Can I house my new bun near my fixed buns while waiting on his neuter?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurennbunns

Reaction score
I didn't know if this was advisable or not...any advice would be appreciated. We are hoping he will be able to get into the vet within the next two weeks.

As long as they are not able to get to each other they should be fine. They could bite each other through the bars, so don't put their cages directly next to each other. Are you planing on bonding them? What gender are they?

Ideally we're trying to bond a group. We have a fixed pair, a neutered rescue that is living next to them in the process of bonding and we took on this LAST abandoned male that is the one who we are getting ready to fix. I just want all the buns in one space and thought they could get used to one another. The bonded pair has free roam of that room, the other rescue is in a large x-pen setup...my only "aggressive" bun is the male in the pair (of course he is the tiny 2lb one ...little man syndrome).

You don't want your bonded pair to be able to go up and mess with your rescues. That will make it harder when you try to bond them, because the bonded pair will feel like they already have dominion over the rescues. Where as you want all of the rabbits to feel equal. When you bond them, try bonding them one at a time so that your bonded pair doesn't pair up to hurt your rescues.

You don't want your bonded pair to be able to go up and mess with your rescue. That will make it harder when you try to bond them, because the bonded pair will feel like they already have dominion over the rescue. Where as you want all of the rabbits to feel equal. When you bond them, try bonding them one at a time so that your bonded pair doesn't pair up to hurt your rescue.
That makes sense...maybe I will let them swap off free run of that room? My rescue is SO sweet and my Holland is adorable but he's a punk ...our girl is nice enough. Thanks for the advice...equal footing is definitely a good point!

You may want to take a look at the following article for pointers. Scroll way, way down for the title, Rabbit Groups and Trios.
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

If one is going to attempt group bonding, it is recommended to have no more than 1 male, the rest females.
I appreciate you sending me this. We have heard equal for both sides and figured it was worth a shot. The rescue we work with has had success with a "herd" of mixed-sexed buns...figured it was worth a try .

You may want to take a look at the following article for pointers. Scroll way, way down for the title, Rabbit Groups and Trios.
http://www.cottontails-rescue.org.uk/information/bonding-bunnies/

If one is going to attempt group bonding, it is recommended to have no more than 1 male, the rest females.
I'd sell my soul for a trio. The breeder where I bought Goose from just posted seal point babies for sale and I actually started counting out my pennies before I realized I have no space for three rabbits if they all refuse to bond. Two I can do. Three? No way.

Will you post updates for us, laurennbunns? I will be attempting bonding in few months and I'd appreciate hearing about your successes!

Absolutely! I am no expert, but I just had to help out these two sweet rescues (missing ear/battered bun and abandoned Easter baby). Hoping we will eventually make it work with my pair...I am very stubborn, so hopefully I'll win out ☺️. I will definitely keep you updated on how it goes!

Latest posts

Back