Carrier setup?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catlyn

Reaction score
Storm is going to the vet with us tomorrow for his first annual check as he has some crust-like scratches in his ears that we are trying to prevent from getting worse. He's also been sneezing sometimes so we're just going in to make sure that he's okay.

We got a carrier that is 61*40*38cm ( 24*15.7*15"in) in size, into which Storm fits nice and dandy. A plastic common carrier.

I've been wondering how to line the carrier? I was thinking floor-pee pad-soft safe shavings-nice carpet we're not sorry for-Storm, his hay and pellets.
Would that be good or are there better ways?

Wood pellets (mostly go to the corners, well if he still pees everywhere make it all over just a thin layer) and a layer of hay and this works perfectly. You can also mix wood pellets with some shavings it will be softer and pellets won't make noise on plastic. I wouldn't use pee pads at all, why?

Well he isn't quite used to the carrier so i don't know where he'll pee or won't so i want to make sure that he can stay dry and soft where he is. I want to put the pad in just in case he does make a marking that it wouldn't seep through and leave its smell. Of course i will make sure that he doesn't get access to it. The video was helpful, thanks!

Well he isn't quite used to the carrier so i don't know where he'll pee or won't so i want to make sure that he can stay dry and soft where he is. I want to put the pad in just in case he does make a marking that it wouldn't seep through and leave its smell. Of course i will make sure that he doesn't get access to it. The video was helpful, thanks!
Wood pellets will easily absorb any moisture so there will be nothing that could seep through and smell. Plus this is their usual toilet setup and they feel very relaxed because they are just like in their toilet but with a roof. Seriously, no pads, just wood pellets and hay. Try it at home and let him stay in for a couple hours as if you were on a trip, and you will see yourself.

I put a folded towel down first to prevent bunny from sliding around on the plastic floor of the carrier. I'll put hay in for munching. If it is a longer than usual trip, I'll put wood pellets in the back end of the carrier and put the folded towel in front of that.

Wood pellets will easily absorb any moisture so there will be nothing that could seep through and smell. Plus this is their usual toilet setup and they feel very relaxed because they are just like in their toilet but with a roof. Seriously, no pads, just wood pellets and hay. Try it at home and let him stay in for a couple hours as if you were on a trip, and you will see yourself.
Thanks for the tip! The reason why i'd initially avoided pellets in the carrier was because Musti would nicely do his business and then be covered with his business matter as well, i was just wondering how i could avoid the soaked pellet mess if it were to happen.

My rabbits seldom pee in their carrier when I take them someplace. If they do, it is not enough to soak the towel. They just make a little wet spot. I just use a towel or a baby blanket and give them a little hay. I too would avoid using pellets because of the mess it could leave. You can always bring an extra clean towel in case of a mess, and put the soiled towel in a plastic bag.

Thanks for all the tips! Mum didn't have any blankies or towels that she wouldn't mind maybe being a bit ruined so i had to do with a floor-peepad-carpet-Storm and his stuff sort of setup. He seemed fine with that but apparently he cage-raged there and dug at the carpet many times. Natural bunny behaviour i believe.

Latest posts

Back