Castration

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kassidylangiano

Reaction score
Had my boy fixed today and he needs to wear a cone, iv tried everything to make it easier for him to eat and drink but he's not wanting to munch as much since he's been home, is this due to the drugs still in his body or?

He hasn't pooped or peed since being home but iv helped him drink and eat some hay. Should I be worring this soon? He's been home for almost three hours... He isn't happy with the cone but needs it as he keeps chewing his wound...

I don't know if there is anything I should be doing to help him or? I'm
Not having him out for the next three days until his check up so he can't jump around much to his dismay.

I noticed he has poo all over his legs and not his bum which means he was sitting his poo that they normally take straight from the anus... Should I be worried he's not able to eat them straight away? The vets have said he need to wear the cone until Friday when he goes for his check up. I feel evil leaving it on him with the way he is struggling to clean himself. But I can't clean him as his wound is going to be sore..

Is there another reason why you are using the cone? Did he try to mess with his stiches? If the only reason why you have a cone is because he got neutered, I would take the cone off immediately. It causes way too much stress and they are not able to eat their cecotropes. That is very harmful for the bunny and it is important for them to be able to access it. Neuter recovery can be very quick, but only if they are start eating right away. I'm suprised your vet sent him home with a cone because that is not at all a common practice for rabbits. I have gone through 4 de-sexes and have never been offered a cone. Take the cone off and watch him to make sure he doesn't try to mess with his stiches.

He does mess with his wound a lot, which is why he needs the cone. I just want what's best for him... I am so worried about going to work today all day... Is there any reason I should be worried?

Take the cone off for a few minutes so he can clean himself. Watch him to make sure he doesn't pull at his stitches.

If not, boil some water to sterilise it, and when it cools give him a very very gentle butt bath. I would not let him have poop all over himself like that, it could lead to infection at the wound site.

I did a but bath on him this morning. I'm at work now and am so jittery worrying about him. I'm going home only lunch break to check on him... He's so unhappy :( he's a real pain to put the cone back on so I'm worried if I get it off I won't be able to put it back on and he will chew at his wound and make it worse....

I feel so helpless I just need him
To be okay. He has a check up on Friday and hopefully can have his come off then.. :( can I still give him treats even on his medication for pain? Or will it upset his belly?

Latest posts

Back