Can't help but be ashamed to be human....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really really hope that's right.

However my faith in the morality of man is completely shattered, and atm frankly I would be prepared to believe they could do anything.

jcottonl02 wrote:
irishlops wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
jcottonl02 wrote:
I am sure God wouldn't have created earth and all if he knew this was how it was going to be, end.

I know this isnt a religious debate, so I don't mean to turn it into that. But personally I believe that God has given us any knowledge that we have. That doesn't mean that everything humans do with the knowledge is perfect, but I also believe that it comes full circle and that he has planned check points along the way.;)
i dont want this to be pointed out, but the world will end anyway sometime. its in the bible..

Well, as I don't believe in God, I don't believe the Bible either.

But you are right.

As the world was started by a Big Bang- there is no denying this- it's scientific fact with much evidence-, and the asteroid landing in Mexico which wiped out an entire species millions of years ago, there will inevitably come a time where either we are wiped out, and life begins again, or the whole world is destroyed.

The sun will die- it's hydrogen is running out- and when the sun dies, we will die. But tbh the world will be dead long before then anyway

There is no such thing as a "scientific fact". In science, nothing can be proven right, it can only be proven wrong.

Anyway, moving on...the media makes things out to be a lot worse than they are. For millions of years, the Earth has been changing. Species come, species go, it's a part of nature. Did you know that humans actually have very little effect on 'global warming'? Sure, we do affect it to some point. We are, in fact, living here. But if we were to completely stop ALL of our actions related to the progress of global warming, the process would not stop, nor would it make any significant difference in the timeframe of which it's supposed to happen. Pretty much any researched scientist will share this information with you. Unfortunately, the general public is not very well educated on this topice, thanks to the media.

I'm sorry to say that humans are extremely conceded, arrogant beings overall. The Earth does NOT revolve around us.:pEverything that is happening is a cyclic effect that has been going on for millions of years. If anything, we are disrupting natural balance by tying to SAVE all the species that are threatened by the cycle at this time.

jcottonl02 wrote:
Great points. :) I can definately see that side of it.

There is an arguement from some people that for exmaple, the hole in the ozone could have already been there, and we just never noticed it before. This is perfectly possible.
Also- noone can be 100% certain that we are causing global warming etc. as we don't know enough yet.

However, the overwhelming evidence is that in fact these things are our fault, and we have caused them.

However!!!!!!!!
There is another guilty species!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol this is quite funny, but when cows...produce gas, they produce SO much methane in a single fart that fields of cows are actually contributing substantially to global warming lol.

Yes, it's completely true that cows produce methane, but do you know who else produces methane?
HUMANS
and no one advocates getting rid of them.

On another note though, in 80 years (from 1925 to 2005) the number of dairy cows in the state of NY alone has decreased from 1,347,000 to 648,000 while milk yield, per cow has increased from 5,200 lb/yr to 18,639 lb/yr on average. You would be hard pressed to name another industry that has made such significant leaps in efficiency. The methane emissions have also decreased from 135,278 tons/yr to 108,837. That's right, methane emissions from cows are decreasing but milk production on a whole has nearly doubled (7 billion lbs to 12 billion lbs /yr)

There is also technology available, Rumensin, an antibiotic grade feed additive that reduces methane production in cows, but there are people who are very much against additives that prevent the widespread usage of that kind of technology.

In other words, do cows produce methane? Yes.
Is the diary industry doing something about it? Absolutely.
When people hear about cows producing methane do they realize the advancements being made in decreasing methane emissions from cows? Absolutely not.

(Sorry, I'm an Animal Science major and we just discussed this in one of my classes.)

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:

There is no such thing as a "scientific fact". In science, nothing can be proven right, it can only be proven wrong.

Anyway, moving on...the media makes things out to be a lot worse than they are. For millions of years, the Earth has been changing. Species come, species go, it's a part of nature. Did you know that humans actually have very little effect on 'global warming'? Sure, we do affect it to some point. We are, in fact, living here. But if we were to completely stop ALL of our actions related to the progress of global warming, the process would not stop, nor would it make any significant difference in the timeframe of which it's supposed to happen. Pretty much any researched scientist will share this information with you. Unfortunately, the general public is not very well educated on this topice, thanks to the media.

I'm sorry to say that humans are extremely conceded, arrogant beings overall. The Earth does NOT revolve around us.:pEverything that is happening is a cyclic effect that has been going on for millions of years. If anything, we are disrupting natural balance by tying to SAVE all the species that are threatened by the cycle at this time.
First of all, there is such thing as scientific fact. As I'm probably not best one to explain it- here is a legitimate definition:

"In the most basic sense, a scientific fact is an objective and verifiable observation; in contrast with a hypothesis or theory, which is intended to explain or interpret facts.[21] Thus, for example, it is a fact that objects of smaller mass are attracted to objects of greater mass, and the theory of gravitation explains why this is so. See also Evolution as theory and fact."

What you say about the media is, in a lot of senses, true, however we cannot know that global warming would happen at the same rate if we weren't around.
Scientists know carbon emissions from fossil fuels contribute greatly to global warming, and patterns and graphs have been studied over many years, seeing the link between the rate of fossil fuel usage, and global warming, and undeniably the two are linked. Apparently the link was made after the Industrial Revolution- much work was done on whether humans directly impacted on the earth by causing global warming, and by Feb 2007 the IPCC claimed it was 90% certainty that human activity was the primary cause of global warming since 1950.

If anything, we are disrupting natural balance by tying to SAVE all the species that are threatened by the cycle at this time.

Yep this is totally true, but I didn't imply this. We shouldn't try and save any species. Like I said before, it's the circle of life. Species come and species go- its life.
What I will not agree with is humans causing species to become extinct before their time by their own ignorance and selfishness, then trying to reintroduce them, when the ecosystem has already accounted for their loss. We just don't know enough to meddle in the way we do.
We muck things up, then try to rectify things and muck it up even more.

Missyscove- Yes, it's completely true that cows produce methane, but do you know who else produces methane?
HUMANS
and no one advocates getting rid of them.

If you expel 500 litres of methane each day then I would advocate getting rid of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL I am joking of course.:biggrin2:

However, cows account for 14% of the world's methane emissions, so reducing that would not help entirely tbh. It is just a very funny concept. Lol i have worked around cows for a while and I swear all they do is fart lol!!

ETS- Wow animal science major sounds great! I'll be started my Zoology degree this year, and then onto either marine ecology or animal conservation year after that.

Oh my God don't say that.....that's really quite scary. I'm not very informed on the swine flu situation- what do the experts think will happen?

Although I do know something- isn't it targeting middle aged people? I would have thought it would be more dangerous for babies and older people, but apparently the age more dangerous is 25-40 :S:S:S

:O Are you calling me middle aged? I'm only 26?!?!?!?!?!

but yes, it's supposed to get the healthy and fit and those that would normally be at risk are safer.

Noooo!!!!!! Sorry I totally used that word in the wrong way. I just meant in the middle range of age. Not baby, not older, so the middle range......

Digging...deeper.....

Lol seriously I was no suggesting that at all.

Not being rude and please no one take this as me being rude, but I'm going to be blunt. I'm just using yours as an example JC and not picking on what you have said . Did you know that humans actually have very little effect on 'global warming'? Totally not true, yes the world has been warming naturally, its changing, but its the rate at which its happening is what we have done, take a look at this graph. http://www.2012matters.co.uk/images/Gore with CO2 temp graph.jpg know look at that diffrence, yes we can put a small amount of the temperature rise down to natural warming but most of that is man made. I'm not sure if your saying "humans" like us, farting etc or "humans" like factories we have created things we have done. If your saying farting way lol, then yes we would contribute very little but If your saying things we have done I disagree, I disagree very strongly, there is no doubt no doubt at all that we have made the earth's warming speed up at such and alarming rate. My geo teacher someone who studied all over the world, focusing on global warming tells me nearly everyday that those who think global warming is natural have their heads buried in the ground lol, sorry if I offended anyone saying that. Were studying it later in the year, I am so psyched! Like totally freaking wanting so bad to get to that topic lol.

PepnFluff wrote:
Not being rude and please no one take this as me being rude, but I'm going to be blunt. I'm just using yours as an example JC and not picking on what you have said . Did you know that humans actually have very little effect on 'global warming'? Totally not true, yes the world has been warming naturally, its changing, but its the rate at which its happening is what we have done, take a look at this graph. http://www.2012matters.co.uk/images/Gore%20with%20CO2%20temp%20graph.jpg know look at that diffrence, yes we can put a small amount of the temperature rise down to natural warming but most of that is man made. I'm not sure if your saying "humans" like us, farting etc or "humans" like factories we have created things we have done. If your saying farting way lol, then yes we would contribute very little but If your saying things we have done I disagree, I disagree very strongly, there is no doubt no doubt at all that we have made the earth's warming speed up at such and alarming rate. My geo teacher someone who studied all over the world, focusing on global warming tells me nearly everyday that those who think global warming is natural have their heads buried in the ground lol, sorry if I offended anyone saying that. Were studying it later in the year, I am so psyched! Like totally freaking wanting so bad to get to that topic lol.

I think you misunderstood what I have said- I didn't say that :). I was quoting someone else. If you read back over my posts I have actually said exactly the same stuff as you have just said :) just letting you know.

Flashy noo i feel terrible now. I seriously didnt mean that! :( Lol you are most definately young and anyone would describe you as that.
Apart from stupid me of course:biggrin2: who can't speak properly.

Actually tbh I dont know where you have got that quote from because I can't find it anywhere on this thread.

Read over my posts again and you will see I have already talked about humans almost certainly being the primary cause of global warming since 1950 etc. and that graphs show this over time, and I'm sure if you read over them again you can see I have already stated with a passion everything you have just said :)

Oh god sorry, blame the tiredness :p tbh I was wondering why the sudden change of viewpoint lol, one minute it's the polar caps then its not happening haha, but now I know you were quoting it all makes perfect sense, excuse my disorentation :)

Lol no probs at all.

I totally agree with everything you've said, as can be seen from my posts :)

And i'm glad you said that thing about people burying their heads in the sand by saying global warming is natural because I totally agree there too :)

Apparently i'm blind, which is half true, but I read it properly you quoted oakridge. I think I was so excited to answer I lost the plot haha.

Ah! Soz i couldn't even find it anywhere lol- who's blind now? :D

I am totally psyched about studying Zoology at Uni this year- we will be covering a whole range of ecological modules, and I can't wait to do another conservation year after that.

I just want my whole life to be about conservation :)

PepnFluff wrote:
Not being rude and please no one take this as me being rude, but I'm going to be blunt. I'm just using yours as an example JC and not picking on what you have said . Did you know that humans actually have very little effect on 'global warming'? Totally not true, yes the world has been warming naturally, its changing, but its the rate at which its happening is what we have done, take a look at this graph. http://www.2012matters.co.uk/images/Gore%20with%20CO2%20temp%20graph.jpg know look at that diffrence, yes we can put a small amount of the temperature rise down to natural warming but most of that is man made. I'm not sure if your saying "humans" like us, farting etc or "humans" like factories we have created things we have done. If your saying farting way lol, then yes we would contribute very little but If your saying things we have done I disagree, I disagree very strongly, there is no doubt no doubt at all that we have made the earth's warming speed up at such and alarming rate. My geo teacher someone who studied all over the world, focusing on global warming tells me nearly everyday that those who think global warming is natural have their heads buried in the ground lol, sorry if I offended anyone saying that. Were studying it later in the year, I am so psyched! Like totally freaking wanting so bad to get to that topic lol.
What I said is totally true, actually. Global warming is natural and humans have very little affect on it. Regardless of whether we are here or not, it will happen. And we have not sped it up at any "alarming rate". For someone who has traveled all over the world and specialized in the area, that person certainly has no idea what they're talking about! I'm not going to post a research paper on this or anything, but many, many professors at my college have said the same thing. If you look past the media into real, reputable sources and published journal articles, there is a totally different perspective.:)

It's odd how we both think we are speaking the 'total' truth isn't it?

If you ask most scientists they will say global warming is most definately contrubited to by humans.

I most certainly do read from reputable sources who are totally unbiased and they all seem to give the impression that global warming is definately increased by humans.

Like I said before, it is a little bit of a coincidence that very soon after the Industrial Revolution began, the rate of global warming soared- and this cannot be disputed. Global warming has soared since about 1950, because they have data to prove it.

What they cannot prove, however, is that humans have affected it. However, most reputable scientists who study global warming will say they are 90% certain that humans are the primary reason that global warming has increased so rapidly, due to our sudden realisation and use of fossil fuels in such a drastic way.

I'm sure global warming is natural. But not at this extent. Very slight global warming might occur without us, but it is the common belief from educated people that we affect it greatly.

Scientists don't have anything to gain by scaring the population.

Scientists have a lot to gain by scaring the community. They benefit financially for their "research" and by jumping in with political parties, they benefit socially too. More popularity= even more money.

This isnt to say that all science is false. But in this situation, it certainly is. Funny what the media does to people. I'll have to go find articles I guess...

Latest posts

Back