Chewing away at Hutch!! Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also for chewing and digging and going nuts, a lot of people give phone books. My bun just laid on her phone book and used it like a plate. She never tore a single page. lol

mine ignored the phone books for the longest time, but I left them in their pen anyway, just in case they changed their mind. suddenly, this happened:

DSCF09972_zps3b72706f.jpg

(yes, that did used to be an intact phone book)

I would suggest caution with oak. Oak leaves, acorns, are generally toxic to most pets. I know they are to dogs and birds. Apple is a safer wood for bunnies.

Oak leaves and acorns are bad, but the oak wood is fine. If you make a hutch out of apple (which I don't think you can even purchase??), they're going to gnaw on it continually.

I'm sorry, Maybe I misunderstood. I was suggesting what wood to offer as an alternative, so they had something to chew.

Have you considered getting some plexiglass and using that to line the walls? Then they won't be able to get to the wood at all.

As far as the different levels, it is possible they could jump up. You'd be surprised how high they can jump. Mine readily jump on top of the couch. And if they won't jump up, just put a box or step stool to serve as a "step" that would be halfway between levels and make the hop up both fun and manageable.

Back