Change in eating habits. Should I be worried?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dempsey

Reaction score
I feed my bunny two salads everyday, one in the morning and one around 8pm.

Her salads typically consist of romaine lettuce (bottom layer), kale (middle layer), cilantro (top layer), and then for garnish some parsley or a little bit of chopped fruit. The romaine makes up most of her salad.

The problem is, she has become extremely picky(?) lately. When I give her her salads, she only eats the parsley/fruit > kale > cilantro, and leaves the romaine to get gross (in my opinion at least)! She eventually eats it, but she waits a really long time. I'm worried because she didn't use to do this when we first got her.

Am i doing something wrong? Could it be that I am giving her too much salad, that she needs to wait a while to eat it all?

I used to give her less salad. But because she runs around the house almost every night (under our supervision of course, and it's bunny proofed before she is allowed out) she has lost weight (she wasn't able to get that type of exercise at the bunny rescue). We started giving her more salad, we didn't want her to go hungry or something because she was burning more calories now. She has her hay, but I'm kind of worried all the time -.-

I know this is really long, sorry guys, but any input is very appreciated.

Last edited:
Right away I noticed something wrong, she needs pellets. In the wild rabbits are able to find their vitamins that they need in the wild in different plants and leaves. I would give her some pellets along with her salad. Otherwise I would keep an eye on her poop. If its diarrhea take her to the vet.

Right away I noticed something wrong, she needs pellets. In the wild rabbits are able to find their vitamins that they need in the wild in different plants and leaves. I would give her some pellets along with her salad. Otherwise I would keep an eye on her poop. If its diarrhea take her to the vet.

She gets heaping 1/8 cup every morning and night :)

How much of her hay is she eating? Thats the most important part. Pellets shouldnt be more then approx 1/4cup per 5lbs body weight per day (could be split lile youre doing) the veggie stuff just sounds like a typical bratty picky bunny ;)
As long as the amount shes eating and pooping isnt decreased.

How much are you giving her exactly? You give her vegetables twice and pellets once a day, if I've read correctly. Do you weight the vegetables? What breed is your bunny? How much does she weights and how old is she? To give you an example, my nethie gets about 10g of pellets and 100g of vegetables (2/3 leaves, 1/3 roots) per day. She hates chard, especially the white part ^^.
You say your bunny lost weight. Was she overweight before?
As long as there is only one thing she doesn't eat, I wouldn't worry too much. You can change it to something else (it's always good to give a diverse diet anyway, as long as you introduce the new vegetables carefully) like chicory or another kind of lettuce to check she just got tired of it. Don't let the lettuce get gross, as it could go bad and give her a stomach ache - whenever it's beginning to get icky (as I'm sure your bunny is trampling all over it, as they all tend to do - one of mine likes to take her vegetables to the litter box before eating them... yuck) I think it's best to remove it.

How much are you giving her exactly? You give her vegetables twice and pellets once a day, if I've read correctly. Do you weight the vegetables? What breed is your bunny? How much does she weights and how old is she? To give you an example, my nethie gets about 10g of pellets and 100g of vegetables (2/3 leaves, 1/3 roots) per day. She hates chard, especially the white part ^^.
You say your bunny lost weight. Was she overweight before?
As long as there is only one thing she doesn't eat, I wouldn't worry too much. You can change it to something else (it's always good to give a diverse diet anyway, as long as you introduce the new vegetables carefully) like chicory or another kind of lettuce to check she just got tired of it. Don't let the lettuce get gross, as it could go bad and give her a stomach ache - whenever it's beginning to get icky (as I'm sure your bunny is trampling all over it, as they all tend to do - one of mine likes to take her vegetables to the litter box before eating them... yuck) I think it's best to remove it.

I am giving her 1/8 cup of timothy pellets, every morning and night (so two times). I think that's roughly 16g. I do not weight her salad, I just fill up her bowl (image attached). My bunny is a holland lop, i believe. I'd say two to three pounds, maybe, i'm not entirely sure. We just adopted her so we haven't taken her to her veterinarian for a check up. We also don't know how old she is because she is a rescue. But she has her dewlap. My bunny also hates chard, as well as dandelion leaves. She loves mint though!

I think she was? I'm not entirely sure. She sure was fatter a couple of months ago compared to how slim she is now. She's really active, so I guess that's it? She has free range of my room (since i practically got rid of all my furniture and belongings because I hate clutter, so it's super safe for her to just be in my room like that), and she wakes the entire house up with her racing. It sounds like a stampede or something! And she does it early in the morning -.-

In the pictures attached, the one were she is being petted is when she was still at the bunny rescue. The others are the most recent. No worries about the christmas tree one, she was supervised the entire time and only allowed there once to explore. She didn't bite anything. You can really see the difference between her dewlap then vs her dewlap now.

It doesn't get gross gross, as in the lettuce doesn't get slimy and yellow or anything, but i wish she didn't wait so long to eat it! Maybe she tired of it though, I could switch back to green leaf lettuce for a while, and try some other lettuces as you suggested.

Your bunny sounds so cute, i cannot believe she does that ^^

thank you so much, by the way.

IMG_0585.jpg

10704268_1713015618924582_913149381443967982_o.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

Back