Cats and Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ursula

Karen
Reaction score
Has anyone else tried raising a kitten and young bun at the same time? I cannot stop getting the kitten to attack my Ursula. I know she's just playing, but I don't want the cat to hurt her. Ursula is so docile. She just lays there and takes it. Is there any tips or pointers on maybe getting the kitten to be nicer? Or is this just something I gotta wait out till they're older?

I think it might be harder with a kitten, they're so playful and they can give nasty little scratches.

Last edited:
Yeah, it might be harder with kittens. I've seen them, they are really playful. Still, I know a member who has a rabbit that had to have its eye removed because a cat scratched its eye.

maybe you could get those plastic caps that are glued to kittens nails?? they would protect against any scratches?? I think their called soft paws??? You can also hiss at the kitten and grab it by the scruff it's neck if the kittens getting to rough. that's what the mama would do?? best wishes!!

It is worth noting that it is not a matter of the kitten being "mean" or "nice" and it is not doing anything wrong. It is merely being a kitten. Depending on its age and how early it was taken from its mother and siblings, it could be a bit rougher simply because of its stage in development or because it was not left with its siblings long enough to learn bite/scratch inhibition. If that is the case, you'll need to work with it on not using claws when it plays and on mouthing instead of biting.

That said, I would definitely keep them apart while kitty is in this phase. All kittens go through stages where they must. hunt. every. single. thing. The best thing to do is provide appropriate "prey" and to wear the kitten down with lots of playtime chasing the bird (i.e., a feather toy) or whatever else it likes. It's the same as having a kitten and puppy together; you want to separate the rougher one and make sure you monitor them while they are together. Good luck! I'm sure they're quite a handful! :)

Keep us updated on what happens with your kitten and bunny- I'm really curious to find out how their relationship developes as they get older. I know I've had kittens so crazy I had to hide my feet from them at all times- or make sure I wore shoes around them. Kittens are crazy.

Yes, what Minerva said. Run the kitten ragged playing with it yourself. When it's tuckered out and ready for a snooze, bunny can be around, but not when it's in crazy cat play mode.

Back