Can anyone recommend a good vacuum cleaner?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Comes with the usual washable HEPA filter, attachments et al but the best thing about it is that it's easy to take apart when the inevitable clump of hay gets stuck somewhere.

I want to add about the Dyson......

Amelia has always been deathly afraid of my old vacuum. Every time I vacuumed, she would cower in her house until it was over. The Dyson is much quieter than my old Dirt Devil bagless upright. While I'm vacuuming, she will come out and check it out, sniff the end of the hose, and sit and eat.

So it's nicer for me, and for the bunnies!

For anyone looking for a Dyson, but has time to wait....They periodically discontinue models, and those ones will be deeply discounted for awhile to get rid of them. (Mine's a discontinued model, I got it for half price with free shipping; still covered by the 5-year warranty.)

I believe right now, Dyson has a $100 off deal if you order from their website. There's also a different deal, you can get a free Dyson handheld if you spend more than $499. This one's good at retailers like Macys, Best Buy, Target, etc.

Macys.com has the DC14, with an accessory kit, on sale, but it ends today (March 8).

(I read a forum geared to finding good deals on things, Dysons are really popular there. With some patience, you can get good discounts on these. That's how I found mine on sale.)

http://www.bissell.com/Products/c/UprightVacuum/p/4104powergroompet/product.aspx

I have the bissel power groom , in the same lines as Jadeicing's , and i like it too because it has a clearish hose so if there is a clog you will be able to see where in the hose it is. I am KILLER on vaccums, i break every vac i have once a year and have to replace it so i am scared to get a Dyson because if i pay that price for one i will never be able to buy a vac again,lol. The thing i like about mine is the clear hose, and the filter part inside the canister is just a hard rubber that you can easily take out and wash, so no smell from a paper type filter. The other filter at the bottom is a piece of foam that is easily washed too, this is great for me because i dont have to keep buying all these filters and thing for the vaccumm

I have the Dyson Animal Upright, and I love it, but it does get clogged (I have 3 cats and a big NZW bunny.) Even so, it does a great job. And it does come apart for you to find where the clog is.

If you buy one at Bed, Bath & Beyond, you can use the 20% off coupon for it - it comes up to something like $110 off!

Make sure you register it when you get it - we did and were able to call tech support to find out where it was clogged when we couldn't find it on our own.

I just got that vacuum and LOVE IT. It's so much better than the one we had.

kherrmann3 wrote:
I have the Hoover Deluxe Elite Rewind. That doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, now does it?

It has:
- Lifetime Hepa Filter.
- 24 foot cord reel (I'm lazy and don't like winding up cords, so I press a button).
- Bagless design w/ EZ empty dirt cup (which is easy to dump/clean).
- Comes with a pet hair cleaning tool.
- Air flow indicator.

I guess my mum got mine at Best Buy. We really love this thing. It's bright red (in case anyone goes to look for it). Also, it comes with all of the little attachments for the hose. The hose comes off the back and you can just attach whatever is needed. It has 3 attachments; the edging tool, the upholstery thingy, and the pet hair one. The pet hair one has its own bristles that rotate when you add suction from the hose. It works great! I can get everything done with the one vacuum (as opposed to my mum's big fancy, clunky vacuum + handheld mini cleaner).

JadeIcing wrote:
We just got a Lift-Off Revolution Pet Vacuum from Bissel. LOVE it. It has a clear hose so when we get a clog we can see where it is. Mind ya its amazing cleaning up after the bunnies.

Bissel Lift-Off Revolution Pet Vacuum

We want this next...

Bissel ProHeat 2x

That's the vacuum I have and I love it too! It's great for the cat and dog fur and the bunny poops!

I'm with you on the ProHeat too!!!! That'll be my next big purchase!

having killed vacuum cleaners in the past i now have a morphy richards cyclonic bagless cylinder. it's designed for pet hairs - useful with two labradors and bunnies. a whole range of tools and two hoses - one is extra long for stairs. it's also very easy to unclog:D

am very pleased so far - took over an hour choosing it as we tested everyone in the store on their floor. it's also quite light - i found the dysons very heavy.

it must be quite good as ive had it a year and it's still going.

BethM wrote:
I just got a Dyson in January. I'd been wanting one for awhile, and finally bit. I did manage to get mine on sale, for about half price.

I've got lots of time and still waiting for a good deal for a Dyson. They never go on sale here but I know exactly what I want. It is the Dyson AnimalDC23 canister which is what SOOOSKA has. The canister has a longer hose and you don't have to lift the vacuum up like a upright. But I believe the upright models has a stronger suction.

Since the Dyson have been out for several years now, other brands have copied or made their models similar to Dyson for a lower price.

Like I said, I have time before I need another vacuum so when a good deal comes around, I will be ready.

By the way, I have the Dyson Handheld vacuum. I use it everyday to clean up the bunnies cages for hair and poops, and I just love it.

We have a Dyson! I've been converted to them ever since my mum and dad got the very first model years ago. It's still going to this day, although they replaced it- it now lives with my friend lol.

We have this one:

http://www.dyson.co.uk/store/product.asp?product=DC19

We got it in an Argos clearance store at Christmas. It's meant to be £187 but we paid £110! :D

It's really good at getting all the bunny hair up- I've just been vaccuming under our bed as it was looking like Narnia under there with all of Dotty's fur, and it even got it all off the tightweave mats we have. It does get clogged, but only if I try to suck up piles of hay with it lol, and it's quite easy to unclog- the hose unattaches at the base of the vaccum so you can easily just pull the offending items out.

I'd love one of the cylinder ones that wrap around so they store better, but I don't think I'd go for an upright because I'd never be able to get it up and down the stairs :expressionless

I will never go back to a regular vacuum. I use a shopvac and they are the best thing next to sliced wheat bread. I can clean cages...I have rats too, and the floors and everything else without a care. Its great!

whaleyk98 wrote:
I will never go back to a regular vacuum. I use a shopvac and they are the best
I have the Filter Queen for regular cleaning, a large 6 HPshopvacwith the2 1/2" hose for the rabbit run, and the Dyson Handheld for the cages. I still sweep up hay and larger debris before I vacuum though.

Pet_Bunny wrote:
BethM wrote:
I just got a Dyson in January. I'd been wanting one for awhile, and finally bit. I did manage to get mine on sale, for about half price.
Like I said, I have time before I need another vacuum so when a good deal comes around, I will be ready.

By the way, I have the Dyson Handheld vacuum. I use it everyday to clean up the bunnies cages for hair and poops, and I just love it.
Keep your eyes out for when Dyson changes their model numbers, and you can pick up the "old" model for a decent price.

I might look into the Dyson handheld, if I can find that for a good price. I currently have a Black&Decker handheld. It is ok, and I like that it folds up for storage, but the wand part of it is really narrow, and any amount of hay clogs it up. It's fine for hair and poops, or for cleaning out the car, but not so good whenever hay is involved. (And hay is ALWAYS involved at my house!)

BethM wrote:
I might look into the Dyson handheld, if I can find that for a good price.
I got my Dyson handheld for $99.00. :D I was able to use some gift vouchers from Linen and Things. The only problem with the Dyson is that the power drains the battery very quickly, so you are limited with the amount of time you could use it before having to recharge it again.It is prefect for fast easy jobsbut for any extended time,you will run out of battery. However it works well for me and I don't think I would settle for anything else.

JadeIcing wrote:
We just got a Lift-Off Revolution Pet Vacuum from Bissel. LOVE it. It has a clear hose so when we get a clog we can see where it is. Mind ya its amazing cleaning up after the bunnies.

Bissel Lift-Off Revolution Pet Vacuum

We want this next...

Bissel ProHeat 2x

Home Depot has the Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Vacuum on sale for $150. I'm thinking about stopping by tonight and getting one.

I've had a Dirt Devil Vision for a few years, but it just doesn't seem to suction as well anymore and I'm constantly having to scrub the carpets.

Pam

I know this thread is a month old, but our vacuum just bit the dust. I spent about 3 hours (ugh) researching vacuums and we've decided on a refurbished Dyson. It's $200 with free shipping from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001MAAWK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The reviews are generally good, better than most of the other vacuums actually! I'm a little nervous that it only has a 6 month warranty, but Paul promised we can buy a new one (which costs more than twice as much but has a 5 year warranty) if this one breaks soon. Also some of the reviews said they got kind of beat up vacuums, but the company is really good about sending you a different one if that happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Dyson for my house, and I love it. The only problem I have with it is that it tends to push around bunny pebbles rather than pick them up. It does great picking up hay and stuff like that though, and itdoes really fabulous picking up all the dog, cat and bunny fur in the carpets. My parents have a Filter Queen which is almost thirty years old and still running great, too. Over the last few years they have had to have the power head rebuilt and replace a couple of hoses, and that is pretty much all the maintenance they have had to do on it. But if you think the Dyson is expensive, wait till you see the price tag on a Filter Queen! They are something like $1500 mabye more now, it's been a few years since I priced one.

Latest posts

Back