Caught my young bunny sitting in water yesterday and the day before he would just sit spinning around periodically and died unexpectedly today

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpix

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone may know what may have been the cause? Of if there is any relation? It just stinks not knowing what happened therefor I keep replaying every little thing I have done trying to find something I may have done wrong. He seemed perfectly healthy I checked on him this morning seemed fine and then I checked again at lunch he was gone laying on his side completely wet on the underside which tells me he was in the water again. Face was dry i don't think drowning was the cause

I'm wondering if anyone knows what may have been the cause? It just stinks not knowing what happened therefor I keep replaying every little thing I have done trying to find something I may have done wrong. He seemed perfectly healthy I checked on him this morning seemed fine and then I checked again at lunch he was gone laying on his side completely wet on the underside which tells me he was in the water again.

It could be so many things, I suppose. So sorry for your loss, it must have been a bit of a shock for you!
RIP sweet bunny, over the Rainbow Bridge 🌈❤️

It could be so many things, I suppose. So sorry for your loss, it must have been a bit of a shock for you!
RIP sweet bunny, over the Rainbow Bridge 🌈❤️
Still in shock I know I will never know but a part of me blames myself I keep replaying every detail of the past few days wondering what i couldve done i shouldve probably removed tye water bowl but it was fairly shallow not very deep whatsoever
Finding answers online would absolve me from this torture I am putting myself through. Thanks for the kind words

Was he still eating normally, any changes in eating, drinking, and pooping in the last few weeks? Are the only abnormalities the sitting in the water and the periodic spinning in the last 2 days? Any signs of bloody discharge?

Was he still eating normally, any changes in eating, drinking, and pooping in the last few weeks? Are the only abnormalities the sitting in the water and the periodic spinning in the last 2 days? Any signs of bloody discharge?
Yes he seemed to be fine until recently I noticed the water would be gone almost immediately after filling I set up a camera and that's when I noticed he was sitting in the water to the point where his front hands would shake and so I dried him off and didn't think much of it bit thats when I first did some searching and the two other similar instances to mine they both died unexpectedly too and the next thing you know the very next day I found him laying on his side completely wet as if he was in the water. I unfortunately had removed cams at this point so couldn't see exactly what transpired.

I barely had him for a week and was about a month old.
Unfortunately any number of things could have caused his death. Most likely it was the age. Generally rabbits should not be separated from their momma until 8 weeks of age. In fact, in many places it is illegal to sell a rabbit less than 8 weeks of age. 4 weeks (or 3) is just too young.
If you purchased him from someone or from some store, I would not trust that seller for any future rabbits.
If you have hopes of getting another rabbit some time, I'd suggest looking at the following website for ideas.
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/choosing-your-first-bunny.html

The young age could have had something to do with it, or it's possible that it had a preexisting health condition. Hydrocephalus from vitamin A toxicity/deficiency during gestation, can cause litters of baby rabbits to die unexpectedly, usually before 4 weeks of age. Circling is a common symptom. If the siblings from the litter also passed away, this is what I would suspect.

Circling is a sign of a neurological condition, or can be due to severe head pain. Your rabbit sitting it the water bowl or putting paws in the water bowl, is something that some rabbits will do when feeling extremely unwell, and is sometimes an indication of a very serious medical problem. If it's unknown about the siblings, or if no others have passed away, other causes for circling and sudden death are e cuniculi, head trauma, ear infection, toxoplasmosis, herpes simplex virus (human cold sores), raccoon roundworm.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Veterinary_emergencies
I'm very sorry for your loss 🐇 🌈

I want to express my condolences also. Sadness. Empathy always for these vulnerable pets who pass away without ever experiencing the TLC we can give. Yes, we replay what would have caused their deaths?

I understand the "shoulda, woulda, coulda's".

Ditto what @Nancy McClelland typed; talking with reputable rescues and knowledgeable persons at shelters can avoid some of the heartbreaking things that happen. Also, necropsies. A rabbit-savvy DVM is essential.

On Facebook rescue forum pages, an abandoned bun was captured by kind humans and he had a horrific flea infestation. It sounds like certain regions of the country have a tremendous amount of dumped and discarded rabbits.

----------------------

Any chance your youngster was consuming bedding containing baking soda? Our 7 month-old Flemish boy (Jackson's) lungs were "fried" and he had less than 1/4 normal lung function upon necropsy. He would drink a lot of water.

Another one of our rescues had a tumor burst.

Latest posts

Back