Carrot has diarrhea!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take her to a vet and don't feed her carrots for a while, they're high in sugar and could be what is causing the diahorrea but then there might be other reasons for it and a visit to the vet should be able to explain what is causing it. You may do well in replacing the cabbage and broccoli leaves with curly kale and fresh herbs for a while since they can cause GI problems if fed in too large quantities, and if she's passing diahorrea then it's probably best not to fed her those for a while until she's recovered. Are you feeding her normal hay or alfalfa?

Last edited:
I'd stay away from all veggies for now. Dehydrated veggies is kinda weird. Usually bunnies need the water in the veggies. I am not sure if the coccidia issue has been addressed? Did the vet look at the feces for coccida eggs?

Yes, the vet said it's probably coccidiosis, the antibiotic was given as an injection. Isn't it good for treating it? :( If you think so, I can stop that and do something else myself, I'll do whatever you tell me to.

Carrot has made a few more droppings, they seem very dry. This morning I also saw brown footprints in her area, which are a mystery since her droppings seem dry - (?????)

I've been giving only carrot tops, broccoli and cauliflower leaves, but she refuses to eat carrot tops too now. I also got bok choy, spinach, romaine lettuce, cabbage and beetroot leaves here - mostly cruciferous :( - let me know if any of those would work. If you let me know what other types of veggies I can give (besides the ones you mentioned), I'll buy them. The vet said lettuce will give her a stomachache.. can I give it to her?

She's not yet on probiotics, I have a problem finding it, as well as hay. Probiotics here usually have lactose. If I can give some that has lactose, I think I can find it..

Just in case - No, the vet didn't make any tests to know what she has, didn't look at any feces, so he didn't look for coccidia eggs. He just said he guessed so when I mentioned it. Vets (or even doctors) here hardly ever ask for tests or exams.

He just gave her a shot of ampicillin and will come back every day to give her more of these shots. If you think that's not the right procedure for treating coccidiosis, let me know and I'll change the treatment myself, like I did to MILU when other vets made mistakes that almost killed him...

Hay is hard to find here, so I'm not feeding her hay. We don't have curly kale as well. I'll get alfafa for her.

I've found this listed on a pet store for probiotics, do you think it can be used (having in mind there's nothing specific for rabbits here)?

"Organew
To be taken orally, added to the food.

Dogs: 2.5 g per 10 kg of body weight once a day.
Cats: 1 g once daily.
Poultry: 1-2 g per kg feed.
Indication: Dogs, Cats, Birds
Breed: All
Brand: Vetnil
Type: Pharmaceutical
Composition: Crude Protein (min) ............................ 202.10 g
Ether extract (min) ........................... 3,500 mg
Fibrous matter (max) ........................... 41.60 g
Mineral matter (max) ........................... 72.30 g
Moisture (max) ..................................... 79.40 g
Saccharomyces cerevisiae 9 x 109 CFU ...............
MOS ....................... 1.000 mg
Fructo-oligosaccharides ........................ 2,000 mg
Vitamin B1 (min) ................................ 6.75 mg
Vitamin B2 (min) ................................... 19 mg
Vitamin B6 (min) ............................. 13,468 mg
Vitamin B12 (min) ................................ 24 mcg
Biotin (min) ......................................... 2.8 mg
Folic Acid (min) ................................... 10 mg
Inositol (min) ..................................... 1,200 mg
Choline (min) ......................................... 774 mg
Nicotinic Acid (min) ......................... 20.30 mg
Lysine (min) .......................................... 17.72 g
Histidine (min) ................................... 4,520 mg
Arginine (min) .................................... 6,920 mg
Aspartic Acid (min) ............................ 17.24 g
Threonine (min) ................................... 9,880 mg
Serine (min) ...................................... 6,920 mg
Ác. Glutamic (min) ................................ 19.04 g
Proline (min) ...................................... 6,040 mg
Glycine (min) ...................................... 7,160 mg
Alanine (min) ........................................ 10.84 g
Cystine (min) ...................................... 1,280 mg
Valine (min) ....................................... 9,120 mg
Methionine (min) .................................. 7,240 mg
Isoleucine (min) .................................. 7,680 mg
Leucine (min) ........................................ 12.08 g
Tyrosine (min) ..................................... 3,760 mg
Phenylalanine (min) ............................... 8,520 mg
Tryptophan (min) ................................. 1,800 mg
Size: 100gr"

That's a nice story Jemm, but even if I ordered something, it'd take at least 1 or 2 months for it to get here, passing through customs takes long... :(

You should probably avoid the cruciferous veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, cabbage, and maybe the beetroot leaves also. Maybe the dark green leafy part of romaine would be ok The light colored part of lettuce and iceburg lettuce, is what can give a rabbit a stomach ache and cause diarrhea, but usually the dark green stuff is ok for them. Cilantro and parsley also are usually well tolerated by rabbits too. Is there any way you can even get a small bag of grass hay? Hay really is the best thing for rabbits, especially when they are having digestive problems. I guess if you can't then just do the best with what you have.

Ampicillin isn't going to do anything for coccidiosis, which is a parasite and not a bacteria. Only very specific medications are going to be effective against the parasite. Only the ones I listed are going to do anything to get it under control if this is what she has. If there is something like e. coli causing the diarrhea, then the ampicillin would help, just not if it's cocci. Could you ask this vet if maybe he has one of the medications that I listed above? The ponzuril or toltrazuril may be difficult to find, but one of the sulfa meds should be easy as they are a pretty common antibiotic, and the only antibiotics effective against coccidiosis.

You can use a probiotic used for cats and dogs. I don't think I would use that one as it has all those added vitamins which you don't need, but something like that that just has the probiotic part would be good.

Oh shoot, I already bought that probiotic.. is it bad for bunnies? I still didn't give it, but it's what I have now...

I bought escarole, cilantro, celery and arugula. She ate a little bit of each, but not much at all. I took some grass from a garden but she doesn't want it. I got alfalfa hay but she refuses to eat it too :(

I also bought some simethicone, do you think it can help her bloating? If so, how much should I give?

Do you suggest I ask the vet to stop his shots and introduce the ones you mentioned or finish his? (it seems like if you discontinue antibiotics they'll mess everything up?)

Thanks again

Take her off any pellets, feed her rolled oats, lots of hay try to tempt her with things like parsley, basil and any other treats that she absolutely loves? An orange color in the urine is normal it varies for each rabbit depending on the diet. The diarrhea is very serious if its not gone within 24hrs take her to the vet. I had a rabbit that we took in, we were lucky we did the vet said if we hadnt brought her in when we did she would have died.

I don't know about the vitamin amounts in that probiotic, so it's up to you whether or not you want to try it, but if you do, it would probably be good to start out with a very tiny amount.

The problem with continuing with that antibiotic and not immediately changing to one that can treat coccidiosis, is that if she does in fact have coccidiosis, the ampicillin will have no effect in helping her get better. So you are really giving the medication for no reason, and in the meantime the parasite is continuing to cause damage. But this is if she does in fact have coccidiosis. Without a fecal test, there's no way to know for sure. But if she does have it and the correct treatment isn't given immediately, it's likely she won't survive. It's really up to you to decide what might be the best thing to do. I can only offer suggestions based on my experience, and that's just from what I've read and from having my own rabbits.

If she seems to have a little bloating or firm belly from gas, the simethicone may help, but more important is getting her the correct medicine for what is wrong with her.

Since she's not eating very much, you may also need to be syringe or spoon feeding her.

I think she doesn't have diarrhea anymore. Her urine looks ok (I've been giving lots of water!)

Now I know the probiotic I got isn't ideal but I wonder if I can give it or not.. I saw some other ones online and they have vitamins too. I guess all do.

I'd totally switch her treatment RIGHT NOW and follow your advice, but sometimes vets aren't willing to do it. It's happened to my other bunny.

I have to talk to the vet.. yesterday he said I could call and he'd come here. I called like 2 hours ago, left messages but he didn't call back. I'm only here for 1 more hour, then work again and only come back at 10:30 pm, so I don't even know if I'll really see him today. Based on my experience, it's unlikely that he'll want to switch treatment. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't. Believe me, I trust you guys from RO more than anyone else in this world! IF THERE'S ANY WAY I CAN SWITCH TREATMENT MYSELF, LET ME KNOW AND I WILL!!!

I'm searching for those meds online and can't find them for sale on brazilian websites. I've found sulfamethazine (associated to other stuff) only in ear drops for cats. At this point, I wonder if the vet gave ampicillin 'cause we don't have those meds.... :( and if I'll have to watch Carrot slowly dying...

Really wish we could help you and carrot at the moment, if there is anything just say

Maybe you could try asking the vet about using one of the sulfa medications. Or if you have feed stores for farm animals, they may have something there as some of these medications are ones that are also used in chickens and other livestock that get coccidiosis.

It is possible that her immune system may fight off what ever has made her sick, and if her diarrhea was caused by bacteria and not the parasite, then the antibiotic she's now getting will probably help. Your doing the best you can with what you have available. I'm sure it's frustrating sometimes, to not have access to things you need to help these rabbits.

Jemm, you can help me by giving a big kiss on your bunnies for me :) They're so cute and smart! Thank you so much, your support and prayers mean a lot to me!!!!

I can ask the vet about the sulfa meds when I see him. He was supposed to come give Carrot a shot here today, but didn't. Told me to call again tomorrow to remind him. I called today but he didn't answer, I left a msg but he didn't call back.. I hope I find him more easily tomorrow.

She made a few tiny droppings, didn't eat anymore but I guess I can make her eat a little more. Her belly still roars loud and peroxide still reacts (bubbles) when I put it on her urine and droppings. I'm not sure if it's suppose to bubble, I guess not?
She seems ok, she can still run and play, but I know she's suffering. My heart is shattered. If she has to go, I'll accept it, I just don't want her to suffer, and I really wish she could live to see what a wonderful life she'll have! As a matter of fact, 10 days ago we lost another bunny I took care of. It seems like she had a growth and the vet didn't care. She was adopted and lived in her new home with a bunny-friend for some months.. so sad! Then my other bunny (Bilém) was adopted and now Carrot is sick... this has been a hard month for me, I'm falling apart... thank you all for your priceless support and care!

Jemm, you can help me by giving a big kiss on your bunnies for me :) They're so cute and smart! Thank you so much, your support and prayers mean a lot to me!!!!

I can ask the vet about the sulfa meds when I see him. He was supposed to come give Carrot a shot here today, but didn't. Told me to call again tomorrow to remind him. I called today but he didn't answer, I left a msg but he didn't call back.. I hope I find him more easily tomorrow.

She made a few tiny droppings, didn't eat anymore but I guess I can make her eat a little more. Her belly still roars loud and peroxide still reacts (bubbles) when I put it on her urine and droppings. I'm not sure if it's suppose to bubble, I guess not?
She seems ok, she can still run and play, but I know she's suffering. My heart is shattered. If she has to go, I'll accept it, I just don't want her to suffer, and I really wish she could live to see what a wonderful life she'll have! As a matter of fact, 10 days ago we lost another bunny I took care of. It seems like she had a growth and the vet didn't care. She was adopted and lived in her new home with a bunny-friend for some months.. so sad! Then my other bunny (Bilém) was adopted and now Carrot is sick... this has been a hard month for me, I'm falling apart... thank you all for your priceless support and care!

Her urine is orange with distinct red streaks. She only ate a little cilantro, celery and escarole. She doesn't want to eat anymore. Only a couple of bites of escarole now. She doesn't even want alfalfa.

Latest posts

Back