Cat Using Rabbit Litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jurisfiction

Reaction score
My cats and rabbit are very comfortable with each other now. They hang out, sit next to each other sometimes, and now I caught my cat using the rabbit litter. The cat litter is downstairs. The rabbit lives in two rooms upstairs. I guess the cat didn't feel like walking all the way down the steps? Is this a problem? Like- cleanliness, or germs or making the rabbit use his own litter box? I'm not even sure this isn't the first time, maybe the first time I caught her at it.

What do you use as litter? Is there a layer of hay on top - I'm not sure if cats would like that.

I use oxbow pellets.
Sometimes sophresh pellets. Topped with hay. I thought the cats wouldn’t like that either. I mean, they aren’t farm cats.

The main risk would be toxoplasmosis. So I would either have a stool sample from your cat tested to make sure it's not an issue, or try and find a way to prevent your cat from using the litter box (not sure how if hay on the litter isn't a deterrent). I know someone who had a cat and rabbit living together, and the rabbit did contract it, multiple times. Luckily the vet treated it with the appropriate meds and the rabbit recovered each time and lived to be an old bun. But it is something to be very aware of and try and take the appropriate precautions, as much as is reasonably possible.

https://wabbitwiki.com/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

Back