Changing food

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kassidylangiano

Reaction score
Hey guys, my bun has been on his baby bunny nuggets for the last four months but now he's turning four months old he's technically an adult... Should I change him to adult nuggets or? And how should I change them? With a mix or just straight up change his food?

My bunnies are 4 and 6 months old, and I still feed them baby food. I wouldn't consider switching to adult food before 6-12 months, since they can still benefit from the bonuses of young rabbit food until then. :)

When you switch, I would always mix. Start with maybe 1:1 and over time reduce the amount of older food, until you're just feeding the new stuff.

IMO I would wait until seven months old when they are considered done growing if it is a smaller breed of bun. For a larger breed then I would wait until one year.

Any new food should be introduced slowly to avoid GI upset including a new pellet. The safest way to switch pellets would be to start out adding just a very small amount of new pellets to the old pellet. Each day slowly add just a little more of the new pellets to the old pellets. At the same time you want to add the same amount less of the old pellet until your bun is eating only new pellets. While transitioning to a new pellet you want to keep an eye for any signs of GI upset such as smaller poops, signs of pain or loss of appetite.

Latest posts

Back