Carpet chewing

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mini_Rex

Reaction score
Disclaimer: in the pic I was deep cleaning Rocket's house and kicked him out during the process as he loves to try to attack the cleaning brush. 🤦‍♀️

Rocket has A MILLION toys. Some of which he loves to toss around his house and in the air. But despite all of this and the best hay and pellets, and all the attention and free x pen time all day while I work from home, he STILL chews and rips up the carpet that covers the metal bars on his ramp to exit his cage. That ramp needs a cover otherwise his actual feet could get caught between the bars. Today he was so adamant on ripping that carpet that I made him go back in his house and closed the door on him.

Will vinegar work? Thing is, that ramp is to help him in and out of his house.

Attachments

• 20230716_143210~2.jpg
    20230716_143210~2.jpg
    840.8 KB · Views: 1
The best I can suggest is to remove the carpet from his purview (can an alternative be fashioned?), or make sure the carpet is disposable/replaceable and buy a few at a time so you can replace as needed.

I take it this isn't carpet that's part of the house's flooring, correct? (If so, you're lucky! My doe has chewed carpet throughout the entire house :()

I have not found vinegar to deter rabbits. A small amount of black pepper might, but it's not pleasant for the rabbit.

Hm, I paint the parts of my outdoor hutches the rabbits aren't supposed to chew with diluted rabbit urine, For small patches that might even be a solution for indoor stuff if you let it dry for some days.

That's why I don't like the design of those stupid ramps. Anyway, am I recalling correctly that the ramp/door is always open because you have an exercise pen around it? If so, then you could just remove the ramp altogether. He can hop in and out.

Alternatively, you could use binder clips to snugly wrap fleece around the ramp. He might chew that too, but that would be safer for him.

That's why I don't like the design of those stupid ramps. Anyway, am I recalling correctly that the ramp/door is always open because you have an exercise pen around it? If so, then you could just remove the ramp altogether. He can hop in and out.

Alternatively, you could use binder clips to snugly wrap fleece around the ramp. He might chew that too, but that would be safer for him.
You seem knowledgeable and I’m glad this question was posted. My 4 month old LOVES biting/digging at the indoor wall to wall carpet. What would you suggest for that? I understand this is an instinctive behavior but I’d really like to protect my carpet. Rugs maybe?

The best I can suggest is to remove the carpet from his purview (can an alternative be fashioned?), or make sure the carpet is disposable/replaceable and buy a few at a time so you can replace as needed.

I take it this isn't carpet that's part of the house's flooring, correct? (If so, you're lucky! My doe has chewed carpet throughout the entire house :()

I have not found vinegar to deter rabbits. A small amount of black pepper might, but it's not pleasant for the rabbit.
It's the ramp in the picture that has the carpet. Our 2nd floor is carpeted but Rocket most likely will never see the 2nd level.

I'll remove the ramp then. Earlier he apparently tried to rip up carpet from the top while in his house and then the ramp fell with a BANG! He was looking down at the ramp from his house door with an expression like "Oh no! What did I do? Now what?" 🤣
I died laughing. I didn't see him try to pull it. I heard the bang and turned around quickly and saw what happened.
This guy is trouble lol.

Yes, I keep the door to his house open as I sit right next to the set up.

You seem knowledgeable and I’m glad this question was posted. My 4 month old LOVES biting/digging at the indoor wall to wall carpet. What would you suggest for that? I understand this is an instinctive behavior but I’d really like to protect my carpet. Rugs maybe?
Hormones could be affecting your rabbit's behavior. That can cause excessive destructive chewing. You'll definitely want to put a stop to it or it could become a habit that remains even after being spayed. (Not all rabbits will dig and chew carpet. There are many that do not.)

Is she chewing in just a particular area? Sometimes they go after the carpet just in the corner. If this is the case, it can be blocked with a square of porcelain tile. If it's all over, then, for now, keep her off of the carpet. Either put her elsewhere or cover the carpet.

The type of carpet can make a difference too. Generally, low pile carpet isn't as much of a target as medium to high pile carpet. so if you need to put down an area rug over top of the carpet, look for low pile without loops.

It's the ramp in the picture that has the carpet. Our 2nd floor is carpeted but Rocket most likely will never see the 2nd level.
Oooh, I see now. I had to blow the pic up -- I thought it was a bed the first time!

I never even tried a ramp with my rabbits' xpen, but it was on carpets/rugs, so jumping over the bottom of the opening wasn't an issue.

You say he'll never see the second floor, but he might feel differently :D My doe took my stairs running the first time she encountered them... I didn't even have time to stop her. (She has since claimed the entire floor as hers, including the stairs.)

Oooh, I see now. I had to blow the pic up -- I thought it was a bed the first time!

I never even tried a ramp with my rabbits' xpen, but it was on carpets/rugs, so jumping over the bottom of the opening wasn't an issue.

You say he'll never see the second floor, but he might feel differently :D My doe took my stairs running the first time she encountered them... I didn't even have time to stop her. (She has since claimed the entire floor as hers, including the stairs.)
There's a 50 lb dog in the house. Rocket can't leave the master bedroom/office space hybrid room.

I removed the ramp completely though. He hops in and out and actually binkies and zoomies around more. He seems to enjoy it. 😃

Latest posts

Back