Catching a stray rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revverress

Reaction score
A little black Nethie mix has been hanging around the neighborhood since early this morning. We have so many neighborhood outdoor cats, plus my house is near a fairly busy road, so you can imagine I'm worried about the little guy. :nerves1

I put out a cat carrier with the door open and stuffed it with hay, apples, romaine lettuce, and a little bit of alphalpha based pellets [my buns go crazy over that stuff]. I asked my neighbors this morning to please keep their kitties in until I can catch the bun- They grudgingly complied to keep one in, but I doubt that'll last. My mom is going to call Animal Control tomorrow while I'm at school to see if they have a trap we could borrow.

Is there anything else I can do? Because honestly, running around barefoot and in my pajamas after this crazy rabbit doesn't seem to be working.

Holly

Hi I've read on here if you put some of your rabbit poops around the cage and in it, that attracts them.

Good Luck I hope you catch the little one.

Susan:)

I called Animal Control... The only traps they have are for opossums, and they can't guarantee those wouldn't harm a rabbit. Also, if I were to use their traps, they'd have to come pick up the bunny themselves, I couldn't try to rehome it myself. Since our Animal Control here doesn't do any work with rabbits, they'd most likely either put it down or release it again. :grumpy:

So... any other ideas? I haven't see the bunny all day, and the neighbor's cat is out again, so I'm hoping the rabbit is still ok.

Holly

Next time you see her, take your rabbit and some food((hay, greens, carrots)) and go sit outside. Bunnies are naturally curious, and it may((or may not)) try to come see whats going on.
However, it depends on the bunny for if it will even get it's attention and how close he/she may come to you.

I hope you can catch him/her safely.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Unfortunately, I haven't seen the rabbit in about 24 hours, and the neighbor's cat has been out since early this morning. The veggies and fruit I sat out are also untouched. I'll keep leaving food out and hoping for the best, though.

Holly

Actually, yes. It's been hanging out in the wooded area next to my house, right by the "dump" pile where I dump all the buns' litter boxes. I think he/she has been eating some of the leftover hay from the pile... poor thing. I got it to take a little nibble of apple from my hand last night before it bolted away. Anyway, I set up a very small cage filled with hay, a little tub of water, some pellets, and some apples by the pile. It's going to get cold this next week, so I'm hoping the rabbit will want to huddle in the hay to keep warm.

So long as it's in the woods safe from cars and the neighborhood kitties, I'm not too worried. I'm hoping to call around places asking about traps later today.

Holly

If you can get it to get that close to you, you might be able to use a large fishing net, the ones with handles on them. The bunny wouldn't like it much, but at least he would be safe and warm once you caught him.

Great news to hear that it actually took a bite from your hand.
Obviously s/he's had some human contact before, especially since it is a domestic bun. His/her owners probably released him into the wild :(

Good luck with catching him/her!

Emily

Just to update everyone- I managed to catch her a little bit ago. :) I'll be putting up found bunny signs before I start looking at rehoming option.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Holly

She's incredibly stressed right now, and I want to give her a day or two to chill before I go taking her out for pictures. ;) I can assure you, however, that she's very cute.

Holly

Just read through this whole thread, well done you for not giving up when you didn't see her for a while and well done for catching her!!
Is she definelty a her or are we just called 'her' that for now? :D

Latest posts

Back