Carrot has diarrhea!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This morning I saw she ate and pooped a little more, 'cause the antibiotic course was interrupted, so it's not bothering her that much anymore. A pic of her litter tray (why I freaked out because of the urine color):

1taluli-7573.jpg

* those are all the droppings she's made since yesterday

The urine color looks normal, the urine can range from a pale yellow, to a dark orangey-red to a dark brownish red. The Red urine is caused by pigments in food, carrots and spinach can make the urine look more red.

Right now I would try to entice her to eat more, I know my kits I'm growing out produce that much poop in a minute when I let them run around inside and it's always a pain to clean up their entire mess lol :pullhair:
Make sure your not feeding carrot her regular amount of pellets( I believe I read she was given pellets) Right now give her unlimited hay, lots of rolled oats (this helps during the time period a rabbit has diarrhea and it helps after they are recovering from it) and slowly start introducing her back to her pellets, you don't want to have her losing weight so its better to give her more treats, to have her eating than to only feed her the 'healthy' stuff and have her lose weight.
I would feed veggies just be careful with my rabbits I know it upsets there stomachs and actually causes diarrhea hence why I do not feed my rabbits veggies.
**Lots of water is key. Make sure there is always a fresh water source available for your bun, you want to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated.

She has lots of water available, she refuses to eat hay and hasn't eaten pellets since before the diarrhea started. I haven't given carrot for days either. All she's been eating is escarole, cilantro and celery. Sometimes it's hard to make her eat.. she wants broccoli leaves, but those will give her more of a stomachache so I'm not giving.

She has lots of water available, she refuses to eat hay and hasn't eaten pellets since before the diarrhea started. I haven't given carrot for days either. All she's been eating is escarole, cilantro and celery. Sometimes it's hard to make her eat.. she wants broccoli leaves, but those will give her more of a stomachache so I'm not giving.

Alright thats good, like I stated before pellets aren't really good for her at this time they are very rich, and a rabbit gets a lot of nutrients from the pellets. It might be too much for her. Try to give her more treats (ones you know wont upset her stomach) Try cheerios and put that in her food dish, the rolled oats my rabbits picture as a treat not something that could potentially save their lives. I know my rabbits adore mint and parsley. I feed them a mint conditioner and that is higher in fat (hence why its only a treat) but you can't purchase that in any store you have to go to a cage dealer. Maybe you could put her hay in a toy I have some rabbits that refuse to eat hay unless its in a toy and they are very healthy rabbits (just stubborn)
My vet also recommended feeding vanilla pediasure to one of my rabbits that wasn't eating and was loosing weight rapidly. I had to syringe feed it but I saved the rabbits life, as he started moving around more, he started gaining weight again and he began to go to the bathroom regularly. I also keep that on hand for my rabbits. Do you know if she is drinking the water? If not maybe you could offer it on your fingers. A rabbit recovering from something needs water the most.

Also make sure to watch her, when there immune system weakens a parasite that all rabbits are born with can attack the kidneys and work its way up to the brain, put cyst on the brain and cause wry neck, that happen to me, thats when I had to get the vanilla pediasure, the poor rabbit couldnt even move he could only lie down in one spot. (Benny is doing great today and has recovered tremendously we are going to be taking him in for his final check up soon!)

The reason Benny got wry neck is because his immune system was weakened when he got bloat from being weaned from his mother (too much stress for him) Thats why I'm kind of warning you to keep an eye out for that because I almost lost my Benny Boy (Now we are keeping him as a pet because my dad thinks he is a funny bunny, because the wry neck affected his balance and now he runs in circles when he is excited, it is very cute to watch)

Good luck with Carrot! Keep us updated on how she is doing!

Carrot won't eat hay in any way.. we don't have cheerios (are they crackers?) or pediasure here.
Again, I called the vet (and this is the GOOD vet, best I've ever found) and he said he'd come today but hasn't yet shown up. It's 9:10 p.m. I can't even take a shower thinking maybe he'll come right when I'm there.
Carrot has been ok, eating veggies. I cut some yellow pimentos for myself and she smelled my fingers and wanted to bite them, got crazy about it! I gave her some small pieces of raw pimentos and she liked them. Is it ok to give more??? I didn't even know bunnies could eat them. She wants broccoli leaves too but they'll bloat her.. :(

I don't know how to really "keep an eye" on Carrot if no vet can ask for exams to diagnose, or to treat her right. She seems to be doing good today, I'm glad, but at this point I believe maybe prayers are what's keeping her going so well.
Thank you all for your support and prayers!

She seems to be doing well enough right now. Her poop is looking more normal and she's wanting to eat some. She may have managed to pull through it, and is hopefully recovering now. If the vet doesn't show up tonight, I don't know what good it is going to do to continue antibiotics, as stopping and starting them isn't really helpful at all. You may just want to focus on getting her eating back to normal. Is she eating pellets on her own at all? Though hay would be the best thing, there's only so much you can do when she won't eat it.

One thing, you may not want to vary her veggies too much right now. Better to feed her more of just a few select veggies that she seems to be tolerating well. Then when she is feeling better you can gradually add in other veggies one at a time and starting with a small amount at first, keeping an eye out for it causing any soft poop or digestive upset. If it doesn't after a few days, then you can gradually start increasing the amounts, and then try a new veggie after several days of her doing well with the first veggie. But for now you don't want to be introducing anything new while she is having digestive problems, especially anything with extra sugars and carbs. Definitely avoid anything sugary or starchy for a while. Pediasure would add a lot of sugar into an already ill rabbit, not to mention that it also has dairy which rabbits can't digest. It's not something I would recommend giving to her. If you are giving her that probiotic, it already has added vitamins and nutrients in it.

I'm really glad to see that she has hung in there and appears to be on the mend. You've done such a great thing trying to help these little rabbits.

Last edited:
Rabbits can have PEDIALYTE which is an electrolyte drink for children. The fruit flavors do have some sugar in it but it has never caused issues with my rabbits. Pedialyte is a clear liquid which has no dairy

YOU GOT NO IDEA WHAT HAPPENED - SHE'S HAD BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!! THEY'RE FINE, SHE IS TOO! Pooping and eating and - lots of issues with people here, and I mean LOTS of issues because of that... but if you ask ME, THIS IS THE HAPPIEST AND THE MOST BLESSED DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!
LONG LIFE TO CARROT AND THE BABIES!!!!!!!!!!!

She's eating like a lion, ate everything I bought for her already! Even carrot tops again, but not pellets yet. I didn't give that probiotic yet, I guess it's a good idea to give it now?

What! I am so glad carrot is ok, I think we would all like to see some pictures :biggrin2: hey grandma, really pleased its all worked out ok,

THANK YOU! At this point I ask myself if that was the blood in the urine and droppings.. if she actually is sick or not.. there's evidence saying yes, but I'd like to think she isn't! :pray:
She's drunk lots of water I gave to her with a syringe :bunnynurse:
Question - is it normal for a bunny to "abandon" the nest? I mean, she's stayed in her "bathroom" 'cause she was bleeding, after that she went to her usual place, not to the nest.. I'd think she'd want to stay with the babies? I can go really close to the nest and she won't even care! I thought that'd make her go there and check the babies out.
By the way, the babies are alreasy "walking"!!! I saw some movement, one almost came out of the fur!!! :O I hope he/she doesn't, he/she might fall from the cage (transport box).
I even heard them making noises!!! AWWWWW
OMG THIS IS MAGICAL!!!

Congratulations!!! I bet that was quite the surprise. A good one too.

She definitely was sick. Just the diarrhea alone indicates that there was something wrong, even if there was no blood in the urine or feces. But since there isn't any more diarrhea, she may be fine now. A lot of what indicates something is wrong with a rabbit and that it may be sick, is if it's behavior changes, eating changes, and the state of it's droppings. How is she acting now? Is her behavior normal? So is she only eating veggies now? Is there any particular reason she isn't eating pellets, or is she being offered them and just won't eat them? Now that she has babies she's really going to need that extra nutrition from the pellets. Usually after they've had babies, you want to gradually start increasing their pellet amount, so that in couple of weeks you are feeding close to 3 times the normal amount. So if she is choosing not to eat pellets I'm really wondering why. You can't make up for no pellets or hay in the diet, just by feeding veggies. Eating both things with the veggies, would be the best thing for her, but she at least needs to be eating one of those things, preferably at least some pellets now that she has the babies.

Mom rabbits don't hang out in the nest or with their babies. Usually all they do is, once or twice a day, usually in the early morning or late evening, they will hop in the nest box and feed them, then leave them alone the rest of the time. They can be really squirmy and scoot around pretty good even though they can't see yet, so it's a good idea to have the nest in some sort of nest box. A cardboard box or small bin of some kind will work with sides high enough to keep babies in, but low enough for mom to hop in. You want a little hollow towards the back that the babies nestle into and a pile of moms fur they can dig down into when they are cold. You just want it big enough for mom to hop in to feed with out stepping on the babies, but small enough that the babies stay pretty nestled together and don't squirm away and get separated and cold. You also want to look in the nest and check for any dead babies, and pick up the babies each day and check them over. You want to check their bellies for fat tummies and a little white spot that is the milk and shows that mom is feeding them. She may not feed them until tonight or the morning.

At around 11 days old they will start opening their eyes, then not long after, start venturing out of the nest box. Once that happens, you can remove the next box, or clean it out and turn it on its side and put a clean pile of hay for them to snuggle on.

Lots of luck with mom and the babies! I'm sure you'll love the experience. Little baby bunnies are so much fun to help raise :)

Last edited:
Thank you for the info. Carrot (aka Thalulah) has been at her usual place, I'm relieved to know that's normal. I could hear the babies last night, they made some noise, and one was even "walking", I could almost see him/her in the middle of all the fur, wanted to come out!! haha.
Carrot made her nest inside a cage (transport box), so the babies are kept warm and together.

I've heard our scent might make the mother abandon the babies, so I'm not sure I should put my hand inside the transport box (nest) to check them. Isn't it better to let her do the job checking them (?) What if I cause her to abandon them 'cause I touched them, or my scent is there somehow? And it'll be really hard to see them, they're at the bottom of the box. But I'll follow your advice, if you think I should do it, I will.

Carrot seems drained, she passed LOTS of blood. I offered pellets yesterday (I figured she'd need them) she didn't want them, she hasn't wanted them or hay since she got sick.
I figure that probiotic with vitamins can be helpful now, but I'm afraid of how much to give. Would you have any guesses? I'm SO afraid of making a mistake...!

I am also shocked that she gave birth . The pregnancy was not normal as these issues do not occur in a normal pregnancy ..passing a lot of blood is not normal . Did she eat the placentas?

I would not give her the probiotic that you bought as I know nothing about it and it seems more like a vitamin supplement than a probiotic. You want a probiotic with the microorganism lactobacillus casei included.
I am hoping that you can get some help from the folks who have had newborn litters to care for and if you don't get it here I will move the thread to the Rabbitry or try to have it going in both forums.

It is fine to handle the babies .

http://www.rabbit.org/care/babies.html

I believe that there is so much going on here it is actually difficult for us to help you with clear and definite directions . I guess that we are all doing the best that we can :pray:

Thank you for the info. Carrot (aka Thalulah) has been at her usual place, I'm relieved to know that's normal. I could hear the babies last night, they made some noise, and one was even "walking", I could almost see him/her in the middle of all the fur, wanted to come out!! haha.
Carrot made her nest inside a cage (transport box), so the babies are kept warm and together.

I've heard our scent might make the mother abandon the babies, so I'm not sure I should put my hand inside the transport box (nest) to check them. Isn't it better to let her do the job checking them (?) What if I cause her to abandon them 'cause I touched them, or my scent is there somehow? And it'll be really hard to see them, they're at the bottom of the box. But I'll follow your advice, if you think I should do it, I will.

Carrot seems drained, she passed LOTS of blood. I offered pellets yesterday (I figured she'd need them) she didn't want them, she hasn't wanted them or hay since she got sick.
I figure that probiotic with vitamins can be helpful now, but I'm afraid of how much to give. Would you have any guesses? I'm SO afraid of making a mistake...!

Nope the mother rabbit won't mind if you touch them(thats birds). I handle my kits from the time they are 15 minutes old to the time they are 8 weeks old going to their new home. I like my rabbits to personable and loving. I do not breed mean or skittish rabbits into my herd , especially with a doe, because I feel like the temperaments pass from the parents, and especially the mother!

What I do is I take a basket and I put a towel on the bottom and I put that to the side. then I pet the mother letting her know its ok and I'm not going to hurt her babies she may get in your face about what your doing but thats ok. Then i like to take the fur off the top and put the kits in the basket. This is a good way to make sure there are no dead kits in the nestbox, if there is a dead kit it will be cold and this can make the other kits cold. For the first 2 weeks(or until they open there eyes which will happen around 10-14 days) I keep them in the basket a keep them away from mom for 5-30 minutes (with the newborns handle them less they are going to be drained of energy. Once they open there eyes I convert my carrier to a laundry basket with a sheet and maybe a towel in it, thats how I carry them up to 6 weeks when they are ready to be weaned and put in the new cages. When weaning make sure you know the sex of the kits. For the first week I put 2 doe's together and 2 bucks together. If you have an uneven amount of kits I put two together in a separate cage and the last one stay with mom a little longer and then is fully weaned. Make sure to watch them in this stage they can get depressed from being taken away from their momma.(keep and extra eye on the ones that are super attached to mom)

Also make sure you get rid of any dead kits. In one of my litters I missed a dead kit and the mother rabbit smelt it and dug it out of her box taking some of her alive kits with it. Lucky it was before we got or A/C in and the barn was warm. We were very lucky that we were able to save the litter most kits that are out of the nestbox get chilled and will die fairly quickly if its cold enough.

With carrot it is important to let her settle down. Think of a human giving birth, it takes a lot out of them including their appetite. Slowly start introducing the feed back, eventually your going to want to give her a big bowl full of pellets because the babies will be eating them in addition to carrot. No veggies for the babies this Will make the babies sick they really shouldn't have any veggies or treats under the age of 6 months. Treats that are ok, are cheerios and rolled oats(very little maybe a tablespoon). No yoggies, or apples, that can make them sick and get diarrhea.

Also did Carrot eat the placenta? If she ate it, the placenta gives extra nutrients in the milk that are really important. If she didn't the babies just won't get the extra nutrients. I Have had 1-2 doe's that don't eat there placenta and they have raised a litter of 5 with no problems.

You really shouldnt give her any medicine, the medicine will go right into her milk which will give the kits the medication. I would not recommend giving it to them.

Goodluck! Raising kits are tons of fun. Its a joy to see them from the time they look like tiny pigs to the time they are ready to go to their new homes! (It's even better when you get updates on how the bun is doing it makes your whole day! ) If you have anymore questions feel free to ask, I will try to answer them to the best of my ability or I will ask some of my breeder friends and I will get back to you! :)

Last edited:
Oh the nestbox should stay in until they are 2-3weeks old. Make sure the box they are in is something solid. Another important thing to check into is the floor you want a cushiony surface on the bottom on the box. I was told by multiple people that being on a hard surface as a baby can cause cow hocks, which is when the feet aren't parallel to each other it means they turn out, it cause from being on a hard surface for so long while they were developing.

I would syringe feed her liquidised pellets and luke warm water to keep her hydrated and if she will eat it offer her hay I would take away all her veg and until you get her gut back on track just feed her hay and limited pellets once she is eating.The veg could be causing the diarhoea especially if she is under six months of age look up barbi browns rabbitry for diarhoea for immediate information she is really good. good luck hope she is ok. Then I would leave it a couple of weeks and if you want to feed her veg only feed one veg at a time and in small quantities to make sure it does not give her diarohea. and if thats ok add another a bit at a time but for the time being I would only feed hay and pellets.

Latest posts

Back