Can anyone recommend a good vacuum cleaner?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeposten

Reaction score
So, yesterday my vacuum cleaner stopped working.The motor started smoking and then it just shut itself down. I think it's because of all the extra work it's been doing lately. With therabbits I end up vacuuming every day, sometime twice! My boyfriend and I got our current vacuum cleaner from a yard sale for about $10 a few months ago when we moved in together and realized that neither of us had one. :embarrassed: It didn't work very well to begin with, but it certainly couldn't handle the mess my boys made (hay, foor, litter,etc.). Now we want to get a good one.

Can anyone suggest any brands that we should check out? we want something sturdy that will be able to handle everything we have to clean up.

Thanks!
-Amy

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is ailing, too.

After a bunch of research, the best bet seems to be the Dyson Animal. It's a bit pricey, $400 or $500 or something,but it's built for stuff like this. :)

Mine gotclogged (yet again)yesterday right after Ivacuumed up thisbig ugly spider -- the kind that bite -- and I had to start digging myfingers in there to pullout the blockage.:shock: I do believe the Dyson comes apart in all sorts of places making it easy to pull out hay and hair -- and spiders.

It's an upright/hose combo.

I REALLY want one. Unfortunately, after all these rabbits eating me out of house and home, can't afford one anymore. (Maybe I'll sell my car andride the Dyson).

sas

EDIT: Here's somebody's blog that talks about vacuum cleaners... it deteriorates into flaming at a few points, but all in all very informative. Mentions a bunch of different brands. :)

http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/003994.html

My boyfriend, the mechanical engineering major,is LUSTING after a Dyson. But so far he hasn't been able to convince met hat we should spend that much money on a vacuum. I did, however, tell him that if he wanted to purchase it himself, that he could go right ahead and do so.

I know if we got a Dyson he would spend most of his time taking it apart, and modifying it to make it work "better . . .":foreheadsmack:

I will, however, check out the Hoover wind tunnel

-Amy

Last edited by a moderator:
Ours just died a couple of weeks ago so off to Sears we went. I really wanted to get something that would also clean the hardwood floors, the last one we had (forget the brand)was a upright and I don't think it did even a halfway decent job on the floors. So, we went with a Kenmore Progessive canister vacuum and I love it!

Dysons are definetly the best make, but they are realy heavy! And very expencive yes.

My hoover is called Miele Cat and Dog. Its designed to get uphair etc that are really inbedded into your carpets etc. It is a really good alternitive hoover :D

We have a dyson that we got from sears a few years back for $400, my mom loves loves loves it. It's great for the hair (we have two golden retirevers in addition to the bunny). I definately recommend it, we haven't had any problems whatsoever with it.

hummer wrote:
Ours just died a couple of weeks ago so off to Sears wewent. I really wanted to get something that would also cleanthe hardwood floors, the last one we had (forget the brand) was aupright and I don't think it did even a halfway decent job on thefloors. So, we went with a Kenmore Progessive canister vacuumand I love it!
Same here.
We had a Sears canister for years. It worked great, but the belt on thefloor attachment would need replacing every year or so. The last timeit needed to be replaced, my wife decided to by a new vac instead.
She bought an upright...AND I HATE IT!!! It's doesn't clean aswell....it's heavy...the hose for the attachments is too short....hayclogs it up really easy, etc.

Anybunnie have an Oreck???

For our new bunnie room I'm planning on using a shop-vac with a realloooong hose on it. I'd like to put the vac outside and run the hose inthrough the window so the noise doesn't upset the bunnies.

`jim

To avoid blockages in your upright, get ahandheld dirt devil! They work great for picking up things like hay andpoops..plus you can just dump it right out, so no clogging.

I think I might shriverl up and die without my hand held vac. I use itdaily, plus use it before vacuuming to pick up anything I think mightclog.

Plus they only cost like 25 bucks :)

I think my boyfriwend and I are going to hit upa few stores and check out some of the different vacuums that some ofyou suggested.

Our former vacuum is an upright and it was pretty awful. I'm so anal about having clean floors and it drove me crazy.

-Amy

JimD wrote:
I'd like to put the vac outside and run the hose in through the window
We have a Filter Queen. Onlyproblem is the belt keeps breaking onthe carpet cleaner. And thebagless cannister is reallymessy when it's time to empty it.

The suction is good.Never had a blockage, but I dopush a broom stick handle throughthe hose to keep it clear. :D

When I first started to vacuumPebbles, I connected two hosestogether to keep the motor faraway. But Pebbles didn't careless, so I discarded the sparehose. Now the vacuumsits by her cage, so Ican vacuum the straypoos, hair and hay daily.

Rainbows! :)

Pet_Bunny wrote:
JimD wrote:
I'd like to putthe vac outside and run the hose in through the window
When I first started to vacuumPebbles, I connected two hosestogether to keep the motor faraway. But Pebbles didn't careless, so I discarded the sparehose. Now the vacuumsits by her cage, so Ican vacuum the straypoos, hair and hay daily.

Rainbows! :)
I wish I could run it without the bunnies minding, but S'more and MooShboth freak out when I do. We suspect that's how MooSh hurt her foot afew weeks ago.

Benji is also very sensitive to dust and gets runny eyes after we usethe vac in their room. Currently I wrap a sheet around the vac when Ihave to run it in the bunnie room.

I tried hooking up a long hose (pool vac hose) a while back and itended up making a sound like a fire signal.WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!! That REALLY freaked out thebuns.

I need to find a hose that's a larger diameter. Someone suggested thehose that is used for rain gutter down spouts. Its a 4 - 5 inchdiameter and can be bought in a variety of lengths.

I have the Hoover Deluxe Elite Rewind. That doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, now does it?

It has:
- Lifetime Hepa Filter.
- 24 foot cord reel (I'm lazy and don't like winding up cords, so I press a button).
- Bagless design w/ EZ empty dirt cup (which is easy to dump/clean).
- Comes with a pet hair cleaning tool.
- Air flow indicator.

I guess my mum got mine at Best Buy. We really love this thing. It's bright red (in case anyone goes to look for it). Also, it comes with all of the little attachments for the hose. The hose comes off the back and you can just attach whatever is needed. It has 3 attachments; the edging tool, the upholstery thingy, and the pet hair one. The pet hair one has its own bristles that rotate when you add suction from the hose. It works great! I can get everything done with the one vacuum (as opposed to my mum's big fancy, clunky vacuum + handheld mini cleaner).

I just got a Dyson in January. I'd been wanting one for awhile, and finally bit. I did manage to get mine on sale, for about half price.

I got the DC18 Slim, which is smaller and lighter than the other models. It really isn't heavy at all, and is fabulous. The exhaust air has a seperate filter so dust isn't thrown back into your air as you go. I used the old vacuum in the dining room (low use room) 2 days before the Dyson came, then used the Dyson in there, and was amazed at how much stuff came out of the carpet.

My Dyson replaced an upright Dirt Devil, which was a nightmare. The filter ($20/each) had to be replaced ever few months, and the exhaust blew dusty air right back out into my apartment. So much for cleaning. We probably spent more, overall, on that than we did on the Dyson, which has a washable lifetime HEPA filter.

P.S. The only difference between the regular models and the Animal models is the attachments that come with it.

Latest posts

Back