Can you introduce rabbits and guinea pigs?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunnylovin1093

Reaction score
Hi so pretty soon Im getting a bunny and I also currently have 2 guinea pigs. My rabbit and the guinea pigs are not going to be living together but I was wondering (after a couple of weeks so bunny can settle in) would it be ok to introduce my guinea pigs to my rabbit in a play area on netural territory? They would be supervised the whole time.
:headflick:

Yes, it is possible, and some have done this in the past but I wouldn't recommend it. If you do, you need to be careful because rabbits can bully guinea pigs. If you are going to do it, I would still house them separately, and if they tolerate it, allow them to have supervised playtime. While many people do put rabbits and guinea pigs together, there are many reasons as to why this isn't a good idea.

Rabbits have extremely powerful back-legs, so strong that the force can kill a guinea pig if it should accidentally get in the way of this. Also, sometimes rabbits give assertive nips on the head to show dominance.

Obviously, the rabbit would still have to be spayed or neutered to decrease hormonal/aggressive behavior. People think that they don't have to spay/neuter since there is no chance of pregnancy between a rabbit/guinea pig, but it still has to be done for their safety.

Last edited:
Back before people knew how to neuter bunnies they would get them guinea pig companions. It's generally ok but make sure they have different food. Guinea pigs require different diet than bunnies. Some things to look out for is the pig getting bullied. Bunnies have strong back legs that can hurt the pigs.

Agree with what's been said above, it can be done, but it's generally not recommended. :)

Hi thanks for the replys. My rabbit and guinea pigs will NOT be living together even if they get along great when I introduce them. My real question was would it be ok ( if they get along well) to let them have supervised playtime together?

Rabbits can carry bordertella, pasturella and other bacteria and parasites that don't affect them, but can be deadly to guinea pigs. It would be best if they did not have direct contact with each other.

Hi thanks for the replys. My rabbit and guinea pigs will NOT be living together even if they get along great when I introduce them. My real question was would it be ok ( if they get along well) to let them have supervised playtime together?

Yes you can have supervised playtime. I'm not going to recommend it and I don't know if it would work out. Like I said, rabbits can bully guinea pigs and end up hurting them.

My lionhead has been living with a guinea pig for two years and they do fine. But they've been together there hole life so it may be diffrent

It really depends on the situation, the rabbit, and the guinea pig. I have seen people whose guinea pig and rabbit get along very well, and ive seen cases where rabbits will kill guinea pigs. When I adopted my rabbit it was after the guineas lived in my room and it was already their territory in a way, so my rabbit was already used to their smell and sounds. When I had my rabbit for at least two months, I decided to let the two out to play at the same time and my huge rabbit became a little cavy slave. They would chase her around and play in her cage and she didnt mind. They even cuddled and slept on the floor together. I didn't ever let them in the cage together for long periods of time since my rabbit was so big and might of accidentally hurt them or got annoyed. If they do get along, remember that rabbits and guinea pigs have different languages and cannot communicate, which could annoy or hurt one's feelings. My rabbit, even though she liked them, she got mad when she would groom them and they didn't like it/ didnt groom her back.

Rabbits and guinea pigs can get along really well atleast everytime I've tried it, it's turned out great and I've had many pigs and rabbits my rabbit right now gets along with all my pigs, well except my one boar Gilbert he hates her and pulls out all her fur but everyone else gets along really well my rabbit lives In my c and c cage with my 8 female pigs and it works great, no bullying or being nasty just love and friendship, my rabbit occasionally lives with my boar Hodgins as well and again they get along swimmingly.

Rabbits and guinea pigs can get along really well atleast everytime I've tried it, it's turned out great and I've had many pigs and rabbits my rabbit right now gets along with all my pigs, well except my one boar Gilbert he hates her and pulls out all her fur but everyone else gets along really well my rabbit lives In my c and c cage with my 8 female pigs and it works great, no bullying or being nasty just love and friendship, my rabbit occasionally lives with my boar Hodgins as well and again they get along swimmingly.
I would try and see if your g pig gets along with your bunny just make sure your there in case anything goes wrong:brown-bunny:group2:

Latest posts

Back