Cat and bunnies??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 3 year old calico cat and she is really good with our dogs and our bird. But I was wondering do you think she would be ok with my cat? I go to school from 8 to around 4 I get back and the rabbit would be in its big cage alone with my cat. Any suggestions on how to make sure she doesn't hurt my bunny w he. I get it??

I assume you mean the rabbit will be in the cage but not the cat. o_O
Can you post a photo of your rabbit's cage?
Ya sorry[emoji23]. I don't have it yet but it will the cub grids. It will be like an 4×5 And 2 goes high

I know there are members on here who have had no problem with their cats and rabbits getting along. Perhaps they will see this post and say how they introduced them. Some even snuggle together.

If you have an enclosed cage, that should be good to keep bunny safe. It depends on how persistent a cat may be in reaching through the openings of the cage and whether bunny is smart enough to back away if needed. I have no experience with this myself.

As for your cube grid cage, I would suggest making it no more than 2 grids from front to back. The width can be as wide as you like. The reason I'd suggest no deeper (front to back) than 2 grids is because if you go deeper, it will be difficult or impossible to reach all the way back for cleaning. Your arm will only reach so far!!;)

If you intend to have an upper level, you may want to consider having it go 3 grids high though. This allows for more areas of overhead space. It's good for a good portion of the cage to have 20-24" of overhead room so bunny can fully stretch up on hind legs without bumping the ceiling. --just some thoughts while you plan.

I know there are members on here who have had no problem with their cats and rabbits getting along. Perhaps they will see this post and say how they introduced them. Some even snuggle together.

If you have an enclosed cage, that should be good to keep bunny safe. It depends on how persistent a cat may be in reaching through the openings of the cage and whether bunny is smart enough to back away if needed. I have no experience with this myself.

As for your cube grid cage, I would suggest making it no more than 2 grids from front to back. The width can be as wide as you like. The reason I'd suggest no deeper (front to back) than 2 grids is because if you go deeper, it will be difficult or impossible to reach all the way back for cleaning. Your arm will only reach so far!!;)

If you intend to have an upper level, you may want to consider having it go 3 grids high though. This allows for more areas of overhead space. It's good for a good portion of the cage to have 20-24" of overhead room so bunny can fully stretch up on hind legs without bumping the ceiling. --just some thoughts while you plan.
Thank you so much

My rabbits get along perfectly with one of my cats, but not so good with the other. The other cat is 15 yrs old and sometimes when the bunnies get close she scratches at them. They have learned to avoid her though, and she avoids them too. I guess it is the cat's personal preference. Try testing and see how the cat does with the bunny under a watchful eye.

I recall a post awhile back about the danger of a rabbit getting scratched from a cat where it breaks the skin. It can cause serious infection and might've resulted in the rabbit's death. But don't know if this was just one of those very rare instances or not. If I can't find that post, maybe Jenny (our health moderator) will remember.

Latest posts

Back