Carefresh Colors.. Bad reaction??

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hadley.

Reaction score
You may have seen my post in infirmary about my lop having irritated skin, flaky dandruff and fur loss/bald patches right above her tail on her bum..

I did some thinking and this started happening again when I changed her bedding to this pretty pink fluffy Carefresh bedding. It has "safe non toxic dyes" used in it but I am doubtful they are entirely safe.

When she had this before in the summer i was using the Carefresh white- which has clearly been bleached to get it white.

Has anyone used this Colors type and seen their rabbits have a reaction to it? I suspect it *could* be the pink dye...

I only use the natural one....but if the timing is right for the pink, try switching to carefresh natural and see if that solves it....

Bought the natural kind today and i'm going to scrub her cage down. Fingers crossed it's an easy fix.

Can't seem to find any info online about rabbits having reactions to such dyes..

I'm hoping this will take care of the problem. The dyed stuff is 1st bleached then dyed, so maybe people haven't posted about problems because they haven't tried it. When they say a dye is safe, they mean it isn't been proved harmful enough to be pulled from the market.

Hope that fixes it. I have never used carefresh. I use Kaytee Soft Granule Blend (the unscented kind) in my litter boxes and LOVE it. I did buy a bag of the carefresh for after my girls spays because my vet recomended it. Turns out one rabbit refuses to go to the bathroom on it and the other eats it. Neadless to say I have an almost full 60l bag of it in storage.

Latest posts

Back