plastic hides and food bowl previously but I had to remove them all replacing with wood/metal. It is really scary he's 10 months old and he eats lots of hay and he gets lots of chewing toys, cardboard, paper rolls, brown paper bags etc. He is a son of my rabbits and none of them nor his sisters ever did that, but one of his brothers also chewed on plastic when he was 3,5 months, he's not with us he found his new family and happy there but I warned people about his love for plastic.

Yo actually need to protect her by removing all plastic parts from her way she can get GI stasis it is very dangerous so please take it seriously

Back